on 11 June 2013
I initially saw this product 'in the flesh' at Currys (who wanted £49.99 for it!) but a quick go on the RedLaser app showed it was cheaper by far on amazon at £23.86. I was hesitant as there have been no reviews, until this one :)
Suffice to say I am delighted and here's why:
* Firstly this is both a docking station AND a charger
* It's German made and they're sticklers for precision and quality.
* An idiot could click it together and install without having to refer to instructions.
* It's not dainty, but all of the joints and moveable parts are sturdy and look as if they'll last.
* It has the flexibility of an Olympic gymnast, but holds fast once you've set preferred position.
* It can be mounted directly to glass - with the discrete sturdy vacuum lever so no licking required (yuck!!)
* Alternatively, attach the enclosed plastic sticky circle on your dashboard then vacuum clip the unit to the circle (My circle is mounted in the VERTICAL plane and hasn't fallen off or shuddered at all).
* It can be easily swivelled from portrait to landscape mode BUT NOT ON THE GO, as this is a two handed job unless you've a willing passenger.
* It includes charger attachments for all phone types (mine's an iPhone 4S and I can assure apple users it definitely charges happily and we all know how "difficult" non-apple products can be despite claims of compatibility)
* Phone is very well padded to back and sides and bottom bent teeth move apart to allow charger to dock with phone.
* Padded side arms squeeze in to exactly match your phone width.
* Discrete side button releases your phone from its steely yet padded grip.
* Home screen button (iPhone) can be pressed without any unnerving movement and access to touchscreen is unhindered.
* I've rattled over several manhole covers and roadworks and there is barely any vibration and it hasn't detached itself.
* It also includes an AUX cable if your not blue toothed for music.
* With free NavFree app (also superb by the way) downloaded on phone, and phone installed in landscape/portrait, I can do away with my TomTom.
If you're merely looking for a phone cradle there are cheaper options out there, but if you want cradle and charging capabilities in one well-made flexible unit, I think you'd probably be very pleased with this iGrip Universal Charging Dock.