Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
How many detective novels can you write based around the same morgue without getting boring? Well at least three if this latest outing from Coroner Martin and his ghostly sidekick Pascha are anything to go by. This time bodies are being mutilated during the night or disappearing all together and the forensic medicine department has a new bureaucratic idiot of a boss. Pascha falls in love with a beautiful Russian who unfortunately for him is still alive and Martin's relationship with Birgit stumbles along heading for disaster.
This series always reminds me of 'Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)' but Pascha is much more fun than the sanctimonious Hopkirk in his white suit and you can feel his frustration at being alone in the world except for his contact with Martin.
A clever little twist in the tale is the way that Pascha has become the author of his own novels and there's a clever little twist in the epilogue on this one.
Overall this is a very entertaining series and yes you can easily figure out the plot as it goes along but that in no way detracts from the enjoyment of the story.
on 15 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have read and loved both the previous books in this series, and this one has been another delight.
Pathologist Martin and ghost Pascha, thrown together by circumstance on Pascha's death in the first story, are still pursuing their unlikely and, on Martin's side, unwanted partnership, as nobody but Martin can hear Pascha. Pascha is still the bumptious arrogant brat he was in life, but maybe he is learning a little humility, and Martin - is Martin, still totally uncool.
In this case they must deal with a useless, and possibly worse, new boss; the theft of corpses from the morgue; overwork and overcrowding due to the renting out of morgue drawers; Martin's often faltering romance with Birgit (usually due to Pascha's machinations); Pascha's own hopeless love for a live Russian girl and a mystery involving a cosmetic clinic.
I do not find Pascha lovable, but I do find him irresistable. He has managed, via Martin's computer, to get a publisher interested in his stories and I loved the twist at the end.
I don't know how many more books the duo may have in them, but this one keeps up the standard very well indeed. I like the Cologne setting, the dialogue, and Pascha's overview of life and the living. May the series continue.
VINE VOICEon 14 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the 3rd novel I have read about Pasha the Ghost who helps Martin Gansewein, a coroner, in Cologne, Germany.

I enjoyed reading this - though I think the first 2 were better - but it is good to carry on reading a series and I would recommend the reading of these 2 first novels in order before this one.

In this story the coroner's office has a new director who is very penny pinching and has many money saving ideas as well as some bizarre money making schemes.

Corpses begin disappearing and organs begin to disappear from corpses in the local cemetery...

As in my previous reviews I think these books would have been better if translated more into English than American slang used by Pasha - as I think that would have given the books a more European feel.

Pasha's comments about his book editor I found a bit annoying but it did not detract too much from the interesting & amusing story.
on 18 May 2014
I've read all three of the Morgue Drawer books. I quite enjoyed the first one even though it was a bit stilted and of course totally impossible, but I thought the idea might be developed into quite a good series. The second book wasn't as good as the first, and this one is realy quite awful. It drags for the fist 70% or so until it comes together a bit and it is more obvious what is actually going on. The villain is also obvious almost from the first appearance and Pascha's reaction to them.
Then there is the problem of Pascha's books being published. How he gets away with writing them on Martin's computer and no-one knows about it (including Martin it seems) is just another unexplained mystery. The only tiny part that made me smile was the twist in the final sentence of the epilogue!
I won't be reading any more of these books. They are quite well written and translated from a purely grammatical and spelling point of view, but the stories, and this one in particular, are turning into complete rubbish and I think the idea has run its course. Another ghost (as in book 2) would have helped a little bit too.
VINE VOICEon 24 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am enjoying this series, this is book 3 and although not the best book in the series I still think it is well worth a read. Poor old Martin continues to struggle with being the only person Pascha can communicate with. While Martin is wishing he could get rid of Pascha his life is complicated by disappearing corpses and a new boss with radical money saving ideas. He is looking for a quiet life with his girlfriend Birgit but instead finds himself having to solve crime and deal with a lovesick ghost! This is a good read but I recommend reading the first two books in the series first to fully appreciate it.
It was not until this book arrived, that I discovered that this was not the run of the mill mystery. I was a little apprehensive that this kind of novel would be too cute and fussy. However, by the end of the first chapter I was hooked. This is the third in a series of morgue mystery/thrillers, but it is a stand alone book.

The author, Jutta Profijt, went to visit a morgue and the unusual surroundings gave birth to a series of books taking place in a morgue in Cologne, Germany. The spirit of a man, Pasha, an ex-car thief and ladies man, hangs out at the Institute for Forensic Medicine. For some reason this morgue feels home to him, and he wasn't forced to leave. He can see the other spirits arrive and leave for destinations unknown. Besides, he has a friend, Martin, the coroner. Poor Martin is the only human who can hear Pasha, and though he has grown fond of Pasha, he is not the type who wants a spirit living near him. Pasha, however, turns out to be a terrific partner in investigation. He is able to lead Martin to places no one else can see. The downside is that Pasha wants to inhabit Martin's life, and that is not OK. Martin tries every devious trick to get Pasha to leave, to no avail. Martin and his girlfriend, Birgit, who has no idea that Pasha exists, are stuck with this spirit.

We get to know Martin's colleagues at the morgue. All of them have characteristics we find fun and irritating. Katrin, is the closest to Martin. Smart and beautiful, she has no love for their new boss, 'Piggy Bank'. His only mission is to save money and in the meantime makes life a little miserable. It is his idea to rent out the morgue drawers to pull in some money. There are many adventures in this novel, some are amusing and others a little less so. We learn about life in the morgue and the bodies that inhabit this place, and how they come to be.

Pasha can be wearing, but entertaining, and he does grow on you. The writing and characters are so well done, that they draw you in, and you are attached.

Recommended. 04-13-13
on 2 November 2014
A thoroughly enjoyable read although the plot was a bit obvious. However, there was an excellent twist at the end. My only criticism is that some of the Americanisms do not sit easy with British English. That being said, I would still recommend this book.
on 24 December 2013
For once the 'I love it' that flags up beside a 5 star review is absolutely accurate. I found the book almost as funny as its predecessor, but marred by the introduction of an unnecessary plot line, but I would have no hesitation in suggesting it as a read for anyone with anything of a sense of humour.
on 23 February 2013
This is another good read lots of plot twists and turns and again plenty of humor. I am fan of this author since the first book I read. I like the idea of Pasha helping Martin and nobody realising that its not all Martins own work. I only raed about three authors normally as books are too expensive but I've become a fan of a few more authors since getting my kindle trouble is I can't keep up with all the books I have bought, but the morgue series keeps me going for now.
on 30 December 2012
This is the third installment in this series and it was as enjoyable as the previous two however I find that the plots and sub-plots are becoming a little more obvious as the series progresses. In saying that, the characters keep the book interesting enough to keep you reading on.

I'm not convinced that this is the last we have heard from this crime busting duo and if a fourth book is published, I'll be sure to check it out.