Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.98

on 27 May 2012
This charming little novel uses circumstance to bring together four women you would never expect to be friends otherwise and sets them on a life-changing road trip.
It is sweet in its idea and really presses home the idea of being a master of your own destiny - especially in relation to Marnie.
The characters are a mixed bunch - I found it hard to like Rita, a boring old fuddy duddy outside of her circumstance, and Marnie - a martyred victim, but otherwise the story itself captured me and I finished the book in a few days.
The ending is perfect for those who like all loose ends tied up and it's a very easy read, but at times it can lack a little substance.
VINE VOICEon 10 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I must admit i haven't read anything else by this author but thought the story sounded different to things I normally read (true crime).

It follows the story of 4 women, varying in age- 3 who meet in a grief group and a fellow neighbor. The women all all going through some sort of crisis in their lives but when a road trip is suggested to Vegas all the women are excited to go.

There is much laughter and soul searching along the way, but ultimately they find out about each other and help to share their grief and make plans for the future.

You follow the women as circumstances change the way they look at life and how things will be different when they get home

I read this book over 3 nights and 1 very lazy Sunday morning lie in, had to know what would happen next.

Great book for a sunny lazy day or to take on holiday.
on 21 February 2013
Why oh why do I procrastinate so. I received THE LONG WAY HOME by Karen McQuestion a few months back and for some reason it has been languishing on my TBR shelf unread. Had I known how much pleasure I would experience reading this tale of friendship, love and healing I certainly would have read it a lot sooner.

This is the engaging story of three women who form an unlikely friendship via their association with a fourth girl named "Jazzy". Jazzy is a vivacious, somewhat psychic young woman who is drawn to these women and their individual problems via the coaching of the little voices she hears. When the four decide to travel from their Wisconsin homes to Las Vegas.........well it's Thelma and Louise all over again ......sans the dramatic ending in the Grand Canyon. Ride along with them as they begin the adventure that will alter the template of their individual lives forever. It's a fun filled, charming ride and these women are very human and relatable. They are folks you would like to have as friends and neighbors and you can't help but develop genuine feelings for them as you accompany them on their adventure.

This book is pure fun and escapism and an ideal choice for someone looking for a lite read. It is also perfect movie material. I can already see Sandra Bullock as Marnie, Maggie Smith as LaVerne, Shirley McLaine as Rita and Kate Hudson as Jazzy (while Kate may be a little old for the part -she definitely has the right vibe to play it). Hey Hollywood, get on the ball and option this book.
on 9 April 2013
I have never reviewed a book before but felt that I ought to comment on how truly awful this one was. I only got to the end as I wanted to know what happened to the main characters. Obviously the author has some affinity with the world of the paranormal as this featured strongly in the book and was accepted by all concerned. Then there were the endless descriptions of bathroom stops and I can't believe that Marnie had never peed behind a bush before in all of her 35 years and needed to rely on instructions given by a scout leader. And who on earth uses the word discomnobulated. I have read far better free books on my kindle and truly regret having paid for this one. Avoid at all costs.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I read this book on a sunny day this week, whilst enjoying some time off work. It was the ideal book to spend a leisurely day on, was easy to read without being a silly lightweight book.

I loved the premise for this book, 4 women on a travel adventure who meet up and together assist each other to overcome a number of hurdles that life has put in their way. Throughout their trip they meet a number of other interesting people who add to the storyline and whilst I found one aspect of the book a bit unrealistic, I enjoyed it all the same.

It didn't tax my brain, but I did want to read to the end and would read another by the author, it was light without being lightweight if that makes sense?
VINE VOICEon 23 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I loved this story about 4 very different characters who set off on a long journey together although they do not know one another. I laughed out loud and could not put the book down. Now anyone who reads my reviews knows I hate to give away anything about the story as it is a personal hate if someone tells me all about a book I am about to read, but I highly recommend this wonderful book about these 4 very different ladies. I loved Laverne who had not been out of her flat for a long time. Go on buy it, its worth it - you might love the characters like me!
on 29 June 2014
This is set in America and the language could be irritating. The main characters are stereotypes, the woman grieving for her murdered daughter, the one separated from the boy she raised, the elderly recluse and the extrovert, kind-hearted free spirit who brings them all together and takes them on a journey to Las Vegas. However, I found I couldn't put the book down and had to finish it to find out how all their situations were resolved. There are coincidences and a lot of psychic happenings, but no sex or bad language which is unusual these days and the main reason I have given the full five stars.
on 2 July 2014
I totally enjoyed this book ,highly recommend it. As soon as I started to read it I knew I was going to enjoy it ,nicely written ,character s were bought to life I got totally absorbed in the story and with the characters ,it's one of those books that's is sad to end and leave the lives of all these people I felt like I was on the road trip with them . Thank you
VINE VOICEon 2 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I requested this book because I thought it would be a bit different - and it is. This is a refreshing change from the usual road trip featuring teenagers setting off to explore the world and learning about life and responsibility along the way; by contrast, here we have 4 mature ladies, all with their own personal reasons for wanting to travel thousands of miles across the US.

McQuestion does a good job of setting the scene, getting these ladies together and giving them (more or less) realistic reasons for going on the trip. The four characters are well drawn and come across as quite different from each other, with different motivations, interests and concerns; the interplay between them is interesting and in places provides some fascinating insights to group behaviours. For me, the writing style and content provide a nice balance - not too literary (=hard work!), but not too lightweight or frivolous either.

Overall, I found this book cheerful, funny, occasionally touching, and enjoyable to read. Given the subject matter, I think it would make an ideal read for a long journey or a holiday!
on 25 June 2014
A great book with characters that you can take to your heart as with the physic Jazzy who has a lovely way of making friends and bringing energy to their life. Four women start on a journey to Las Vegas and the journey turns out different to what they expected......