on 26 August 2012
Sorry for the long review but you need to know how good it is:

I purchased Slim in 6 when I was 5 weeks away from going on a cruise. Yes, that means I have 1 week less than needed to complete the DVD's but I have been going to the gym for over 2 years so I didn't think I was starting right at the beginning like some would.

First of all buying it through Amazon meant it was a little more expensive than through the Beachbody website but being in the UK I was worried about some reviews saying the DVD's didn't work on a Region 2 DVD player and I felt safer buying it through Amazon.co.uk where I knew if there were any problems they would be sorted. I also paid for next day delivery. It has been fantastic, from the text to tell me my parcel would arrive in the next hour to my ringing and nagging my husband to try them in our DVD player to make sure they did, No problems at all on that worry. I got home, put on my bikini and took my degrading photo (never looking like that again, EVER) I measured myself, weighed myself and got to it!

I spent one week doing the first DVD and then due to my timescale restraints and holiday looming closer I started the 2nd DVD. In 2 years at the gym I have never sweated so much, but strangely I enjoyed it, I felt I was getting stronger every day and by the end of the 2nd week doing the 2nd DVD (3 weeks of work outs in total) I knew it was getting easier, I didn't sweat as much and wasn't as out of breath. Two days ago I started the 3rd DVD and I get on my cruise ship in less than 2 weeks. I thought 'Oh my god why have I paid about £70+ to be tortured' but you know what, I lived through it and feel so much better for it. If it isn't challenging then it wouldn't be working and it is.

After 3 weeks I am over 9lb lighter but I'm tempted to throw away the scales because I will never be in the correct BMI range, I'd have to lose a limb first! I feel great, my clothes are bigger and it's the inches that count most. I've followed weight watchers for over 10 years and I am only 35 years old, that's a lot of points counting! and now I don't have to worry, as long as I set aside one hour a day 6 days a week I will look and feel amazing, I'm even taking my resistance bands on the cruise with me!! They are fabulous and so are my biceps and triceps!

When I get back I will start the process again and will definitely buy more of the slim series DVD's. I see it as a way of life and once I get to where I want to be then I can reduce the workouts to 3-4 days per week rather than 6 and cancel that expensive gym membership. The Slim in 6 DVD cost me less than 2 months gym membership and the results are better than I got in 2 years and I did aerobics and swam a mile at least 3 times per week.

Don't hesitate, buy this DVD through Amazon. Go to it and get slim in 6! And also look and feel FABULOUS. I'm off to do a workout now!
3131 comments| 755 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2014
I got the dvd in good time and started my work outs straight away. I love it, really motivated and good workouts that are not boring. Im in my 3rd week and can feel the difference already its great. I totally recommend it :-)
on 4 July 2014
I consider myself to be fairly fit (i work out at home 5 days a week and go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week) so when somebody bought me this as a gift I put it on a shelf and forgot about it.

It looked easy and frankly old fashioned.

Then, following a nasty virus that saw me doing no exercise at all I felt I needed something to ease me back into exercise, I took it off the shelf.

I immediately realised that my preconceived idea that it was easy was completely wrong. This work out is a good, all over work out. But it isn't easy.

In order to explain what I consider is good and bad about this work out I'm going to express my views in a pros and cons format.

Pros

Debbie is a great motivator. Particularly if you are a woman of a particular age. She is an incentive in herself. She embodies all that is good about the work out. I am over 40 (46 in fact) so I see Debbie as a great role model. She is sweet and ingenious and makes you want to work. She looks fantastic but is totally self effacing.

This work out works every part of your body, core, arms, legs, butt, hips and thighs.

It is easy to follow and Debbie's instruction ensures you keep good form.

Each move is well explained.

And I can't say it enough... Debbie looks great and is a great advertisement for the effectiveness of this plan.

Cons

The music appears to have been added after. I personally need music to motivate me. This music doesn't and worse than that it doesn't always go with the moves.

Variety - basically there isn't any. The plan is that you follow each work out every day. There are three levels and if you progress to the plan you do level 1 for 2 weeks, level 2 for 2 weeks and level 3 for 2 weeks and every day is the same.

To put this in to context let us look at another very popular Beachbody work out. Insanity. In week 1 you have the following-Plyo cardio circuit Cardio power and resistance Cardio recovery Pure cardio And a fitness test....

In week 1!!!!

Not that I am suggesting you do Insanity instead, but if you want variety and are likely to get bored, well this might not be the work out for you.

Now let us turn to the promises and or hype of the infomercials.

Slim in 6 - have you noticed that the people who have achieved results have done 3 or 4 or even more rounds of the 6 week plan?

Ok so nobody should expect results over night, but isn't it misleading to call it slim in 6 if you actually should expect results in 36 weeks?

My final observation of the work out and the infomercials is this (and it's key). The infomercial says you can get slim in 6 by working out, on average, 40 minutes a day!! This is so far from the truth that I have to point it out. Because how much time do you have?

So let's break it down, how much time is really needed?

For 'start it up' you should follow this work out 6 days a week for 2 weeks-

Main work out is 34 minutes 6 days a week. Plus they recommend you also do slim in 6 pack and slim and limber. The recommendation is that you do the former once a week and the latter EVERY day in week 1 and at least 3 times a week there after.

Slim in 6 pack is 14 minutes Slim & limber is 15 minutes

Ramp it up (weeks 3 & 4) is over 55 minutes. Add to that slim in 6 pack and slim & limber, again about 15 minutes a piece.

Burn it up (weeks 5 & 6) is 62 minutes.

Whoever did the maths can't do maths! By my reckoning week 1 and 2 does require 49 minutes a day, that is if you worked out for 7 days; which you don't as it is condensed to 6 days. In reality you need to do 1 hour a day in week 1 alone and the time each day increases as the program progresses.

To summarise if you want to get slim in 6 weeks this is unlikely to work unless you only have a few pounds to lose and more than an hour a day to spare. In reality you will need to do this work out for about 36 weeks. You also need to be prepared to spend an hour a day, 6 days a week and if you need variety? Forget this now as it is very repetitive.
55 comments| 184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2015
I have only done this workout for 3 weeks, but I have already lost 10lbs! And getting smaller! I don't follow the diet and just do my own and still have a treat! I couldn't recommend this enough!
on 24 March 2015
This works! Used it last year and while I only did the workouts 3 or 4 times in the week, I lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks and for the first time since I was 19, had the outline of my abs back! Am about to do it again for my May holidays.. A super programme.
on 28 September 2012
If I had just one line to write this review, I would say it in 2 words. This works.

I bought this out of frustration from being overweight and unhappy with the way I looked. I could not wear the clothes I wanted and didn't feel at my best. I was also tired all the time. I am 39, work full time and have 2 children. I have tried diets but was always hungry. I also do not like exercise and would never frequent a gym. However, what became clear to me was you cannot get away from exercise if you want to lose weight in a healthy way and there are other benefits too - you get your body toned at the same time.

The attraction of Slim in 6 was that it had a targeted time frame - 6 weeks. I had also researched this extensively on the Internet and you can see results of others if you look it up on You Tube. It is designed for people like me who have led a sedentary life with no physical activity. The 3 stages in the programme (3 Dvd's) are meant to be done for 2 weeks each. You begin with 'Start it Up', then 'Burn It UP' and finally 'Ramp it up'. Debbie Siebers is engaging, she is not over the top and she motivates you to continue on with the exercises.

At the beginning it was very hard because of my physical state (read couch potato) and it was difficult to control my eating. I was so addicted to cakes, fatty foods etc that my body craved it. But I stuck with it because I really wanted to change. The first 2 weeks are the hardest but don't give up. Slim in 6 comes with a eating plan that you can follow. You get the gist of it- it's healthy food that should fill you up. The trick to losing weight is the exercise and keeping your metabolism up. This means eating 5 times a day - I watched my calorie intake, ate more fruits for the in-between meal snacks and for dinner had baked/grilled fish or meat with steamed veg, similar for lunch. This is easy to do as you can always get marinated salmon, haddock, lamb etc from M&S, Sainsbury etc that won't cost a bundle and you can stick in the oven. Or do it yourself, but do have variety or you get bored. the best thing was I was eating and not going hungry. I also ensured I took supplements and cod liver oil.

Because I worked and am not a morning person, I did this exercise at night - one hour after dinner and 2 hours before sleeping. Did not impact falling asleep and in fact has helped with my insomnia.

So what's the result? I am at the end of week 5 and I cannot believe the transformation. I have just about reached ideal weight, my skin is better, I sleep well and best of all, my body is toned. Though I still have a mini muffin top (I have had 2 kids!)' my love handles are nearly gone, my thighs are toned, I have the beginnings of a baby 6 pack (please note getting proper abs will depend on much more extensive workouts) and my arms have definition!! I use body shapers (M&S) to smooth the muffin top - all these celebrities with flat tums use surgery or liposuction so dont believe the miracle bounce back stories you read. I don't have cravings as much for unhealthy food anymore either. Most importantly, I feel so much better about myself and that's worth more than the money I paid for the programme. I have gone from size 10 -12 back to pre pregnancy size 8. The last time I was a size 8 was 10 years ago.

I have read some reviews that it's too expensive but I disagree. You do this in the comfort of your home, no expensive gym fees, no need to buy exercise clothes or shoes (I did this in my bedroom barefoot on the carpeted floor) and you get an expert personal trainer (via DVD) leading you through a proven programme.

But best of all. THIS WORKS.
66 comments| 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2015
This review is brought to you by a lazy man in his early to mid forties who cycles a mile or two to work each day but rarely lifts a finger otherwise. I was about a stone and a half overweight when I started.

I did all three DVDs wholeheartedly for the full six weeks (with one day off a week). I also ate a healthy and light breakfast and lunch. I have two children, so supper was whatever - but I did try and keep it to reasonable portions. I also didn't happen to drink any alcohol during the six weeks.

Start It Up: I was exhausted at the end of my first go, which is par for the course if you do as little exercise as me. It's certainly a decent introduction, and you might find you lose a bunch of weight in the first two weeks. Don't be discouraged if you don't - it seems to vary from person to person. My wife lost half a stone, whereas I didn't see any weight loss until the fourth week. The DVD is 25 minutes long. After a few days, the exercises seem to become a lot easier. This is very motivating as you know it's working.

Ramp It Up:This is double the length at 50 minutes or so. The intensity is immediately increased - everything is done noticeably faster and with fewer rests. Once again, I was dying after the first session, but it got easier as time went on.

Burn It Up: This is over an hour long, and after the first session, you do wonder how you're going to make it. Whereas Ramp It Up was big on crunches, Burn It Up loves lunges. There is a countdown clock on the bottom right corner of the screen. I found it immensely helpful to cover it up so I couldn't tell how much longer there was to go, because you can think you've been going for half an hour and then the clock tells you it's only been ten minutes. I found that disheartening, so I don't look at it at all now.

I don't think Burn It Up ever got easy, but you could feel it working. The last couple of crunch exercises were agony - I had to stop the first couple of times. I can just about do them now - albeit with pain, but manageable pain. Once again, you can measure how fit you're getting.

Don't be afraid to pause the DVD if you want to drink water. There are breaks on the DVD, but I found I needed to drink a lot more often than the demonstrators. When I started Burn It Up, I was drinking at least two pints of water during the routine. By the end, it was just over a pint, I probably should have been drinking more, but I wasn't sweating as much - must be getting fitter!

So to results. I didn't measure myself beforehand because I wanted to judge my results by how I looked. I did weight myself though. After six weeks, I'd lost nineteen pounds. I'm also a lot thinner than I was, and my muscles are a lot more toned. They're not bulkier as such as this isn't the routine for that kind of thing - if you want muscles, you really need free weights as opposed to resistance bands (from what I can gather).

I found Debbie to be an excellent instructor - as other commentators have said, she didn't annoy me at all. Her instructions were clear and concise. You may find you have to rewind the DVD a couple of times when you start Burn It Up as a few of the kicking exercises are a bit tricky to pick up instantly - you'll see what I mean when you watch them. You can pick them up fairly quickly though.

All in all, I'd recommend this DVD highly. It isn't a magic cure for fat - you will get out of it exactly what you put in. There were definitely a few times when I didn't want to exercise, but I made myself - whereas I wouldn't have in the past. It really depends on whether you've told yourself that enough is enough and you really mean it. You need to eat healthily for maximum results. The occasional pig out won't kill you, but you might find you don't want to once you've noticed you're fitting into old clothes that you couldn't before.

One of the general pieces of advice is not to exercise until at least three hours after eating a meal. This proved annoying as if I ate with the children in the evening, I couldn't realistically start exercising until at least 10pm. That said, the one occasion I didn't leave it for three hours was enough to persuade me not to do it again! A decent snack around suppertime will keep you going until you can start exercising, and your digestion system works a lot better after exercise. It's down to you how you fit in the time to exercise - but as I said, it's not a magic cure and effort is required. However, it's effort within your own home as there's no trekking out to the gym required.

So after six weeks, I'm a lot healthier and a lot thinner - I have cheekbones! I put in the effort (but no more than anyone else would be able to) and I got the results. It's down to you what you'll achieve, but I'm extremely happy with the results after six weeks, and I've had a few nice comments as well - much better to have my ego fed than my stomach! Good luck if you decide to try it - but again, please give it your best shot for best results, and that's only something you yourself can decide to do.
on 22 September 2013
If you have the self dicepline it absolutely does what it sais on the tin. After two weeks of doing it the pounds just fell of. I am fitter and in better shape than ever before.
on 4 October 2014
This has got to be my longest review ever, but that's because I know this works and I found some of the other reviews helpful before taking the plunge and parting with £67 of my hard earned cash :).

I have just finished the ramp it up DVD (4 weeks into the programme) and about to start burn it up tomorrow and feel confident to write a review at this early stage.

I am in my mid 40's and haven't been in a gym in nearly 20 years. My job involves lots of driving so I get very little opportunity to exercise and after years of yo-yo dieting and slowly piling on the pounds I decided to do something different before my waist size expands to my age! I do the DVDs 6 days a week and also take it away with me when I am away with work so no excuses for 'not having time' anymore.

I made a note of my measurements and weight and even took my selfie! I can honestly say that due to my lack of fitness, I found Start it up difficult from day 1, but persevered and just as I started getting used to it and even enjoying it, I moved onto Ramp It Up 2 weeks later. Found Ramp it Up was v tough at first and I could barely keep up, but after about 6 days or so, I noticed that while it is still hard work, I wasn't completely drenched in my own sweat and panting after the 1st 10 mins. Needless to say I am now definitely fitter than I've been in a long time and while I have a way to go, I haven't felt better.

I am a high street size 14 and was creeping into a 16 and my clothes didn't quite fit right, even when wearing support underwear. I tried on a dress I bought this year but not worn due to it clinging in all the wrong places and it literally slipped on with no need for any big knickers either. Happy days! PLUS just a couple of days ago my colleagues at work commented on how much slimmer I look (totally uninvited I hasten to ask). So, I decided to measure myself again and within only 4 weeks of starting to exercise I have lost 4 inchs off my waist and my stomach is starting to look flatter and toned. I will measure myself properly at the end of 6 weeks for a true before and after picture. Meanwhile, my jeans are a lot looser every where and I actually feel slimmer and more confident. I haven't followed the eating plan, I simply eat what I want but in moderation and apply common sense. So if I have a 2 course meal on Saturday, I simply watch my calorie intake the next day and aim to stay within 1500 to 1800 calories on a daily basis while watching the fat and sugar content

The moral of the story is exercise works. It's only 1 hour a day and you can do it anywhere and anytime of the day with no more excuses so BUY IT. Move around more for an hour each day and see the changes before your very eyes. It works and is worth every penny. Debbie Siebers is great. She has a lovely encouraging way about her, and you don't need loads of room or special clothes to exercise in the comfort of your own 4 walls. Can't wait to start Burn it up tomorrow!
on 10 August 2012
Arrived within a couple of days - excellent product - have only followed the exercise programme and lost 7lbs in 11 days - am well chuffed, thank you very much
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse