Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 11 March 2017
If you can get past the controversial stories of boots, name changes and accusations of deceit you will find a great album.
In many places you will find songs that could slot into any David Lynch films/TV shows and if you search out the videos to video games and blue jeans the influence continues.
Lyrically darker than some of the more pop tempo songswould have you believe.overall a great selection of songs from someone's who look/looks sometimes overshadows her voice when she is discussed. Personally I think it's a great album that stands up to repeated listening.
on 19 February 2013
Lana Del Ray has a distinctive voice, distinctive lyrics which she co-writes, a distinctive appearance with her long brown hair, and a distinctive style of music. The title track would be almost a different song if performed by anyone else.

The lyrics of pop songs, even good ones, often look almost inane when written out word for word. Lana Del R's, exceptionally, stand up well even just to read in cold print (there is a booklet of lyrics with the CD). In performance the songs gain from Lana's different singing voices (the main one lower with more resonance; another, to which she switches for short passages, higher, with less power but often more playful). Many songs on this album are slightly longer than the average pop song, allowing time to develop ideas and repeat the most telling verbal and musical phrases.

Commonly, but not invariably, either words or music include a hint of sadness, often around the idea that women know that love does not always make them happy, but they love anyway. The final track concludes 'You and me are the lucky ones' but although the narrator thinks she has found lasting happiness, we are left suspecting that while this could be true, and we hope it is, I do not know how consciously but Lana's voice still contains hints of vulnerability rather than triumph.

The first and most moving and memorable song, Born to Die, sounds as though it could be about a couple who have made a suicide pact. I hope none of Lana Del R's fans will be so moved as to copy that idea.

The opening few seconds of each track, before Lana herself begins singing, in a few cases have lush instrumental beginnings that I personally like, others songs instead, or as well, have more 'hip hop' style beginnings that I personally don't enjoy and find out of character with the song that follows. However, some of you may like and presumably Lana Del Ray herself does (one of the songs contains the lines 'You were sorta punk rock/ I grew up on hip hop').

The British pop singer/ song writer Ray Davies of the Kinks once said that while some words like (in his day) 'pinball' are 'rock' words, others like 'lavatory' are not 'rock' words, although he sometimes puts 'non-rock' words in his songs anyway to be different. Lana on the other hand sticks to the 'rock' words: 'blue jeans', 'video games', 'diet mountain dew', 'take your body downtown'.

Some songs better than others on this album, but some of them are impossible to forget.

Note for further listening/ viewing: Lana is often not confident as a live performer but she can be really good in videos, many of which to accompany the songs on this album are available on YouTube. Other songs she recorded that do not make all versions of this album that are really good and worth seeking out, again, including in many cases the videos, include 'Ride', 'Burning Desire', 'Gods and Monsters', 'Young and Beautiful' and her versions of 'Chelsea Hotel No 2', 'Summer Wine' and 'Blue Velvet'.

See also 'Queen of the Gas Station' from an earlier album she withdrew from sale.

Her two main later albums are sadly not as good, although I liked the tracks 'God Knows I Tried' and her 'cover' version of 'Please don't let me be Misunderstood'.
on 22 July 2015
This is a very sad and beautiful album. If Lana Del Rey has actually written this from experience she really has had a packed life.

I can't find a song that I don't like and ones such as 'Video Games', 'Blue Jeans' and 'National Anthem' surely qualify as modern day classics. This is a bargain at the moment, £3.45 with free MP3 album for playing on other devices. Nice one Amazon.
on 2 May 2017
Awesome music!
I bought it from Book-Emporium NEW and received a disc with 3 extra bonus tracks :-)
on 2 June 2017
Absolutely love this album!

I first heard it back in 2012 but I didn't listen to it after a few months. In the past few years I have really got back into Lana, and although this album is not her best it is still great! Personal favourite tracks are definitely - Lolita, National Anthem and Radio!
on 25 May 2012
I loved her Video Games and Born to Die singles, so I thought I would buy the whole album and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I loved everyone of her songs. The lyrics are so deep and meaningful and kind of dark - which I absolutely love, the melodies are amazing. It may be be slightly over-produced with sometimes too much background noises, but they all work well with all of Lana's song. She is such a refreshing and talented singer/songwriter, definitely the best album I have bought this millennium, recommend buying the deluxe version as the extra songs are amazing too.
on 11 May 2017
Side A was faulty,rest of the viynl(s) were of great quality , I assume due to the increase in price I couldnt get a replacement and only could get a refund. Would get again if the quality of side A was beter
on 19 January 2017
Quality album
on 1 June 2017
Amazing
on 22 August 2015
Very good service and product in very good condition. Happy100. Thanks.