Format: Audio CD|Change

Only a few weeks after Sony released Be My Baby, a triple-CD all-female collection of predominately sixties music, Universal have released a double CD all-female collection of predominately sixties music, having licensed some tracks for the Sony collection. This collection has 53 tracks compared to 70 on the other collection, with not much duplication. There seems to be a higher proportion of mainstream pop compared to the other collection, soul / R +B is still well represented. The solitary country music track here is Crazy by Patsy Cline.

When I reviewed the other collection, I mentioned four singers who it would have been nice to have but weren`t there, although I could have mentioned several others. This collection includes two of those four, with Helen Shapiro represented by two tracks (Walking back to happiness, You don't know) and Timi Yuro represented by Hurt. No sign of Mary Hopkin or Jackie Trent, but in any case, Mary's music was recorded for Apple and is rarely represented on multi-artist collections.

Among the artists featured here but not the other collection, you'll find two tracks each by Brenda Lee , Connie Francis, Kathy Kirby, Sandie Shaw and Little Eva. Other classics include Susan Maugham (Bobby's girl), Shangri-Las (Leader of the pack), Twinkle (Terry) and Etta James (At last). Although featured on the other collection, Lulu (Shout), Dusty Springfield (two tracks) and Petula Clark (two tracks, one of them French) are among those represented here too.

Less obvious but welcome selections include Jane Morgan (The day the rains come, Sue Thompson (Paper tiger), Patience and Prudence (Gonna get along without ya now), Nancy Wilson (You don't know how glad I am), Linda Scott (I've told every little star) and Maureen Evans (Like I do).

This compilation neatly complements the Sony collection despite some duplication. From a British perspective, the vast majority of female singers who you would expect to be featured can be found on at least one of these two compilations, together with some great singers who I wouldn't regard as automatic choices.
on 29 February 2012
What can I say really? My parents used to play these songs all the time when I was growing up.

I bought this collection for my dad (67) and he loves it, as does my mum (55). I'm 25 and I can't resist the urge to start dancing when we put this collection on. It features some of the best female vocalists of the 50's and 60's from, Connie Francis to Doris Day to Nina Simone. No matter what your taste, there will be something on here that you love.

A really brilliant compilation.
on 17 February 2015
I enjoyed these two CDs though there are a number of tracks that I have never heard before. Some were more enjoyable than others. Probably these songs were from another era (later 60s). My era was the 50s and the music of this time is my preference.
on 30 August 2013
Another excellent cd from Dreamboats and Petticoats, and would have given it 5 stars but some of the tracks have been altered - the sound is just not true to the original track, particularly Sandie Shaw and Lesley Gore, unusual for Dreamboats and Petticoats previous cd collections because having most of them I find them true to the originals.
on 4 March 2012
what a amazine cd all orignal singers a must if you have got any other dreamboats and petticoats collection as none of the songs are repeated on any of the cds cant wait for the next one to come out
on 12 March 2012
The best of the series so far! [And we have them all]
Thankfully, no 'make-weight' tracks by the largely unknown performers of the touring stage show.
Next best thing to having a Wurlitzer juke box in our home.
Cheaper too!
on 17 February 2013
I've always loved 60's music, it is the music I grew up with!
This album brings back so many memories..So many songs I haven't heard since I was a teenager!
What an era the 1960's was!!!
Pat Cooney, Dublin, Ireland
on 19 February 2014
Exactly as before, girl power before anybody had heard the title. Pity a few female artists of today cannot compare to this collection
on 16 March 2013
This was for my wife for Valentines Day , she loves it . The person that sold it did not like my feedback and sent a couple of grumpy emails . I only said if you don`t like feed back don`t ask for it .. Wee shame all the toys were thrown out the pram .
on 30 June 2012
A collection of top female artists at their best. A great companion to the male version 'Three Steps To Heaven' as well as being another great album in the Dreamboats and Petticoats series. Keep 'em coming!