Format: DVD|Change

on 18 August 2013
Have seen Tom a few times and this latest offering is a ball achingly funny set! Had the pleasure of front row seats in Sheffield for this tour, did I laugh? I didn't stop laughing from start to finish :-)

All new material from Tom and he's taken a "different", "dark" direction from his usual stuff. If you're easily offended go and buy Michael McIntyre's DVD or still buy this and BE offended, after all being offended is only a feeling, it won't harm you, you won't end up in A and E and you won't need counselling (well, you might but you only live once).

Tom is one of the finest comedians I've ever seen (and I've seen loads), he's learnt his craft the hard way and stuck to his roots. I'm so glad he's settled in the UK as it's made it much easier to see him (I wish Mike Wilmot would do the same but I suppose we can't have all the best Canadian comics).

This DVD deserves to hit the top of the stand up charts, waging war on mainstream "sell out" comedy. Tom, you are a comedic soldier, a leader in your field and deserving of a heroes medal.
on 20 November 2013
Like many people I became aware of Tom Stade when he slayed the audience (and me) with his meat van routine on Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow. I went to see him on his recent "...Totally Rocks" tour and was very impressed so was waiting with baited breath for this DVD release. The agony was only prolonged by the release date being pushed back about a month but it's here now, just in time for Xmas !

IMO Stade is at his best when on the subject of relationships and modern life. There is a fair helping of the former, a little bit of the latter in the form of his Argos routine, but I was disappointed that his Groupon routine was not on this DVD.

In many ways my ideal Tom Stade DVD would just be a recording of the night I saw him live as I feel that routine was stronger than this DVD - he should do that, like bands, where they record the gig then sell it to the crowd at the end. However, he should be applauded for not over-using material as there was material on the DVD not performed on the night I saw him live so that was fresh to me.

The set was filmed at the Bloomsbury Theatre, meat van is on this DVD and there is one extra called "Messing Around" which, IMO, really should have been omitted.

If you like Stade I'd say it's worth buying.

Kudos to Andrew and Margarite as well 
on 10 December 2013
I've seen Tom live a few times and he gets funnier and funnier each show.
His way of interacting with the audience and turning normal thoughts and observations into something so hilarious is priceless! You will not regret buying his DVD and i hope there is another one in the future.
A naturally very funny guy ツ
on 15 December 2013
I have been a massive fan of Tom for the last 2 years, been to several gigs , introduced friends to his material and he is the best Stand-up I have seen no doubt.

Routine:

However I feel his latest material is not as good as his earlier material, which is observationally cleverer and not so offensive. I'm no prude but I prefer punchlines that are clever rather than shocking.

This DVD is both routines I have seen over the last 2 years put together and the great material like Argos, MeatVan and Primark are all there but sometime the new sketches (which arn't all bad) are too long and just about shocking the audience. Tom also uses audience members which is great but this also goes on a bit too long. Perhaps the earlier routine is more refined because he has been performing some of these jokes for several years and this isn't his first DVD with those jokes.

DVD Quality:

One of the oddest things about this DVD is how cheap the filming seems compared to other stand-up DVD's. It seems to have been filmed by amateurs who are trying to tick all the cliche boxes.

They interview the audience at the beginning which is done really poorly and there are so many cutaways throughout the DVD to the audience members laughing. Seems a bit old hat the way they have done this although when he is interacting with the audience it is understandable. But overall it lacks the quality finish expected from top comedians DVD's.

Overall:

If you like Tom Stade you must get this DVD! The material is a mishmash of quality but without doubt his confident delivery style is still the best I have seen. But it is a bit too rude and crude in parts for my taste which is normally quite broad.
on 8 July 2016
Buy this dvd!!! Tom Stade is awesome and hilarious! You will not be disappointed with this great value dvd! Tom's interaction with his audience is terrific and his delivery and content are so funny. My husband and I laughed the whole way through! Just hope Tom Stade continues to produce more dvds - I will buy them too!
on 13 January 2014
I've been a big fan of Tom for a few years now and I'm so glad to see him finally release a dvd. Having been a fan, I did recognise some of the material although it was good that he freshened up and added parts to the jokes, but as I'm 1 of those who'll take this dvd round to my mates, I'm glad some of his older material is still on there as it's pure comedy gold.

Definitely one for adults, it's borderline 18 rating as Tom does swear a lot and a few jokes are close to the edge with topics such as drugs, so if you're easily offended you may struggle (although he's nowhere near Frankie Boyle cringe factor).

Tom does certain things really well. He interacts with the audience in a brilliant way, picking on certain people and making out they're friends of his and including them in the stories as well as having this way of talking and shouting that is just purely funny. He can get laughs where other comedians wouldn't. To top it off, his jokes are brilliant and so well crafted. The fact he's a canadian living in the UK also gives him an outsiders perspective on Britain, which leads to some absolute classic jokes. I had this dvd bought for me along with Mickey Flannagans new one and Tom had me in tears whereas Mickey didn't (Mickeys is still good, just nowhere near Tom's level).

If you've never seen Tom before you're in for a treat. He's up there with the best I've seen and I'm a huge standup fan and know my comedians. I just hope this dvd does well and gives Tom the motivation to work on new material and launch his career. I hope he brings his guitar back in the future aswell, I was hoping for at least 1 song. Buy this, the best standup comedy dvd this year by a long way
on 26 December 2013
I have just had a mortifying Christmas evening watching this DVD with my parents and 14 year old brother!

We've watched Tom Stade's short sets on Live at the Apollo etc, and have all found him absolutely hilarious and on that basis bought this for my little bro who loves comedy - we're a really open minded family and are happy to watch more or less anything together as I think we all understand that our sense of humour is a little on the base side, HOWEVER when you're rolling on the floor with the sheer level of cringe that this guy puts out between semi decent jokes (that we have heard before!) I thought I better say something!

If you buy this DVD you will hear a lot of his recycled material as used on TV, however the parts in between just aren't funny and he comes across as a sad old dinosaur. We had to turn it off after hearing for about the fiftieth time how long his (poor) wife had been servicing his junk for (seventeen years if you must know).

Afterwards I said to my mum: "I feel like I've bought him a Bernard Manning video!", her reply: "well, you have."

Overall this was disappointing and uncomfortable viewing and I totally would not recommend it!
on 10 December 2013
Have seen Tom live many times in early years of playing small venues and knew he was a rising star having been to many comedy clubs -he did a really good, brilliantly observed funny act! Bought the DVD - well 2 - to give to friends for Xmas but have canned the idea! His humour has descended to the crude and offensive in places - more Frankie Boyle and not really funny. Still flashes of brilliance but too much swearing and not clever humour. Have seen so many comedians lose the plot and never make the mainstream because they think that crudeness and offence makes good humour....it doesn't. Its lazy comedy and too many second rate comics rely on this. as one other reviewer said - stick to Michael Macintyre or John bishop if you want to see mainstream - clever comedy ....and I do! Tom - don't know how you ended up at this end of comedy market.. go back to you brilliant observational comedy and dump the crude/obscene/offensive stuff!
on 17 March 2014
Canadian rap-star Tom Stade, sorry...Canadian comedian Tom Stade is very funny. Sure, sometimes it veers into adult material, no harm in that. If I wanted PG comedy, then I'd be buying, well, I have no idea as I have no interest in PG material. I like Tom, heard him getting name-checked by Jim Jefferies several years back on a podcast so I bought his 'Blue album: Live at the Comedy Store'. Which is pretty damn fine. Can't say that I've watched him on that, uh, Comedy Vehicle show on BBC, which is a great platform for comedians but it's also mostly for an audience that will laugh at the weakest of punchlines (oh TV, you fickle mistress)...my point is this: Tom Stade is a very funny comedian. Shocking? Only if you're easily shocked. Just buy it. It's funny. He's funny. And a couple of things did resonate. Eerily so.
on 26 December 2015
I rented this after hearing him on the BBC Live At The Apollo Series. I wasn't disappointed, and have now bought it as well. There's a lot of jokes taking the Michael out of the British. But there are many "laugh out loud" moments too.