1,248

on 16 December 2014
This is a preliminary review as I'm about to upgrade to fibre broadband and have bought and installed this card in anticipation of getting higher speeds. I've just installed it on a PC running Linux Mint 13 - 64 bit (Maya - the 2012 release supported for 5 years). Installation could not have been simpler - remove old wireless card, install this new one to a PCI Express slot and turn on, after boot up click on the wireless icon in the task bar, select my wireless network , enter my wireless password and bingo! it works! No need for the installation disk or anything else - Mint 13 recognised it without problem. I'll come back and update this review when I get fibre broadband in a few days to report on speed achieved, any problems etc.
Update: December 2015 - I've had this for a year now with absolutely no problems, I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS now and it also works "out-of-the-box" with this card.
on 12 February 2016
I purchased this card as it had many good reviews all over the internet. I needed a dual band Wi-Fi card so I could connect my computer to the internet without an Ethernet cable. My ISP is Virgin Media and I have the 200Mbps package with 12Mbps upload speed. I am surprised to say that I am getting the same speeds that I get with an Ethernet cable. I have been doing many speed tests with this card installed and it has managed to get 200.30 Mbps download speeds, and 12.17 Mbps for the upload speed.

The card is very easy to install as it just fits into the PCI Express slot on the motherboard and then I used the screw that came with my case to secure it in place. After that I just screwed in the three antennas that are supplied with this card. The only problem that I did have was that I had to use the CD to install the drivers as Windows 10 did not download the drivers automatically. This however was not a problem for me as I do have a disc drive but this may be a problem for some people who do not have one.

I would recommend the TP-Link Archer T8E AC1750 as so far it has been performing way past my expectations.
on 2 August 2014
This is a really good card. I just recently got upgraded to Virign Media's 100mbps internet package. The micro wireless USB adapter from Edimax I was using wasn't reaching anywhere near the 100mbps over wireless. I was getting 30-35mbps on a good connection, but it would drop as low as 3-5mbps sometimes, and was just generally unstable. The USB tethering on my phone was fairing a bit better getting me a stable 30-35mbps, buy still nowhere near 100mbps. Even when using my phone or a tablet right next to the hub I was only getting 40-45mbps max. I initially suspected the super hub may be at fault, that maybe it's wireless output signal wasn't up to par, but after reading a lot of positive reviews for this card, and particularly a few reviews I seen from people who have Virgin Media internet connections of 100mbps+ saying they were getting full speeds over WiFi with this card, I decided to buy it to see if it would make a difference, and it did. I'm getting near enough wired speeds with this at about 3 meters away, stable 105-107mbps download on speedtest, and 5-7mbps upload. I'm very happy with the results and would recommend it to anyone who is on a high speed internet package but who find that their hardware is crippling their speeds over WiFi.
on 3 October 2013
Such a brilliant device! Just put in in the PCI-express slot, start the computer and... that`s it! No instalation drivers needed. So efficient, so powerfull, i like and recommend it alot! I use Windows 8 and there is no compatibility issues! Works perfect!
on 10 August 2012
A massive thank-you to TP-Link for this brilliant card and you guys who have already reviewed this product. Let me explain.

A few weeks ago Virgin media sent me a Netgear Superhub to replace my 10-year-old modem and router. I have a PC running Windows XP, SP3.

I connected the aerial and power lead as instructed, switched on and great my PC recognised the new hub instantly. Choose the Virgin media from the available networks list, put in the passphrase and nothing, it would not connect. Tried over and over again but still it would not connect. I phoned Virgin media who were as helpful as having an ice cream kiosk at the North Pole.

In desperation I turned to the internet (with the help of my sons computer) and search for an answer. This led me to this product and the reviews here on Amazon. I purchased the product installed it which took all of 30 seconds, put the disk in to load the drivers and hey presto instant connection..

Strong signal, works well on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with no drop out. In short it's a brilliant piece of hardware that actually works. No need to say anymore except if you are looking for a new wireless card or have been experiencing problems with connection then this product could be the answer. Thank-you all again.
on 9 September 2015
If you're going to buy a PCI Wireless card - it might as well be a decent one. For just £25 - this card is a great bargain. Dual band is extremely useful if you have 5GHz WiFi (which I highly recommend you use if you do) and the signal strength is very good.

I have the Virgin "Up to 152Mbps" package and was dubious that a wireless card would be able to consistently handle the speeds that it comes with, but to my delight this card has maintained a solid 160Mbps down and 12Mbps upload (with 152Mbps and 12Mbps being the theoretical limits) throughout. The signal has not dropped once.

If you're considering spending less money on a wireless card, don't. I spent £10 on a cheaper TP-Link card but it was useless, it only found a network if you were very close to the router and even then the signal was pitiful. For just £25 - you have a future-proof and reliable wireless card.
on 4 March 2016
Nightmare on windows 10. I had constant dropouts on 5ghz. I tried the default and tp-link provided drivers but didnt work out. However when it worked, speed were awesome. Shame that after soo many issues and complaints regarding windows 10 compability on amazon.co.uk and.com, tp-link has not provided a good stable driver.
on 23 July 2014
Disappointing. I'm reasonably computer-savvy, but I had real trouble with this. Easy enough to physically install the card itself, but the problems started when I used the bundled software utility to install the drivers. The utility seemed to finish its job, and the card was powered (green light on the back), but it wouldn't find any wireless network (despite being three feet from my wireless router), and the TP link management software had all of the useful options "greyed out" (i.e. impossible to select).

I fooled with it for several hours, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers from various sources (if you search for the model name and "problems" you will find several reports of people having similar issues - particularly it seems with Windows 7, 64bit). No success, and I was ready to write it off as a bad choice - either a poor network card, or a good network card with a mysterious software conflict that is beyond my powers to resolve.

The last thing I tried was unplugging the card from my motherboard, and plugging it into a different slot. Suddenly it worked perfectly. The really strange thing is that it doesn't work in any of the PCIe x1 slots (of which I have several vacant), but it does work if I plug it into the PCIe x16 slot (of which I have only one spare - planning to fit a second graphics card at some point in the future). I can find no reason why this should be the case - the PCIe x1 slots should work fine. I am a bit annoyed that this is the only way I have found to resolve it, as it closes off a future upgrade path for my computer. No idea if this fix would work for anyone else - but if you plan to try it, be aware that this fix will only work for you if you have a spare PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard - and many motherboards do not have this feature.

Now it works absolutely perfectly, but I am mystified as to why it only functions in that particular PCI slot. I will probably have another go at messing with it in the near future, when I can find a few hours. I hope this is useful to anyone who is trying to get it to work.

N
on 14 November 2014
A beautiful life saving device (shows how significant the Internet is in 2014!) which has provided me with flawless WiFi right from the beginning. I was stuck with a little USB adapter before that gave unstable speeds and often dropped the connection. This bad boy has provided me with speeds really close to the Ethernet cable, which is great. Out of a possible 30mbps, this thing has achieved 28mbps tops, and about 20mbps on average (proof provided). As a contrast, I was lucky to reach 5mbps out of 30 before. But most importantly, it's stable. No drop outs or anything. You will not be disappointed.
on 7 April 2016
Worked straight out of box wth Windows 7 professional, never had a second of trouble with it, the control software supplied works well and is not overly complicated if you're not technically minded, I like to think I am and like to mess but there's really no point.

It's the second time I've bought this card and both have been flawless in two different machines, one is an old 1150 motherboard and one is x79, same result both times.

Pro's
Price is good
Flawless operation
Reliable

Con's
Nothing really

UPDATE 30.05.2016 Works perfectly on a machine after an Ubuntu install, thought it'd be problematic becuase Ubuntu asks if you want to download updates during the install but it saw the card and was using it immediately, this card really is a little gem.