1,065
Colour: White|Change

on 29 July 2014
After owning this microphone for a while, i thought it would be worth a review.

Pros:

- Compact form factor. They've managed to fit an incredibly good condenser microphone and stand in a small box for a great price here. It fits excellently on my desk.

- Sound quality. After using both IM applications and also music production software, i've found the microphone can deal with both voice instruments very effectivley. Very good for acoustic instruments.

- Price. It may seem a bit expensive, but for the quality of the product it is worth it. Stellar build quality, great sound and a great size. All of these make it worth the full price.

Cons:

- The red light always being on is somewhat irritating, but thats how picky im having to be about con's for this microphone.
44 Comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2013
Brilliant mic, all I wanted was a high quality mic that would allow me to record good qaulity audio for my youtube videos and live streams and this does the job brilliantly
55 Comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2012
Just got my Snowball ice today, The only diffrence between this and the normal snowball is the no option for the omni-direction, But as i'll be recording solo which is Cardiod i wont need the other feature also good for voice overs ext, Also very good for recording instruments. Really easy to set up and use. The Sound is incredible it's HD and just supperb has a nice rich tone also note it's a condensor mic too if your not bothered about the other features which a Snowball has and your going to be recording only ever one person this is a great purchase and your saving your self $50 :)

I'd recommed buying a pop filter which are really cheap and help enhance your recording by removing Popping and harsh sounds. Also to keep your Mic's Diaphragm clean from plosives
11 Comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2016
Quality is crystal clear and arouses a strange narcissism in me. Pretty much the same quality as even the best out there (probably including the Yeti) in that quite a lot of focus is required to pick up on the almost nonexistent differences
review image
on 15 January 2014
This is an absolutely easy microphone to set up, no trouble! It works with windows 8, just plug it in and it will detect it. The hand books are very helpful and easy to understand. You can adjust it up and down not side to side. If you're looking for a slightly better model that will last you longer than go for the normal Blue Snowball. The ice is made of plastic(The stand)but the normal one has a metal stand. It has a USB plug - in and will work with any computer and even for iPad! ***** quality
on 22 March 2012
This microphone is easy to unbox, and the minute I plugged it in, it was working. My friend noticed the sound difference immediately, saying how good it was.
I recorded a few seconds to hear it for myself, and I must say, it's great.
I'm giving this a 5 Star review. It's worth the money, and i'd say it could be better than some of the other HD microphones which are worth much more. If you're looking for a microphone under £100, this is a great one to consider.
22 Comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2015
I uploaded a sound test video (see attached) to help you see the problem with this mic.

I bought this mic to record podcasts and audio tracks but the problem is that on a MAC with Skype, audacity or Screenflow, the levels are far too quiet. After tests, I found this mic seems to pick up a decent level if you are a maximum of 10 cm away. After 10 cm, the levels drop rapidly until at 25-30 cm (1 foot) from the mic, you are recording at a similar level to your laptop internal mic. No amount of adjustment of mic levels/gain (they are 100% max) has fixed the problem. No good. Do not buy.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2013
Step 1: Plug it into yo computer.
Step 2: Record an intellectual, family-friendly podcast.
Step 3: Enjoy lovely jubbly quality from this awesome product.
Step 4: Go to a restaurant for your birthday treat. It'll be great. (optional)
on 21 June 2016
In the box you get the mic itself which is shaped like the name says a snowball. A tripod and also a cable. The cable is 6 feet long so you can wire it behind your desk if you want and it has a plastic covering to protect it. The tripod you get screws on to the mic and I think it’s pretty decent considering the fact that it comes for free. It’s kind of flimsy so I wouldn’t recommend dropping it. Now let’s move on to the actual mic. This exact version does not have the adjustable polar patterns switch. I think that it’s not worth the money since the main people that will be using the mic most likely won’t need it.

So when I first picked up the snowball it felt pretty good. It has a nice weight to it and I think it could withstand some hits if you’re gonna use it for something else. On the front you got the Blue logo and above that you have a red led that lights up when the mic is plugged in. Most of the mic is plastic except this wire mesh that you have. On the back all you have is the USB B connector to connect to the computer. Now that we’ve talked about the physical aspect of the mic now let’s see what matters the sound. Before that though I wanna mention that the mic is plug and play so once you connect it to the computer it can be used straight away.

I’ve been using the snowball for a couple weeks and I must say I'm dissapointed. I was expecting to hear decent audio quality but instead I think the mic sounds not so good. I reviewed the Samson GoMic before that costs $40 and I think it sounds much better. You guys can make up your own opinion but I don’t like the quality of the audio and that’s all that matters. If you were planning on getting this I think you should instead go get the samson go mic since it’s much better for the money. If this review helped you out then leave a positive rating below and check out my youtube channel for technology reviews: [...]
review image
on 7 September 2016
Blue Microphones Snowball iCE USB Microphone - Black

Fantastic bit of kit.

I ordered this to use as a podcasting mic. I wasn't too sure whether this would suit my small room as the condensers usually pic up all sounds.. This however is balanced really well and doesn't pic up background noise at the same level as voice. To give you an idea, I have a fan running at full speed about 5 feet from the mic, but when I speak into it, the fan is almost completely silent.

The unit couldn't be easier to use. I plugged this straight into several mac snd PC's and in all cases, the device worked correctly, first time, every time.

The device itself looks great, very sleek and has a nice bit of weight to it. Feels very sturdy, unlike some cheaper comparisons.

The only issue I find with this mic is the constantly-on red LED at the top, but the tiniest bit of tape can solve that if you don't like it, so realistically, thats a mute point.

Really good piece of kit for the money. I think I might even pick up another one or two.
review image review image