on 2 May 2012
I have never tasted such lovely cocoa. I am a regular purchaser of cocoa, but rarely have I bought the organic variety due to lack of availability in my area. Anyway, I saw this online and decided to treat myself. What a lovely surprise! A beautiful aroma hits you as soon as you remove the lid, and it is incredibly smooth and full of flavour. It is hard to describe the flavour, but if I'm comparing it to regular, everyday cocoa, I would have to say it is somehow sweeter, almost fruity, with seemingly less bitterness. In fact, I have found that considerably less sugar/sweetener is needed when using this particular cocoa. My family uses it as a drink, but I'm sure it would make fabulous cakes or brownies. Another thing that surprised me was that I didn't pay much more for this than I pay at my local shop for non-organic cocoa. A definite winner!
on 14 February 2016
I've used both the Van Houten cocoa powder and the Equal Exchange Organic Hispaniola Cocoa powder for some months now, and find them to both be equally good cocoa. The Van Houten can also be purchased on Amazon Van Houten Cocoa Powder Yellow Tin 500 g for about the same price per kg as the Equal Exchange.

They are both quality cocoa powders, the difference between them is that the Van Houten is slightly darker and slightly more bitter than the Equal Exchange and this difference is evident in both the colour of the cocoa powder and the smell. So really it depends what kind of flavour you like your cocoa to have - dark and bitter, or lighter and sweeter. However the difference is barely noticeable when used to make hot drinks in my view.

The advantage of the Van Houten is that it is made using the 'Dutch' process (check this out on Google) and you get a nice tin (always useful for storage afterwards). The disadvantage (if this sort of thing matters to you) is that Van Houten are now a large manufacturing company and no longer the small family business it once was. I do also wonder about the cost of the nice tin - both in terms of the price of the product and to ecological matters (if that is important to you).

The advantage of the Equal Exchange is that it is organic and a fair trade product (the cocoa is grown by small farmers in the Dominican Republic), and the packaging is simpler although not particularly reusable being made mostly of cardboard.
on 13 February 2015
This is the best. I've tried loads of different kinds of cocoa powder, hot chocolate, cheap and expensive, common and obscure. Maybe we're a bit too obsessed with great hot chocoate, but it is such a great little luxury.

Anyway, I can save you the time and expense I've been to - just buy this one.
on 8 January 2015
Bought this cocoa as I discovered it on Amazon and haven't seen it elsewhere. I'm totally converted. Not only is more choice good but I was getting annoyed with Green and Black's as the cocoa left an oily film on top.

This product is much better:

- No oily film on top
- A richer, more fuller flavour than Green and Black's. Almost creamy.
- Pound for pound (or kilo for kilo if metric is your thing) it is cheaper than what I was paying for Green and Black's at the supermarket.
- This cocoa is sourced from the Dominican Republic, and I for one like choice. It is simply a superior taste in my opinion.

Have a go and see what you think!
on 21 February 2015
This is the best cocoa powder I have ever tasted. I have tried different brands, even raw cacao, and this one is the very best for me: dark in colour, strong in taste. The packing is practical with a lid, other brands are just in a bag or in a simple cardboard packing. Regarding the brand, I'm very pleased with this purchase as well as the unsalted crunchy peanut butter. It seems to be a very good brand: organic and ethical production with small farmers (Fairtrade).
on 13 May 2013
A top quality natural cocoa powder. Compares very favourably with the late lamented Rowntree product, and superior to Green & Black's.
on 31 March 2014
So nice, for everything! Used in cooking, baking and drinks.
The hot chocolate it makes it sooo creamy: quality deliciousness. It is not bitter just beautiful.
Fairtrade is great as well as you know (hope) that no tears has gone into this.
on 30 November 2014
this cocoa powder tastes good, it's good value too. and maybe even be good for you..and taken at bedtime puts me in the mood for sleep and after that it seems to work pretty well too... so what's not to like?
on 15 June 2013
I have made chocolate sauce, ice-cream and hot chocolate and this cocoa powder is beautiful! It is velvety, rich and great quality.
on 21 April 2014
Definitely recommend this cocoa powder to anyone. Like it says on the tin "is rich chocolate heaven". It does not lie.