on 3 April 2015
I swapped the strap for a £10 tan leather one (see picture) and am now very happy with it. It has kept time just fine, and looks great.

Keep in mind this watch is slightly smaller than a lot of men's watches, and the attached photo doesn't quite capture that.
review image
on 23 June 2012
This is a really nice looking watch with a dark blue face and slightly lighter band which contrasts well. The brushed stainless steel case compliments both. But why is this advertised as a watch which is OK for swimming? The back is marked "Water resistant" and the Seiko instruction leaflet says "...your watch is manufactured to withstand up to 3 bar...but is not designed for wearing while swimming." Guess I will still have to travel with my fifteen year old, £9.00 Casio watch which has been in pools, seas and oceans without once missing a beat. Amazon should ask the seller to amend the description to accurately describe this product.
22 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2013
I am a retired watchmaker so wanted a reliable movement that would give untroubled timing. This is a good workhorse which is also smaller than the average mens watch and it looks good. I now own 5 of these watches with different straps and/or bracelets, and coloured dials. Remember, if you leave it off for about 12 hours, it will stop. It's an automatic. Excellent value
on 5 June 2012
Bought my second Seiko thirteen years ago,for every day use,found it a far too heavy, so it was off my wrist, more than on it.My first, is now twenty five years old, it's for best, and still keeps perfect time.
I decided I would buy a new Seiko,again for every day use,an automatic this time, and looked around.
Saw this SNK807, and started to read the reviews.Most people seemed to love it,some said they hardly noticed they were wearing it, which was more or less what I wanted, after past experiences.Others said it gained or lost a minute or so,
which is quite ok for an automatic.Some liked the strap, others thought it of a lesser quality.
Having read all this, I purchased. The watch arrived within a week, well packaged. I opened the box,and put it on my wrist.
Wow, it looked good, right size and weight, and even liked the strap too.I've had it about 3 weeks now, and I couldn't be more pleased.It feels good, not heavy, face is easy to read,keeps pretty good time too,gains about eighty seconds per week
which is very good for an automatic.The blue strap is comfortable,and looks well.
All in all, for £54, shipped foc to Sweden, It fits the bill in all respects.If you are considering, you won't be dissapointed!
on 1 February 2015
This watch is very well-built.
The face is very well detailed, with precision machining. The movement is of high quality, and effectively enclosed in a water-resistant case (I wouldn't and haven't tried it in the shower, but it's dealt with a couple of bad rainstorms). The strap is simple, and obviously if you're not happy with it it's a simple job to get it replaced. I've worn it frequently for best part of four months now, and the glass is still scratch-free, so it's quite resistant to damage too (as the hardlex name presumably implies).
It's important to point out that whilst this watch is automatic, it cannot be wound manually. This means it does require you to wear it whenever you can to keep it wound, although a vigorous shaking will always bring it to life. It keeps superb time, however, and the date wheel is easy to correct during shorter months.
Great value for money, seems to retail on Amazon for anywhere between £40 and £60, and it's very much worth two to three times as much. It's now my go-to watch for everything but the dressiest of occasions.
on 26 December 2013
Not much to say about this watch. I like the look of it for casual wear, but right out of the box it lost 2 minutes every half hour. A watch that doesn't keep time is not much good to anyone really!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 October 2013
I have liked these automatic watches for a while, so when the price finally dipped below forty quid, I clicked buy. So far I am pleased with it. I don't think that it is particularly small - and is actually what was the normal size for a mans watch before we all went a bit X-Large. I personally like the strap - I bought this as a casual watch and the nylon strap is part of that look. The brushed steel look is classy and the face is easy to read.

There is something rather retro about automatic watches like this, and after years of quartz accuracy, I had forgotten the thrill of checking your watch against official time to see how far out you have gone. Mine is within a few seconds per week so far - so top marks to the Malaysian factory that put this together. I make sure I wear it for a few hours each evening and that seems enough to keep it going. Very pleased overall.

edit: 18 months on - this remains my go to watch for all casual occasions. It has retained its time keeping - maybe gains a couple of minutes per week now. To ring the changes I got a Blue Leather Watch Strap  which suits it very well. still not a scatch on it either!
on 19 August 2011
Got this at a discount which made it impossible to pass up. Watch is smaller than expected so would be fine with suits. Nylon band is so so, expect to change it for a leather band. As with all Seiko it's well put together. The word for this is dinky. A good every day watch with an attractive watchface. Packaging from company was only ok, brown paper packaging and no protection - foam peanuts or bubble wrap, you'd need your postman to be careful. Overall a good addition to the collection
on 11 September 2011
I really like the appearance of this watch, the face is particularly neat and clear with a no-nonsense unobtrusive steel body.
Being a mechanical movement it is never going to have the extreme accuracy of a quartz watch. Mine gains about a minute every couple of days which is quite reasonable and not a problem
If I leave it off for a while it inevitably stops, being an automatic wind, but after putting back on, with just a couple of twists of the wrist-off it goes again!
Like another reviewer I find the continuous sweep of the second hand quite soothing compared to the jerky motion of the ubiquitous quartz watch.
Of course, there is no battery to change which is partly my reason for getting this type of movement.
Overall I am very satisfied with this purchase.
As a watch collector I tend to buy automatic watches due to various reasons as explained further down. This Seiko 5 is a great watch for the price. Movement is smooth and precise, with the second hand sweeping graciously around the watch face. The white hands over the blue watch fascia make for easy reading of the time. The glass back shows the superb movement of this quality watch.

Yet do not expect an automatic watch to be as precise as a quartz one, in fact the watch could drift a couple of seconds a day. This could lead to around 2 minutes per month.

Automatic watches tend to keep their price relatively well due to the mechanical movement, which involves precision engineering of miniature gears. The glass back reveals these gears in motion. Another big advantage is that you never have to change a battery. Going through my collection changing batteries is quite a laborious chore. And once the watch is opened, it will never regain the water resistance or proofing as when it left the factory, unless, of course you are ready to pay a hefty amount to get it done by the manufacturer. Another point worth mentioning is that during the course of opening or closing the back cover for a battery change, there is always a risk of scratching the watch.

At this price point, I rate the Seiko 5 stars.

I have been using this watch for swimming as the listing originally claimed that it was actually water resistant to 100m - However please note that as per user manual the watch is water resistant to 10m and not fit for swimming. The fact that it worked fine for me does not mean that it will work out for you.

I recommend this watch for those seeking a trendy solid performer, and do not mind losing or gaining a minute every 2 to 3 weeks.