Style Name: 24 inch screen|Change

on 20 July 2013
If you are looking to upgrade to a FullHD monitor for the first time, then this monitor will certainly do the trick. It is everything the general user will expect from a 24inch LED monitor. Although, if you are like me (video editor, photoshop enthusiast, photographer and gamer) i find that the monitor is lacking in some aspects.

Pros -

- Very slim
- Small borders around the display
- Buttons are easy to use (actual buttons, I hate touch screen buttons)
- Sleek and subtle design

Cons -

- Back-light bleed in the bottom corners
- No hue controls
- The build quality at the front is lacking. From a high viewing angle I can see the display edges where the plastic inst flush with the display.
- Inputs are horizontal. So when plugging in your cable they will stick out very far.
- No audio output
- Lacking in inputs and outputs

I found that the colors of this monitor where a bit too green compared to my other monitors. To fix this, I changed the RGB values in the monitors menu.
Red: 100, Green: 80, Blue 100.

Taking all of this into consideration, with the price tag it is a great monitor. Although, I personally wished I spent the little extra money to get a slightly better monitor.
review image review image review image
on 18 March 2012
Having used a square 19" monitor for a number of years I was very unsure of what to expect when I ordered this monitor, yeah I did read the forum reviews etcetera but I was still wary. This monitor is excellant value for money, even thinner than my old flat screen and less weight. The forums generally moaned about the buttons being hidden underneath the frame and the on/off switch being hard to find. Well on the instructions it shows quite clearly where everything is so I did not find it a problem. I have never used the buttons as the Acer eDisplay Manager software does EVERYTHING simply. It is true plug and play so just attach and use it, then set up the software.
I use a programme called Autocad which is power hungry and complex, with this monitor it made life so much easier by having a much larger screen area and being rectangular meant that toolbars stacked on the side more naturally leaving a good expanse to work on my drawings, there was absolutely no time lag with this monitor. I have also watched a few films in 16:9 format and the thin edges of the monitor almost disappear giving no distractions whatsoever. I also have a TV card and can have the television on the left of the screen, while I can be using MS word or Emails or any other software that does not need full screen for functionality.
This monitor will suit 90% of the population, great value, ease of use, power saving and looks sooo sexy!
Amazon please please make reviews of items like this a month after purchase, when a more realistic review can be published, I had to leave your Email request for a time till I was ready to write this review.
0Comment| 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2011
When I first looked into this monitor there were no reviews of it anywhere. I already had an Acer PC so I knew about the brand and quality. The monitor seemed to have everything I wanted - 24 inch widescreen, LED, full HD at a price than was too good to ignore. My only concern was the 5ms response time as I like to play games on my PC. My research suggested that this shouldn't really make a difference.

I decided to take the plunge. The monitor arrived well within the free delivery timescale. The box included the stand, a 3-pin power lead, a 2-pin power lead, a VGA cable, booklets and a CD with software. My plan was to use a HDMI cable which I already had. The unit is light and has a glossy black bezel which matches my PC. The stand was easy to attach with the aid of a cross head screwdriver. There are 5 unmarked plastic buttons on the underside just to the right of the stand.

After connecting everything up, I could not switch the monitor on! The manual didn't point out where the on/off button was. After some frantic pressing of buttons and searching I found the power button to be the stylish bit of plastic that protrudes out below the "acer" logo at the bottom. There is small a power symbol on it which is hard to see. This button glows blue when the screen is on and orange in standby mode.

Once on, the screen is bright. I found that the contrast was a bit high and looked best with it turned down quite low. I also found that when using HDMI there was an inch thick black border between the display and bezel. I switched to using a DVI cable and this was rectified. The 5 buttons activate the OSD where you can adjust brightness, contrast, colour and select input type and screen modes such as standard, graphics, movie or an eco power saving mode. I usually stick with user defined settings. I found the included software to be useless. I used it once to calibrate the screen but on second use, it asked to update and remained stuck on that same screen. I just uninstalled it as it's not really required.

Now after using this monitor for a week I can say that it is a great screen. Colours and vivid, text is crisp and clear. Games look great in widescreen HD and I have not noticed any lag due to the response time. You just need to ensure that your graphics card is up to it. I have made the Windows screen bigger and when surfing I use Chrome's zoom feature to make the text more readable as in native HD resolution the text is smaller than what I am used to.

Overall I can thoroughly recommend this monitor. I am very happy with it. I don't see any reason for needing to pay any more for a 24 inch HD screen.
2828 comments| 255 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 March 2012
This was a very good buy for the generously small price Acer are asking for it and I knew from past experience that LED monitors were very good but this one still managed to impress me. It also comes with both a 2-pin and 3-pin connection to the wall so you don't need to worry about any power adapters.

To start I think it looks very nice - it fits the black theme that many of my electronics seem to have, looking sleek and thin on my desk right now. The matte finish is a good choice for the stand over the shiny gloss finish that will scratch as soon as you rest your fingers on it and will be noticeable forever after. The bezel that goes around the screen is a sleek gloss finish which looks very nice. On the bottom it has a blue power light beneath a piece of transparent plastic, the power symbol etched on and this looks very smart. This screen is very thin at the top indeed (only 13mm). Not worryingly thin like the new LG screens at a fragile and scary 3mm thick. There's nothing that I can fault here about the appearance.

I think this is a very good size to be working on at this resolution for all tasks such as office work as you can fit a lot on your screen at once, browsing the web with the option to zoom in web pages or gaming which I do do as well. The ports on the back are HDMI, VGA and DVI so there is a lot of options for connectivity. I have my PC set up via digital DVI and HDMI for the Xbox. Switching sources is very easy, just press the furthest right button twice and it will pick the next active source; This is very easy compared to my old screen where I would have to go through a few menus to get to where I wanted. There isn't too big of a range of viewing options like tilt but I'd say it's perfectly adequate for use if the monitor is properly positioned. Just having a look right now as I write this up the viewing angles are very good on here, you will not find your screen dull if your looking from the side very much at all. There is very good contrast displayed and the colours are vibrant and a pleasure to look at. I really couldn't want anything more for this and it's now such a low price I think I may buy another to fit alongside this one now. 10 out of 10 rating and 5 stars rating. A Great Buy

EDIT 1: This monitor has been viewed so well by my friends that two of them have decided to purchase one themselves! If anything shows how much of a good product this is, that has to be it!
66 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2013
The reviews written here are all on the mark. The build quality feels great, it's stylish, minimalist, and the picture is the best of the monitor's I've tried.

My only complaint is that the screen doesn't have VESA mounting points, and therefore can't be mounted on a stand or wall. This wasn't an issue when I bought them, as I intended for them to be on the desk, but having just decided to put them on a stand, I now need to replace these sadly and find units I can mount.

Other than that though they're superb so if you don't need to mount your screen then I highly recommend
on 25 August 2013
huge improvement over hunching over my laptop! plus, now i can have babes around to watch movies.

you'll get a much better/crisper quality image with either a HDMI cable, or DVI cable if you dont have an HDMI slot on your computer.

some people are complaining about a black edge around the screen when using an HDMI cable. this is because your video driver is set to do some "overscan" by default. go into your display options panel (Catalyst Control Center for ATI drivers), find the external display, and set overscan to 0%.

also find the "use display for scaling/use GPU for scaling" box and set it to "display" - no need to tax the GPU because the monitor has a built-in computer to do this.

this little fix worked on both windows 7 and linux ATI drivers for me.
if your display isn't working at full 1920x1080 resolution immediately, try pressing the "change displays" button on your keyboard - usually Fn+F7 or something like that. should detect the proper capabilities then.

hth
on 30 November 2011
Having been one of the first two to buy this monitor, I was a bit wary, as when I bought it, there were no reviews. But am using it now and can't believe the performance! Great colour, great brightness really crisp visuals. Despite the pictures, it DOES come with DVI-D, HDMI and VGA for those wishing piece of mind.

Even better, the setup is really simple. The most challenging part is taking it out of the box! You will need a screwdriver to screw the stand into the base of the tilt (which clips into the base of the monitor)

Pros:

-Great visuals
-Great price
-Easy setup
-Amazing looks (sleek and stylish)
-Thin enough to fit on the smallest of desks
-Comes with both a UK and European Standard Plug

Cons:

-Only comes with a VGA cable as standard
-Very wide (but then again, it is a WIDEscreen monitor!)
22 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2012
For so long, I've been trying out a few 24" monitors as an upgrade without any success whatsoever, so I sent them back and just stuck with my Acer 21.5" monitor instead. This is basically the same, but bigger, with an HDMI input.

I've tried 2 Benqs (one was good for the price but it was LCD, the other was LED but was gloss but I didn't know this, and I HATE gloss) and one Asus (which was crap, I really don't see why Asus get so much attention, the colours were all wishy washy and inaccurate) so I decided that I'd try a bigger Acer monitor and all I can say is, SUCCESS!!

Images look natural, text is bold and clear, and movies look terrific on it. I'm sure games do too. It's just an overall, natural looking monitor with a very CLEAN and CLEAR image representation with no gimmicks or anything. Frankly, if your looking for a good affordable 24" monitor, you've come to the right place. It's a BRILLIANT monitor and a great purchase. I just wish I bought it earlier, but I read somewhere it was gloss and I have severe issues with glossy monitors.

Also, I see a few questions of whether or not people think it might be matte or gloss. Well, I can happily confirm that it's 100% MATTE.

I would thoroughly recommend this monitor, I bought it directly off amazon for £133 (I have issues with second or third party sellers) and bought it on free super saver delivery and received it 2 days later (kudos to amazon for that).

It turns on and off in lightning speed with a handy button that's at the centre of the monitor with a nice blue tint and an overall nice, thin, sleek and sexy piano black appearance.

Adjusting settings are easy to have it in user mode (your own personal favourite settings, (I have mine on brightness 55, contrast 30, colour temp 'user') as well as standard, games and movie mode (but I don't bother with those) as the factory settings are a bit rubbish. But I just prefer to have it in user mode for everything, it looks perfect to me.

Acer make GREAT monitors but for some reason are overlooked by Asus, Benq, LG and Samsung and many other popular brands.

If you want a 24" monitor for a good price, go for it, trust me, you will NOT be disappointed. I honestly can't recommend this monitor enough.
on 14 November 2012
Just got my second monitor!
Its just amazing! I felt in love with the first one when I got it, a few months later I said I want another one because they are so slim and so good and lets not forget the price.
Thanks Asus for such a great product.
Dual is amazing! I highly recommend it!
review image
on 24 July 2012
This monitor at first glance was incredible, the reviews were great, price was great, size was great, HDMI connection... great. Just great.

I already had a Samsung 23.6 inch monitor (this was to be my second monitor) and was pleasantly suprised at the size difference between the two. It looks far bigger vertically so at first I was very happy.

Unfortunately when I turned the screen on I was immediately dissapointed. The colour difference between my 2-3 year old Samsung monitor and this Acer monitor was astonishing... in favour of my old Samsung. The colour on this monitor when sat next to the samsung was dull and lifeless. The colours were just no where near as crisp, black on my Samsung when dragged over to the Acer looked grey and despite trying to get on with it for over a week (due to being lazy more than anything else) I simply couldn't and had to return it. I was constantly finding myself dragging things over to my older monitor to watch because the quality looked so poor by comparison on the acer.

I am not saying this is a bad monitor, if I only had this monitor and no Samsung monitor to compare it to I may well have been happy, I might not even have noticed. But all I can say is that paying an extra £10-20 for a Samsung monitor is absolutely worth it. The difference in quality, on screen, is just staggering.

I am dissapointed with myself for going with the cheaper option but I truly did not beleive there would be this kind of a difference. I will stick with what I know and love in the future, that's Samsung.
44 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse