on 17 November 2011
In the box (besides the bike) You'll get an Allen-key, and an all-in-one screwdriver/bolt tightner thingy, which saved me having to root around in my toolboxes for the right gear, so that it self was a bonus with this purchase.

Three things I'd like to highlight to you all:

1st/ PARTS -
There should be no need to panic like i did about missing screws or bolts, like in the case for the saddle and the pedals, as the screws/bolts are already attached to the saddle and the pedals are one-piece screw in's =)

2nd/ SET UP -
It's simple enough, BUT, when you come to the part where you have to hook up the tension cable (steel wire) to base, my advice is to lower the setting to 1 using the black twist dial.
I got stuck for a while trying to stretch the steel wire by hand to connect it, and as much as I am strong, and it felt like i could do it, i finally had to concede that I'm not that able to beat the steel cable. So i had to call up and this is when i learned about lowering the setting to 1 via the black twist dial as it isn't mentioned in the instructions - instructions i didn't have to read until i got to that part =(

3rd and final/ COMPUTER -
At the back of the computer unit where you put the batteries in, the battery lid can fall inside the computer unit, so my advice be careful or use tape to secure it in a way that you only have to press it open and it drops down.
I have had the lid fall inside the unit, but it fell back out again before i could even turn it around to the back to look.

As for the computer it self, it's a basic LCD display with a one touch button change that takes you through all the various display modes.
There is a time feature on the computer, but i don't see the need for it and so there's no point trying to figure out how to set the time using just the one button, which would probably just annoy you, and it's your body which will correctly determine how long you can go anyway, not the clock.

The pulse reading feature seems to be ok, i have another CPU based device which accurately shows pulse levels and the bike's computer reading is close enough to trust. However, while the pulse reading is what i use most, it's the exercise we're after here and not the computer functions really - and the bike will certainly give that to you, IF you really want the exercise that is.

One feature besides the pulse which you might find helpful will be the distance reading, this is crucial for mental discipline, something a lot of people seem to be lacking in these days.

Set yourself some goals and make it happen!

............

So, knowing about lowering the tension setting to one to hook that steel wire up, full set up should only take around 5-10 minutes if you're doing it yourself like i was, going from unpack to full set up and using it.
.....................

REVIEW:

I'm 6ft and ~16stone and a leg measurement of 34 and at the maximum height on the saddle setting I can operate the bike without any clearance issues.

I'm well built and i have had this bike at tension setting 8 which is the toughest it goes, and i have been really thrashing the bike by pushing myself to my limit of pain and for how long i can take that pain and i have to say the bike holds up nicely. - There's simply no other way to test than to properly thrash it!

The tension setting on this bike when at its maximum is bang on for the type of exercise you're doing, because with a bike, you're aiming for 'Toning and Endurance' for your leg muscles - do not expect to walk away from using this bike to end up with massive unnatural bodybuilders legs because NO BIKE will give that to you, for that you must hit the gym and push the weights, I know, because this is what I have done in the past.
Honestly though, you don't need to even use this at max tension setting. You could quite happily use this bike on setting one for a few months so as to teach your muscles properly (yes i said teach your muscles) before upping the settings and i would actually recommend doing this anyway simply for your heart and lungs to get a bit of love while not stressing your legs much at all.

There is 8 height adjustments on the saddle neck, and the settings are a cinch to adjust. So even if you're shorter than 6ft there's going to be a comfortable setting for you.

I actually do sessions with the saddle lowered to as low as i can comfortably do full cycles so as to get more work into my muscles (If you choose to do this, then please take it easy if you're tall and go slow-ish. (tearing quadriceps is not nice)

In regards to comfort - The saddle does have quite a good cushion on it, i can press my thumb into it a fair amount, but like most standard supplied saddles they become uncomfortable, at which time getting a cushion off the sofa would be a good idea, or perhaps investing in one of those fancy gel saddles the trendies bang on about - but I'm a bit of a tightwad with money, so the pillow/cushion option does me fine.

I easily give the Body Sculpture BC1700 Exercise Bike a full 5 stars here, it certainly performed under the punishment i gave it during testing and it's still going, and besides the priceless workouts you'll get and benefit to your health and fitness, you also get a LCD computer which gives you fairly accurate pulse readings etc, and for the current price of £90 it's certainly worth picking this up to use now.

It would also be a great and very thoughtful gift for a young teenager as well - get them off those games consoles for an hour each day!

If i had tried this at a friends house and never heard of it before then, i would have been expecting and willing to pay around £130 or so, and I would have felt I got my monies worth as well. Some people today don't realize just how precious health is until it hits them one day that their health is failing - don't make that mistake, do something about your health today!
3636 Comments| 479 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2016
Had this for two years and used most days. As long as you keep the bolts tightened (as they become a little loose over time/useage) and it stays in one place, it works well!

I would recommend to find yourself a good bike seat cover as the seat is very uncomfortable, but for the price honestly can't complain really.
It has a lot of different options on the main panel such as distance, time and even has a heart rate monitor built into the handles.
on 3 April 2014
There are certain times in your life when you have to get trim and getting into a waistcoat for your wedding is surely one. This is my challenge and with aid of the ‘Body Sculpture BC1700 Exercise Bike’ I decided to accept it. The ‘BC1700’ is a great exercise bike, but not on arrival. In my lifetime the bikes I have used have been fully formed, I sit on them and ride. The ‘BC1700’ arrives in more of a kit form that you must assemble. Some people have fond this tricky and they would be right, constructing the ‘BC1700’ can be a workout itself. It is easy enough to assemble, apart from the part that connects the upright handles to the weights inside the main body. It took a lot of strength and some liberal use of pliers to get the ballast attached, but it is worth it.

The ‘BC1700’ relies on the weight housed near the pedals. It is connected to a dial on the front that can be cranked left or right to make the ride easier or harder. With the weights correctly attached you get a fantastic workout. On the lowest setting things are easy enough, but cranking things up soon build up the amount of energy you need to use. I found this fantastic as I started off on the low settings, but as my legs strengthen I am moving on up – I have plenty of progress to achieve as the bike offers a real challenge.

Other elements also work – the pulse detector is a nice touch and you have a readout that lists through different ways to measure your progress; calories burnt, speed, time etc. All in all, if you build the ‘BC1700’ well in the first place you get a great exercise bike, but make sure that you do spend the time at the beginning getting it all set up perfectly.
I got this bike because it was a great price in a lightening deal. It is easy to put together . It has a nifty little device that shows how long you have been doing it, how far you have gone ,the speed your going at, what your heart beat is and how many calories you have burnt. I have done it a few times but I just can not get myself motivated. The saddle is very uncomfortable for my very delicate posterior. BUT I will endeavour to get on my bike even if it is only for 10 minutes every day and build it up from there.
on 2 June 2013
This is an excellent exercise bike for the money paid. There is enough resistance for someone who is not a professional cyclist and simply wants some regular exercise or, as in my case, help to recover after a replacement knee operation. It was straightforward to assemble - as with others, I did find the cable a little difficult, but got there in the end.
on 30 May 2017
Amazing product! Have been using for over a year now and has helped me reduce weight significantly. Late but useful review! Recently found out that some of the other designs are not appropriate for my short height.
on 21 April 2017
Very good value, stable piece of equipment.
this is my second product, the first was damaged in transit and made an awful noise - amazon quickly replaced.
you do have to assemble this - read several reviews as I had no difficulty at all but some people obviously have, read the manual! and be patient. I am just 6foot/1.8m and it is at the limit of saddle pole extension.
I have bought this primarily as a gentle exercise/recovery tool and feel that it will suit me for some time, it is fairly quiet in use BUT the saddle is not going to suit everyone be prepared buy a gel cover for comfort, the level of resistance does not match gym cycles but for £90 what do you expect? if you are a serious cyclist this will not stretch you.
The bike is stable and fits in the corner of my smallest bedroom easily, pull it out a little use it and push it back out of the way - much better I feel than a folding exercise bike.
For me this is a good value item. If you cannot afford the gym or are unlikely to make your way there reliably or just like to exercise on your own then give this a try.
on 3 January 2012
The product was easy to assemble once you mastered the instructions. Everything works and the machine is robust and stable in use. You do need a better spanner to tighten up the saddle nuts.
on 26 August 2013
Like other reviewers I too found attaching the tension cable tricky- however once I had help (someone who could actually hold the front post in position while I forced the cable into its place, it was pretty simple. Best advice (like other reviews) is to have someone to help! Once set up, the bike does what it's supposed to, I'm 6ft and it's ok height wise for me, display is straightforward to understand, settings (seat, tension, pedals) are easily adjustable. Recommended!