Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

VINE VOICEon 17 January 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After reading Celia and the Fairies, my daughter (7) was eager to read the next book from Karen McQuestion.

Secrets of the Magic Ring doesn't follow on from the first book, but it does have very similar themes and the same, easy to read, writing style that children aged 7-8 should be able to easily follow.

The story involves a magic wishing ring that a young boy called Paul finds. As is usual in these stories, wishes do not go according to plan and there is a moral running through this story about being selfish.

Though the main character is a boy, girls will find plenty to enjoy here. There is magic and the return of fairies as in the earlier book, plus the story itself is another excellent adventure full of magic. It feels almost timeless compared to many modern stories about children and harks back to stories I read in my own youth.

I thoroughly recommend Secrets of the Magic Ring and the previous book, Celia and the Fairies, for children aged 7 and up.
on 10 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This story by Karen McQuestion contains a great mix of magic, fairies and adventure. It certainly kept my 7 year old daughter interested for her bedtime story. We haven't read Celia and the Fairies (the prequel to this book), but it didn't matter in the slightest. I would recommend this book to both girls and boys, it certainly has more substance to it than some of the other children's books out there.
VINE VOICEon 15 December 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a wonderful book. It's so well written - and the story is great. It's full of intrigue and suspense, with a fair amount of fun thrown in. My 6 year old son thinks this is fantastic, and I must admit, I found myself reading on a bit further even when he'd fallen asleep at bedtime, as I got so into the story!! I wish there were more books like this for children - good, old fashioned magical tales that don't involve violent aliens blasting each other to pieces or kids who have problems we should all be able to relate to.......... I for one want a bit of escapism in a book, and this is perfect. I hope there are lots and lots of copies purchased as Christmas gifts, as this is a perfect gift for any child (or young at heart adult!).
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first in the series was a direct hit for my 8 year old daughter. This follow-up, which became a Christmas present not only was consumed in a few days over the Christmas break but left my daughter with some clear and delightful memories of the characters and situations.

My daughter: "I loved this book. I wish there were more. It is magical and imaginative without being too caught up with typical modern tweenie issues. Brilliant."

I trust her judgement. So should you.
on 16 August 2013
I read this book to check it was suitable for children and it managed to get me hooked to the point where I had to finish it. The book would make a great bedtime story for children over the age of 5. Also the book would make a great read for children.
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lovely story aimed at those in the 8 - 10 year age bracket. The story is about Paul whose Aunt insists on building him a swimming pool and in doing so, he finds a ring........... I am not going to go into any more detail because I dont want to spoil the story.

Lovely style of writing which children will find appealing and a magical story line.

I would definately recommend this book for any child interested in reading and magic!!
on 1 January 2015
My daughter loved it. Here is her review,

I am 8 years old and thoroughly enjoyed this story.
This book is about a boy and a MAGICAL ring.
I read it very quickly because the story kept me in suspense.
This story is quite funny and full of surprises.
It teaches us to be careful of what we wish for.
When I finished the book my dad was very proud of me because I learnt a lot of new and difficult words. My favourite, new word is preposterous.
I recommend this book to boys and girls who like magical stories.
on 3 October 2015
Hi I'm Bertie and I am eight. I chose this book because I liked Celia and the fairies. I liked this book although it had scary bits in it. I think boys would like this book too because a boy called Paul is the main character.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A piece of urban fantasy aimed at younger readers. Most ideally those aged seven to ten. But well enough written such that those of an older age might enjoy it as well.

It runs for one hundred and forty seven pages - of quite large and readable print - and is divided into thirty seven chapters.

There are also illustrations of various points in the story.

Main character is Paul, who has parents who don't quite relate to him. A dog called Clem. A friend called Celia. And a rich aunt. Who decides to give him a swimming pool for his birthday.

When this is being built Paul finds a box buried in the ground. Opening it reveals a special ring. That allows it's owner to make a wish.

But what should Paul wish for? And who is the strange boy lurking nearby who wants to get his hands on the ring?

There's an old saying about why you should be careful what you want. And Paul is about to find out how true that is...

This is superbly written and very readable from the off, and the writer does get all the character perspetives nearly everything is seen from Paul's viewpoint. The way he and his parents can't quite relate to each other is spot on. It also covers many things that kids of his age will go through, such as problems with classmates.

The plot does unfold at a nice pace with a few twists and turns. The seeming villain of the piece is well written because they have credible motivation. And the fantasy elements - although perhaps revealed a little too early - are quite nicely done.

All is wrapped up at the end very well also.

An entertaining little fantasy. The moral lessons it touches on are never put over in a ham fisted way. It's ideal light reading for younger readers looking for a good fantasy tale. And just the kind of thing you could read to your kids at bedtime.

Although you might have to fight the temptation to keep it for yourself.
VINE VOICEon 4 December 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I just loved this book! I'm not ashamed to say that though I've long been an adult, I just ADORED this read!

From time to time, we receive certain books we choose from Amazon for 'review', but sadly many of them are usually 'uncorrected proofs' which sometimes means (especially in this case) some bits can be missing, and in this particular instance it was the pictures that should have been featured - and I sorely wanted to see them... Such a pity... However; the book was absolutely wonderful!

A small boy finds a ring. He later discovers quite by accident that the ring is magic, but that the wearer only gets to make a single wish. This sounds great, but there are many complications as the ring passes from person to animal!

This story is full of twists and turns, and I'm not ashamed to say was a bit stumped as to figure out how all this was going to be sorted out, and so I just KNOW kids of all ages with any imagination will just love it!

The only minor continuity error I found was when the boy 'Henry' comes to Paul's window asking him for a favour, and Paul doesn't hesitate but to talk with him felt a bit 'odd', as the last only time he'd seen the strange Henry before, the boy had been quite unfriendly and quite threatening, and so I thought this needed a little bit more time in the story to develop - perhaps by having the boys meet up a couple of more times first to get to know each other a bit better perhaps to be a bit more credible. (a small niggle for such a good read though!)

Five Stars!