on 26 August 2011
Have read all the Jack Reacher novels and eagerly awaiting the next one, came across this mini story, which turns out to be a nice little back story of Reacher's family.

It's nice to have a snapshot into a characters previous life, and adds some depth to the new books.

Just be warned this is a super short read, ie/ I downloaded around 9pm, and was finished by around 11pm - and that was reading in my iPad!
on 16 August 2011
I am a great fan of Lee Child and Jack Reacher - but I was greatly disappointed by SECOND SON. I expected it to be a novela at the price but this, although containing some insights into the character we love, really could have been included as back-story in one of the existing novels, or the next one. I feel we already have a well rounded view of Jack Reacher's background/motivation and this is not only unnecessary, but blatant merchandising. I for one certainly don't want to see a spin off series of Jack Reacher as a kid - the adult version is much more interesting. Well written, as to be expected, and I will still be buying the next in the real series - hoping that it will make up for this. I think it should be clearer that this is more of an insert than a book and the price dropped accordingly to avoid readers' disappointment!
11 comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2011
Knowing it was going to be a short story, I didn't get my hopes up too much. I was just excited about having a little Reacher taster before the new book comes out. I wasn't sure how well a teenage Reacher would come across but i was left very happy with this little insight at Reacher growing up, his relationship with his brother and especially with his father, who we have never really learnt much about through all the Reacher books. I am left hoping that Lee Child will go further with the younger Reacher and his family as i think there could be some interesting storyline there.
on 30 September 2011
The 3 stars because I'm a Reacher fan and this adds to the character. If this were a stand-alone short story it would be worth maybe 2 stars. I'm guessing Mr Child found himself at a loose end one afternoon and decided to knock out a shortie for some pin money. But at least he knows how to tell a story and, for fans, it is an interesting diversion and goes some way to putting a little more flesh (if needed) on Mr Reacher's character.

Unless you're a committed Reacher nut there might be a better home for your 89p.
on 6 September 2011
This is an okay short story. No more or less than I expected. I did dither before buying and almost didn't bother as not in to short stories. However at .89p thought might as well give it a go.

Can't say I was disappointed, but on the other hand was not excited by it either, sort of somewhere in between.
on 4 December 2011
THE BOOK SECOND SON BY LEE CHILD WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT TO ME AS AN AFICIONADO OF LEE CHILD AND PARTICULARLY HIS JACK REACHER BOOKS.

I WOULD HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT IT WAS WRITTEN TONGUE-IN-CHEEK ONE WET SUNDAY AFTERNOON. WITH REACHER HE PUSHES OUR BELIEF IN AND ACCEPTANCE OF LOGICAL THOUGHT TO THE BOUNDARIES. BUT TO ACCEPT SUCH FROM A YOUNG TEENAGER WHEN ALL ADULTS AROUND HIM APPEAR TO BE " GORMLESS" AND ACCEPTING THIS ARMY KID'S LEADERSHIP AND INSTRUCTIONS.
SORRY, JUST UNBELIEVABLE.
SECOND SON is so short I finished it during my forty-five minute lunch break. Happily, it's a cheap read; I paid more for my pizza slice.

Here, it's 1974 and thirteen-year old Jack Reacher joins his mother, older brother, and Marine officer father as they move to Okinawa for Dad's new duty assignment.

Thirteen? More like thirteen going on thirty-five. Even at this early age, there's no indication Jack had (or is having) a normal childhood. If Jack's age hadn't been stated, the reader could just as well assume it was his same adult persona featured in the previous full-length novels.

The plot is vintage Reacher as he takes on solving the problems of others and beating up those bullies that cross his path.

SECOND SON may have seemed like a good idea at the time to author Lee Child, but its execution came out reading somewhat silly.
Really enjoyed the book, a great short insight in to Reachers early life.

I liked the way it was undoubtably about Jack Reacher, I also enjoyed the fact it was a short story, read in about an hour, I would like to see more of this perhaps covering his joining the MP's.

Keep them coming, looking forward to The Affair
on 28 January 2014
No, a bit beyond ridiculous. And me a devoted Jack Reacher fan. How old's this kid again? Fifteen? Fourteen? Younger? And the US Military Police are "Yesssirrring" upon his every wisely considered suggestion. Yeah...right.
C'mon, Lee. Don't you think perhaps that Reacher's run his course if this is where the novels are going?
on 18 August 2011
Very surprised by some of the reviews. Amazon's title very clearly states that this is a short story. So you must know what you're buying. A short story is usually less than 10,000 words, so why complain?

It's not a book, novel or novella, and is not sold as such. The price is much lower than a newly issued professionally published book from a popular author, and not excessive.

As it is so short, it would be unfair to say anything about the plot and risk spoiling it for other people. It is a self contained story, is true to the Reacher universe, and has enough mystery to keep you reading. I liked the interaction between Reacher and his brother.