on 27 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As asomeone who enjoys dabbling with music and creating tunes for fun mainly, I was delighted to test this software given there is aquite abit on the market. This is a brand new piece of software that makes it quite (not very) easy to produce melodies due to the fact that the onscreen keyboard shows the corresponding laptop keys!Easy to load it doesn't take too long to get a grip as to what is what on your mixer and to start overlaying samples and getting started. I found that the programmes Beatbox 2 built in drum machine to be extremely user-friendly. The interface is very visual and is similar to that offered by iDrum. As you would expect the programme comes with thousands of samples you can use so the only limit to your music is your creative ideas. There is a neat little tool built in that allows you to combine samples of rain, background city noise, fire, strings etc to create ambient soundscapes, which allow you even more opportunities to blend music and sound effects to create the ultimate track.

The software also includes various effect racks, compressors and filters and the mastering suite is comprehensive and excellent.

The programme is aimed more at the beginner and those who are relatively new to producing music and would like to see instant results within an easy to use tool that has enough technology, samples and tools to keep you busy without being over complex.

When loading be ready because the programme downloads a large sample library of 5,500 samples which are neatly organised into a large `Soundpool', which then separates them in to various styles. These include Minimal Tech-House, Hip-Hop, Movie Score and plenty of others with many, many options of core instruments - bass, drums, guitar, keys, mallet, pads, percussion, sequences, strings, synth, vocals and wind. So, with all this to hand you can quickly create some signature Rap/Hip-Hop/Dance and it's also dead easy to work with the samples is you simply slide them to whwre you want them! You can quite easily combine the samples to make something half decent and listenable within about 15 minutes.

The software comes bundled with various instruments e.g. Century Guitar,Electric Bass, Revolta and Lead Synth. The guitar and bass synths are truly replicated with more power and bass than some cheaper packages. The Revolta instrument is the most powerful and encompasses FX, pads, ambient sounds etc while lead Synth, unsurprisingly houses all the saw lead type sounds, though is limited to just a few presets.

This was great fun and if you are starting out or looking for something better then this comes recommended.
44 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 3 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I haven't had much luck with music creation/editing programs in the past. The only one I have any kind of understanding of is FL Studio 10 Signature Bundle Edition, and even then I struggle to get anything beyond basics done.

This new package from Magix, is a little too simple, but it serves as a springboard to bigger and better things. Once you master this you'll probably feel more confident graduating to more sophisticated programs. Magix have been quite inconsistent in that past regarding the quality of their products, but I'd rank this somewhere in the middle. It's not flimsy and shareware-like, but it doesn't have enough meat on it either. I guess this is why it's a good place to start for the novice music-maker, but don't expect to be using this package forever. Once you master it you'll quickly move on to something better, and for that I suggest using a Fruity Loops package.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
**I used this software on a PC with specs of; Windows 7 64-bit Operating System, Intel i7 960 3.2 GHz Processor, NVIDIA 580 GTX Graphics & 12GB RAM.** Software installation was a breeze to go through, I had no problems at all which is always a bonus.

I had high hopes when the software loaded up, the interface is clean and colourful, I couldn't wait to get stuck in and try to make some music, but it wasn't that simple for me.

I just couldn't get the hang of it and I just ended up getting frustrated, so I had to get my friend who was more musically in-tuned than me to have a wizz, he didn't seem to have a problem navigating around having a play around with it, but he did state that although it was good for a good range of stuff, he wouldn't choose this software for professional use and would be more willing to pay extra for the more expensive/profession software versions.

So from me it's a thumbs down and from my friend a thumb in the middle.
VINE VOICEon 23 December 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Nice starter software with plenty of samples and loops to get you started in many genres.
The user interface allows drag and drop and as you get going you can start to manipulate the sounds I have not yet competed anything to a conclusion as after one month I am still finding new ways to tinker. I am close though and looking forward to having some time off to really knuckle down and conclude some of the many ideas I now have stored!!!

See you in the charts in a years time trying to out do the latest X factor contestant !!!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This package represents a decent piece of starter-level audio production software. A digital mixing tool with a fairly neat and clear interface and plenty of features for the casual amateur as well as more serious musicians, it promises plenty of variety and adaptability, with everything from basic preloaded instrument loops and a built-in drum machine to much more sophisticated sounds and some interesting detailed editing techniques. Novices must be prepared to spend a considerable amount of time discovering the numerous facets and facilities of the programme, but - courtesy of Magix - there are some invaluable interactive tutorials and online forums for guidance. Once you've mastered it all you will enjoy exploring the programme's potential.
on 21 December 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's a good few years since I last messed about with this type of product (dance ejay in the mid-90s). That was tremendous fun back then and very easy to use, and it is interesting that the basic interface for these type of software suites which focus on user friedliness over functionality hasn't changed much over the last decade. I guess this is on the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' principle. Top and bottom of it was I was able to get going and make some pleasant sounding noise in literally minutes. You can drag and drop sounds from collections which are nicely matched for tempo and key, and lay vocals or your own recordings on top. There is a fair sized library of sound-samples that come included to get you going.

My niggles are that I actually suffered a proper old-school style crash on my second run of the software. Complete freeze requiring a CTRL-ALT-DELETE to fix. I run a powerful 2011 MacBook pro bootcamping Windows 7. The Mac may have something to do with it, but I have to say I haven't encountered anything similar on any other software in the six months I have used the machine daily. It hasn't repeated since, but it is a worry.

Second, don't get too carried away by the claimed number of samples - in reality each style sounds like snippets of the same song, so many songs you do in each style just sound like remixes of the same thing. This is less of an issue if you are laying down your own sounds ontop, but if you just want to use their own samples you'll quickly be wanting to download (and therefore spend on) more samples.

That said though - it does what it says on the box - has more powerful functionality under the hood if you know what you are doing - and has a very quick learning curve. For an interested amateur rather than a pro, this is a good product at a fair price.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this package because I had the 'Lite' version with their sounds effects software. I enjoyed using the Lite package so when I saw this decided to take the plunge. Every now and then a piece of software comes along that is just easy and fun to use, this is such a piece of software. It is great fun to use and is capable of some serious composition and teaches as it goes. I have little musical skill but wanted to improve video work I had taken with background sounds and music and with this software I have achieved both. I just like playing around with it and find it so easy to use. I expect in skilled hands quite a lot could be achieved with it. I expect more advanced musicians will find it limiting but for the amateur like me wanting to experiment and learn as you go this is an enjoyable and rewarding piece of software. I still have lots of the menus to explore but so far I have made pleasing attempts at simple compositions and sound effects for my video work. I am now going to learn properly and this software has been the catalyst to sit down and do it, a great introduction to music on the PC and capable of good results.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With a vast selection of loops and sounds Music Maker MX makes a good choice as well as good music! It has a few new features, too, including a lead analog synthesizer, a drum engine, a loop designer and great VST support making it easy to use other instruments and effects.

At first I was confused as I put the disc into my PC and it didn't automatically run, so I had to find the disc in 'My Computer' and was given two choices of files to extract; Samplitude and Music Maker Silver

Test for 7 days or register without limitations. I registered and an activation code was sent to me via email. The advantages of registering with Magix are good, as you get your own online album (web page), Magix website maker and up to 19 GB storage and your own web address.

Activation - Easy set up - notification pops up and then you're in!

Don't worry if this sounds a lot to take in, if you are new to this sort of thing. Just click the demo and press play to see what this programme is capable of. it was all amazingly user-friendly, which I have to say I did not expect, as these music maker programmes quite often look (and are) very complicated to use, but not this one, so I do recommend this for anyone just starting out, plus the ease of use made it great fun! I particularity found the tuition video tremendously helpful.
VINE VOICEon 3 November 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This product was easy to download and register and only took about 7 minutes in all. First impression was that the tutorial was very comprehensive and easy to understand,even if you have relatively little musical knowledge. The graphics are fantastic. The sound sampler is crystal clear and I love the way it can create a lot of ideas to make music with modern technology.

Although this is good for the beginner, it also has a lot of potential for the professional musician and I have plugged in my midi keyboard sound system for a greater effect and I am so pleased with the result that after 3 days I have decided to buy Music Maker Premium to enhance my music production.

This product is highly recommended for beginner and professional musician.
on 20 March 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've never tried any music production software before and I'm not terribly musical, but I decided to give this a whirl and see if I could at least put together a track to make an interesting alternative to the usual ring tones for my phone.

Set-up and registration were relatively painless and the application loaded speedily on my aging laptop. The interface was invitingly clutter-free at first glance, but after 10 minutes I conceded that watching the tutorial video would save me a fruitless half hour of dead ends. The tutorial takes you through the basics of loops, samples, synthesizers, recording audio and vocals, accessing the massive libraries, how to import even more material, and how to export your finished masterpieces. After 20 minutes I was confidently overlaying and mixing and intercutting some recorded yelping (courtesy of my dog) with my warbling (not as tuneful as the dog's) set against a spicy samba sample with bongo drums (well, why not) and Uillean bapipes (don't knock it 'til you've tried it!). At this point I decided not to further strain relations with my neighbours, so I saved the file and re-opened it the next time I had some friends over... I know it sounds sad, but we had tremendous fun recording more audio and random samples, and cutting together a collective masterpiece of twisted brilliance. I doubt it will be storming the charts any time soon, but it's pretty priceless to be able to put together something original that makes you laugh and have a great time doing it.

Maybe that's the secret with this software - don't take it too seriously and just concentrate on having fun. For the price it's a bargain.