TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 June 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Our household has two iPods as well as other items, so this unit was very useful on a recent hoiday with the car. It allows you to top up the iPods as you go.

It is of course a very "basic" unit - a bit ugly and with black plastic very much in evidence. But it does the job and is something you can throw in a bag when going on a trip out or holiday using your car. In this respect it doesn't take up much space and can become part of your regular travelling "kit" of essentials.

Amazon's packaging was very minimal and as usual, a great antidote to most similar products, which come in unopenable sealed plastic units; which inevitably need to be hacked at with scissors or knife.

All in all, a useful item that is presented with the minimun of fuss. It does the job and is basic - as you would expect.
on 19 November 2012
I bought this as it had the double USB output and would be helpful to both charge the phone and power the gps unit on trips. I does the work and it's solidly made.
The blue led is quite bright and can be a bit distracting at night though!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a simple, neat and very handy little item that is well worth keeping in the car for those occasions when some or other gadget needs charging. The number of times when we set off somewhere and, after a few minutes, realise one of us forgot to charge an mp3 player, for example, have been high, and now this 2-port charger can end such frustrations. It's simple to use and, so far (I've had it about a month and used it several times), it's very effective.
on 26 June 2012
This looks like a really good idea - but the design seems flawed. I have a Vauxhall Astra, not an uncommon car, and this charger will not stay in the cigarette lighter slot, no matter what I do. The charging plug is too long and the springs on the side just ping it straight out again - it's not like it even stays in a while and works loose - it simply will not stay in unless you hold it and apply pressure to stop it popping out.
I guess it might work on a different car, but it's not much use to me.
on 29 June 2015
I have had this unit for three months exactly and use it five days a week at work to power both my SatNav and windscreen mounted mobile phone. It's a good unit. It's a bit of a loose fit in the work vans, and does work loose, but this is easily resolved by jamming a bit of paper between the socket and 12V plug to create some tension. It's a perfect fit in my car's cigarette lighter. Some 12V sockets are just a bad fit for some 12V plugs and we never really know whether it's the plug or the socket manufacturer's fault!

Everyone complains about the blue LED being bright. I didn't find it a problem - I quite liked it, in fact. My SatNav doesn't warn me that it's not charging until the battery gets very low, so I used to like the reassurance of knowing the connection hadn't worked loose because the blue LED was on. Sadly a few days ago, I plugged the unit in, and the blue LED didn't light. I thought the cigarette lighter socket in the van was broken, and that caused a bit of hassle, but it turns out the unit was actually working fine and charging my equipment - but the blue LED has died a death.

The thought has crossed my mind - if the blue LED can die, what else can go wrong? Is it going to start putting maximum voltage through my expensive SatNav and Phone? I hope not. I am going to see if Amazon will exchange it.
on 25 June 2012
Since getting a HTC One X I'd noticed my old car charger was not up to the job with it's low power output.

I bought this due to the 2.1A output it claims but I'm not convinced. The device works but seems underpowered

On a long journey with Sat Nav the charger failed to keep up and the phone drained quicker than it was charging - it was no better than my old 500mA charger. I've ended up getting another 1 Amp charger that works well.

It does work and the 2 ports are useful for charging other devices such as hands free kit, but overall the AmazonBasics charger doesn't seem to have the power for more demanding devices.
VINE VOICEon 18 June 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It does the specified job; but it is big and clumsy and prone to falling out of vertical sockets if nudged with the hand in use.
I have a Tom Tom version, which is tiny by comparison - but thought I needed a second for the other car.

It will do the job and a good price, so its a good 'un.

PS: Amazon stuck so much tape around the 'simple' packing box - it took a Stanley knife to open it and some cussing!
The object of basic and simple packaging is in the statement - must be a newby on shift.
on 2 March 2016
Not a lot can be said for this product. Plug in to your cars 'cigarette lighter' socket, and you then have a pair of USB power sockets.

I have only ever used one USB socket at a time, and it provides a Samsung Galaxy S3 with enough juice to charge when idle. When using Google Maps Navigation, the battery level stays virtually constant (i.e it doesn't charge, but the battery doesn't run-down either).

There are undoubtedly superior adapters available, but for the price, this is ideal for ensuring that your phone doesn't quickly run outof juice wwhilst in the car. Of course, it depends on how intensively used your device is.

Overall? No complaints.
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been reasonable impressed with this charger. It came in easy-to-open packaging, and although it's pretty ugly and basic-looking, that doesn't really matter when you're only using it in the car. It fit into my cigarette lighter perfectly (I have a Citroen). As soon as I plugged an appliance in the blue light on the unit came on to indicate charging.

I find this really useful for charging my Ipod in the car as before this I didn't have a car charger for my Ipod. I can charge mine and my husband's at the same time which is great, and although it's not the fastest charger I've used, it's not too shabby and I found that a half-hour journey was enough to charge one Ipod about halfway. I can also use it for our phones, though it's slower (of course) than using individual chargers.

This is a cheap, convenient piece of kit and I would recommend it.
on 11 February 2014
I had a cheap USB car charger to use with my sat nav, but it wouldn't stay in place, meaning I was often left without charge on my sat nav. So I decided to spend more and buy a new one. I decided to go with the Amazon branded one as I thought I could trust it. At around £10 it certainly wasn't cheap (not like the 99p one I had been using) & I was confident it would do the job. The reviews were generally good.

BUT

It's rubbish. Yes, it works fine when you first plug it in, but just like the cheap one it also fails to stay in. This is a wolf in sheeps clothing - a cheap and nasty USB car charger pretending to be a good quality one. I've had to stick tape all over it to try to keep it in.

This has to be the most let down I've ever been by an Amazon product. 2 stars only because it does work when you are holding it down or tape it in. But overall, not fit for purpose and shouldn't be sold at this price (You generally expect to get what you pay for and given the performance of this I would have expected this to cost less than £2). I can see why it has been withdrawn from sale (11/2/14) - it's just a shame it wasn't withdrawn before I was conned into buying it last week :-(