Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Discover more Shop now

1,145

on 5 September 2012
I`m nearing 80 and have never EVER shaved with a blade, so I cannot compare the Braun to the 'ultimate' experience!
For the last five years,I shaved alternate days with an old Philishave rotary and a Remington foil. Tapping out the heads each day, it was noticeable that the Philishave gave a closer shave than the Remington, but was much slower.Also, by alternating the two types, the foil picked up odd hairs missed by the rotary and vice versa. The Remington finally started to play up and I looked for a replacement. Not wanting to spend a lot, I hoped to get an old, discontinued foil type for about £40. After reading all the reviews and realising that my shavers have lasted at least 5 years ,I decided to take the plunge and buy the 380s-4 for £75, which was half the price wanted by Boots! What a revelation. I had no idea that shavers had improved so much over the last few years. Fast, quiet,comfortable and with a sturdy carrying case. This is the best shaver I have ever owned, by miles! Wonderful product and has my highest recommendation.(for what that's worth!)
11 comment| 215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Changing shavers is never easy. Having used it every day I had formed an attachment to my previous one, which is not surprising when I read that it has probably shaved the equivalent of five football pitches (I wonder how they arrived at this statistic? I spent an happy ten minutes imagining the look on Sir Alex Ferguson's face if the test pitch had have been Old Trafford).

The change to this shaver though was relatively easy. My previous shaver had been a rotary head model but having had a Braun foil shaver before I was not inexperienced in using one, but even after only one shave using this one a could tell that this was a far superior model; it seems that shaver technology keeps going forward.

With a cool blue inlay on the traditional black exterior the Braun Series 3 380s-4 certainly looks good, and it also feels comfortable in the hand whilst shaving, quite light but not overly so, and is nicely balanced. On turning the shaver on I was immediately aware of how fast and powerful it felt, certainly much faster than any shaver I had used previously. Most importantly though, this shaver gave me a good, clean shave and it did it fairly quickly. When using a electric shaver I am used to having to go over the same area quite a few times before I was satisfied as much stubble as possible had been removed; with this shaver I found that I don't have to so this anything like as much. Also, when using my previous shavers I had got into the habit of `finishing off' with a cheap disposable razor, because invariably there would be a few stray hairs that the shaver had not removed completely. I haven't had any need to do that when using this new Braun shaver yet though. I particularly like the precision setting which, on the clicking of a switch, retracts the central trimmer and one of the foils, thereby allowing you to get to difficult areas, like under the nose, with relative ease. Another feature it as is one that I haven't tried yet - you can use it in the bath or shower. Overall it gives a smooth yet really effective shave; I have fairly sensitive skin but I haven't had any problems so far after using this shaver.

It comes complete with a sturdy, rigid sided carrying case, shaver oil, a cleaning brush and the sockets and cord required for charging.

A full charge will allow you to shave for about 45 minutes, which although not as much as some shavers, is compensated for by the fact that a full recharge will only take an hour and a quick five minute charge should allow you to have a full shave.

To get used to it, I have used this shaver a few times now and I like it. I would never say that I enjoyed shaving, as shaving is one of those boring thinks that a man just as to do, but this Braun shaver allows you to get it over with as quickly and efficiently as possible.
11 comment| 211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2013
I have had a number of electric shavers over the last number of years,mostly Philips.They did not give a particularly close shave
But they were good enough if I wasn't going anywhere special, in which case I would use a wet razor.My biggest problem with Philips shavers was the fact that they always nicked my skin, worse than a safety razor.
I have been using the Braun 380s for a few weeks now and I can honestly say that I am 100% satisfied.I use it dry and it gives me a really close shave with no nicks or irritation. It only take me a few minutes to shave, unlike the Philips that took ages.
Charging is quick and easy,and it lasts a long time between charges.
I can fully recamend the Braun series 3 380s-4.
on 6 October 2011
I neededed a well overdue replacement for my old Braun series 4000 shaver and this Braun series 3 380s-4 looked good value at the discounted price. I am still baffled by all the model identification numbers that Braun use - it must be a tactic to make it difficult for the consumer to compare different models. Anyhow this shaver does definitely produce a smooth close shave with no irritation and is a far better shave than with the old model. Having a somewhat angular face I was concerned about the abilty to follow face contours and shave closely - and for this reason considered a Philips shaver. My concerns were not valid as the Braun Triple Action FreeFloat system works really well in difficult areas. The balance and weight feels good and noise is quiet and assuring. Moustache trimmer is very easy to use. Overall I am very impressed with this shaver and would recommend it.
on 25 November 2011
I bought this shaver just over a month ago. I do like the solid feel of the shaver and it does give a good clean shave. I will add though as others have mentioned the shaver does not give such a clean shave as a wet shaver.

I have been using Braun shavers for over 30 years and in many ways I miss the old made in Germany shavers from the 70s and 80s but the latest shaver does shave just as well or a little better.

The one thing this shaver excels in is that it is quiet and makes little noise. The all in one cutter is also easy to clean.
I am glad I bought this shaver and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new shaver.

Brian Booth
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having not been particularly impressed with the S-340Braun Series 3 340 Electric Rechargeable Wet & Dry Male Foil Shaver, I decided I would give this a go as I was still using a normal Gillette wet shaver.

Although based on a similar technology to the 340, this is a definite improvement and worth the extra £25.

It charges faster, it comes with a nice travel case (which the 340 doesn't), it is quieter and even more effective than the 340.

It still takes me longer to shave using this and the shave doesn't come as close as with my Gillette so I tend to use my Gillette once I have a reasonable amount of growth.

If I have just some light stubble and need to look smart for a meeting then this does the trick perfectly.

So if you are trying to decide between the cheaper 340 and this slightly more expensive model, the 380 is definitely worth it.

Hope that helps.
44 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2012
After years of wet shaving and getting shaving rash and burn, i took the plunge and purchased an electric shaver. I spend many minutes reviewing various shavers and came across this one. The reviews seamed good and i liked the fact you could have a wet shave. I went ahead and bought one about a month ago, this is what i think. First time i used the shaver i had a dry shave, did very well except a couple of thick hairs under my chin, this was quickly sorted by useing the built in trimmer. Second time i used it was in the bath with a small amount of gel. Wow what a great result this gives, its just like having a wet shave with a razor, very smooth finish, and no rash or burn. I have very tuff stubble and it coped great when used wet on 2 day growth. Would highly recommend to folk with sensitive skin or tuff hairs.
on 15 July 2013
I bought this shaver based largely on reviews and wanting to try something different from the rotary shavers I've used for years. This model works well, I have no issues with its performance. The only negative I have found so far concerns the mains cable. When used via the stand the connection is fine and all is well. But if I have to take the shaver on holiday for example and want to be able to charge it, I don't really want to have to take the charging stand as well. But the mains lead is a very loose fit when plugged directly into the shaver. If I hold the shaver upright with the mains lead connected, it simply falls out - there's no click fit or mating action. It does charge though, so I guess I just have to be careful when connecting it and making sure it doesn't get knocked.

One question - should the shaver have a plastic cover to protect the foil? Mine didn't come with one. A friend has a slightly earlier model and his came with a protective cover but no carry case.

Update: my criticism about the cable being a loose fit when plugged directly into the shaver is unfounded. It just needs a firm push - I was being too gentle for fear of damaging a new product.
VINE VOICEon 18 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been plagued by shaving rash for many years now, and have tried various methods and creams to reduce or get rid of the problem. The best method is to use a high quality 5 blade wet razor and change the blade 2 or 3 times a week. However, that gets very expensive so I have tried a number of electric shavers. Until this one all of them have been of the rotary type, and generally I have been happy with the results. The only problem was that after a long weekend it would take me ages to get rid of the longer hairs and usually had to resort to a wet shave on a monday.

All that is now in the past with this shaver. The thingy in between the foils cuts the longer hairs with a minimum of fuss, and although it is not as speedy as I would have believed it is still much faster than my rotary devices. As with any electric the best results are obtained by shaving every day or every other day and not letting the hairs get too long. I also read in the instructions on one of my older shavers that you should allow a couple of weeks for your skin to get used to a device, and this seems to be the case here. The longer I use it the faster and smoother the results are. In fact I have had it for about 3 weeks now and not touched my wet shaver at all. And no shaving rash!

You can use the Braun dry before a shower, but I have had the best results using a bit of normal shaving foam in the shower and wet shaving with it. A very surreal experience at first but one that has reaped good results.

Although this is quite a lot of money to lay out initially, with the price of blades for wet razors nowadays this will pay for itself many many times over.
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I haven't used an electric razor for years, I have a dark beard and I tend to get 5 oclock shadow at about lunchtime and find that a wet shave is usually both faster and more effective. I had been going through a period where I seemed to have developed an amazing ability to cut my skin though whilst leaving the beard intact and this prompted me to look at an electric razor again.
This is an attractive model and it comes with a nice carry case, cleaning implements etc. Like most razors it didn't come with an adaptor and I had to spend a couple of days hunting one down. On the plus side it appears to charge quickly and is easy to maintain.
On the minus side though it still takes longer than a wet shave and the results appear to me at least patchier and not as long lasting. So in a nutshell an attractive razor, but with many of the usual drawbacks that I find with similar products.