on 22 October 2017
Excellent book which I read on my kindle and smartphone. I also use the free audio through Audible, downloadable free to my smart phone. This is really an excellent buy. Additionally I have been informed by professional that these authors are very well respected in the field.
6 people found this helpful
on 24 May 2016
I was sceptical about Mindfullness and self help type books, but this is great. It has helped me identify areas in life where I am stressed and do not need to be, and also to put many things into perspective. Many parts of the book describe exactly how my life and attitude is, and has really helped me to see there is no need to be so wound up over things. The Meditation audio sections are very good. The voice is soothing and I look forward to using them especially at night if I am having trouble getting back to sleep. I downloaded the Kindle edition, as you then have the audio section at your fingertips whilst reading. Don't be put off by the term "Meditation" it did put me off at first, but it really is just a relaxation technique and for me it works!
3 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2016
This is the greatest and best book you will ever find on Mindfulness. There are many other books but before reading any other, I would start with this one.
By chance I came across this book and I am glad I did!
The first chapters elaborate on the why and how Mindfulness can help you to better manage your inner critical voices as well as it helps you to understand how these thoughts occur, and that you are not the only one with (critical) thoughts.
The next chapters will guide you through an 8 week course of Mindfulness, including the tracks on the accompanying CD. There are many Mindfulness apps on the market, but for me personally, it was especially important what each mindfulness track/training was trying to teach you.
I have not been very good at doing the daily mindfulness trainings, let alone completing the training week by week. I started the book/8 week course about 6 months ago and I have just finished week 5 - BUT I started to improve and feel better very soon after week 1 or 2. If you can finish it as recommended in the book, great! If not, and like me you do it your own pace - you will still feel a difference!
5 people found this helpful
on 19 November 2013
I've tried meditation before and never quite understood it although it's a very simple concept. What I never understood was that I should not try to relax and that it was a constant process of concentrating on the breath (or whatever), drifting off, realising and bringing the mind back. If one is lost in thought for much of the time it doesn't matter and it will still work; it doesn't spell failure. This is the first book I've read that's really explained meditation properly; how to do it and how and why it works.

I'm only half way through and I'm still stuck in week 1 but this time I will persevere and I feel more calm already even though I've missed quite a few days. Also see Mark William's lectures on youtube...he's such a kind and understanding man and his lectures are quite amusing.
6 people found this helpful
on 31 January 2016
That the world is an increasingly frantic place is a given. This book clearly articulates a proven methodology to quieten the mind, to relax the mind, to take stock and be more accepting and less critical. It helps nourish the mind which in turn helps keep perpetual perspective with whatever challenges one faces. I have really enjoyed this book and the conscious thinking/quiet focus it helps develop. It will not change your life overnight but I am confident that it has the potential to be life changing if you carry on with the "time out" exercises on a daily basis, ie having embraced it, you make it a part of you and your lifestyle. I have just finished the book and very much intend to do just that. Get it. You will not regret it.
on 28 April 2018
I opened this book in the kindle app and clicked on the link provided in the introduction to access the accompanying audio, but the link came up as 'not available'. The link I have is audible.co.uk/mindfulness. Has this been updated or something?
on 5 July 2014
I have started this as I went on a Mindfulness course at Leeds Buddhist centre for people who live in Chronic Pain just last year. These two authors, especially prof mark Williams is known across the area so well, and everywhere you go and this topic is mentioned is his the first name you hear......I have prev. read Vidylama Burch's book on the same subject but relating to Chronic Pain which was a real insight. I got this as paperback with the meditation CD as I know other family members who could if they choose find this a useful tool. I started it yesterday and am so far very pleased with my purchase, I got it Super Saver and was here in 2 days.....would recommend to lots of people for many doff. reasons, the meditations are of great use you just have to open your mind to the idea ;)
on 16 February 2017
If you suffer Anxiety or OCD then this is book is worth its weight in gold. I keep it close by through the rough times and it certainly helps bring rational thought back.
4 people found this helpful
on 28 November 2016
This is the second copy I have bought. I was so impressed with it that I wanted a copy for a friend. If you are constantly wound up, this will help a lot BUT only if YOU practise. You don't need to spend hours on end at it, and it is very clear and easy to understand. If you choose it then I hope it helps you.
on 1 April 2014
You won't be sorry if you buy this and give it a go. It helped me and my sister from day 1; once you start on the CD it helps you to think clearly, by focusing on the here and now and learning how to live in the present moment, rather than to get stuck in a web of thoughts about things in the past, or things in the future that haven't even happened. It helps you listen to what is going on and to realise when your brain is chuntering away all the time about this that and the other; it helps quieten this voice and teaches you how to free yourself of harmful negative thoughts about the past that are stopping you feeling good. I haven't explained that very well but I have got to say that it helps with something all of us experience and gives you a simple and yet madly effective way to free yourself. Give it a go, it's worth every penny.