Colour: Platinum|Change

on 29 July 2009
Brabantia bins are expensive, but the quality far surpasses anything else I've bought previously. The lid mechanism, although plastic, feels very solid and my 3-year-old hasn't broken it yet!

The inner bucket has vent holes in the bottom to allow the bag to lift out easily. This also prevents nasty smells from building up inside the bin and makes it easy to clean (my tip: as it has holes in the bottom, take the bucket outside, put a few drops of detergent in it and fill it from the garden hose).

The inside of the lid is suitably high so that rubbish doesn't touch the inside of it (unless you really overfill your bin. That said, it is also easy to clean. The "fingerproof" finish really works - no fingerprints! This is another blessing if you have small children in the house.

I would not waste any money on Brabantia's own bin bags - the lid fits in such a way as to cover up any larger, cheaper bags you might be using, so no one will ever know!

I was initially tempted by the more expensive Brabantia bin with a sensor lid but, after seeing negative reviews about the reliability, I decided to go for this more sensible option. I have so far not been disappointed.
on 20 May 2007
We bought this bin 2 weeks ago and we are quite happy with our purchase. The capacity is modest (30 litres) for a family of 4 and we fill it in 2 days, but it takes little space due to its tall design. The advantage of a 72 cm high bin, over the shorter ones, is not only the increased capacity but also the fact you can fill it without bending (or missing). We preferred the touch to the pedal opening mechanism because it stays open as long as you need (unlike the pedal models which closes as you remove the foot). The only minor fault is that the handle is intended to be on the back, whereas we prefer to keep it on the front to pull the bin out from below the kitchen table: the only difference between the front and back is a verical seem line but, being not unsightly, it does not really matter. I would recommend it, unless a larger capacity is required.
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2008
I bought one of these just under a year ago, for my birthday in January. I was a bit wary of it as it seemed rather pricey, but I have been convinced it was worth the money.

I bought it as reviews read elsewhere pointed out that if it broke, Brabantia's excellent customer serice would provide replacement parts free of charge, to ensure that it did indeed live up to its long guarantee.

Not that mine has broken, however - far from it.

11 months on, it looks as smart as when I bought it. The matt steel basically does not show marks, the 'touch' top is easy for even my toddler to use, but stays shut even when absolutely full, and keeps smells to a minimum.

A well-made, quality product, that does what it claims, whilst looking discreetly smart. Highly recommended - no faults at all I can think of.
33 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2010
I bought this bin because I wanted a tall narrow bin, all black with no stainless steel showing. The reason for this is that my previous two stainless steel bins both went rusty within a short space of time and were difficult to keep looking nice and clean. This bin is brilliant. Big enough to hold a decent amount of waste, but small enough to fit into the place I need it. The fact that it is all black means it always looks smart and clean and it is very easy to wash down without it looking streaky. They give you a free gift of 20 bin bags specially made in the right size which are also great as they are very well made and have ties on them for ease of use. At a price tag of nearly £60 my husband thought I was mad, but I think it will last for years and will always look as good as new. I recommend this bin to all!
on 30 January 2011
I purchased my 1st bin in November 2010 after getting fed up of the smells coming from my old lift off top one. This seemed like the perfect solution, keeps smells in, nice and slim, 10 year guarantee and best of all it is a Brabantia, the best know name in the market.
The lid catch first went wrong at the beginning of december so I ordered a replacement, then another one 2 weeks later and then another one 3 weeks after that! Finally I'd had enough and thought our bin must have a fault with it so I returned it for a replacement. The new one has been used for exactly a week and the same problem is starting all over again!
The catch is very tempremental, it will fasten time and time again and then for no reason at all it wont, but leave it open for 10 minutes and it will fasten again!?!?
I found today that if I readjust the catch from the back it will start closing again, I will give this one another few days but if it carries on it will be returned for a refund this time and a pedal bin purchased instead, at least you can rely on them!
A very poor quality issue on Brabantias part if you ask me, it seems to be a unioversal problem and although you can get replacement catches easy enough you shouldn't be having to replace a catch for at least a year I would say!

FOLLOW UP: I have now admitted defeat with this bin and am sending it back to Amazon for a refund. It went the same way as the other one, I wouldn't expect this from an expensive bin! Nevertheless I have replaced this bin with another Brabantia one but this time a pedal version and at half the price!
44 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2010
I have owned a Brabantia touch bin for the past five years and it has been a great product. For Christmas this year, I've bought one for my daughter as she has had all the other types of bin but has never been very happy with them. I'm sure she'll love this.
on 17 November 2008
So called "unique hinge design" broke 10 months after purchase. One does not expect it from such an expensive bin. Very disappointed.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2009
Our old cheap pedal bin broke a while back, and we have larger versions of these bins at work so I knew they were pretty rugged. This one is just the right size for our family of 4 - its full and needs emptying just before it starts smelling. The lid is excellent - keeps the smells in, and easy to clean - I even spotted my wife washing it in the sink the other day which would have been unheard of with our previous bin - that used to be my job and one I am delighted to relinquish! It looks great too - the brushed finish doesn't show finger marks which is essential with small children in the house. The Brabantia bags are also worth it if you buy in bulk - they fit perfectly as you would expect.
on 4 November 2009
Yes, this item is not cheap but I've had mine 3 years and it looks as good as new. Because it's brushed steel there are no unsightly fingerprints. When closed you can't see the bin liner like you do on some models (by the way, you don't have to use branded bin liners). It adds a bit of style to any kitchen - considering its less than glamorous function. As far as bins go, this is a winner and well worth the investment.
on 8 September 2008
I ordered 3 of these bins before I gave up - they all arrived damaged. Hats off to Amazon - they dealt with the returns without question, but it cost me a great deal of time and effort and I still don't have a kitchen bin! The product did seem great - but I intend to buy the fourth one on the highstreet to avoid the hassle.