Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 26 June 2011
I have to say that this is probably my favourite in the Fallen series to date but I must say it is completely different to the other two that have gone before it so I suspect that it will not be to everyone's taste. The whole premise of this instalment is a time trotting Luce who continuously visits her previous lives. Featuring England (hurray!!!), Egypt, France, China and the Mayan era, to name but a few, Luce visits her previous incarnations in order to uncover the truth about her relationship with Daniel and the curse they share. As such Luce is never really in one place and as a reader you are thrown... alongside Luce... into a series of different locations and eras. For me this is a real mental treat allowing your imagination to conjure so many distinct and varied locations all in the one book! Lauren Kate does a excellent job jumping from one place to the next giving just enough detail for us to immerse ourselves in the new location while never losing sight of Luce and Daniel's plight. This is a rather brave choice by Lauren Kate as it is bound to alienate some of her readers used to Luce and a close circuit of friends bumbling through some school. But for me this is a breath of fresh air. As much as I love the other two books Passion steps away from them while allowing us to connect closer to the Luce and Daniel relationship than ever before. Okay so the friends Luce has made in her journey only make small appearances but the connection we make with Luce makes it all worthwhile. I think such a change was needed to keep the interesting and original and not just a another `twilight-esque' love story. With Passion the Fallen saga has really come into its own as one of the best YA series available. At the end of this book I felt for the first time that I truly believed in the Luce-Daniel saga and was left dying to know what will happen next.... Passion will fire you up for Rapture next year!
on 8 August 2011
Review: I don't know why I keep reading these goddamned books but I do, each time expecting that maybe, just maybe I might understand what the hell is going on with the Luce/Daniel curse. Lauren Kate has clearly no idea how to slowly drop hints throughout the books so the reader (and the eternally baffled Luce) can collect clues and slowly build towards understanding the whole point of this series...blind frustration and impatience does not equal well written suspense. Also I'm starting to suspect that Lauren Kate herself hasn't even worked out the origins of the love curse but is stalling to work one out that is sufficiently mind blowing to justify a 4 book series with so little meaningful plot. If Kate had managed to cut all the pointless goings-on, the story could have been served well by 2 books. Maximum.

Summary *some spoilers*:

*Luce is sick of being bossed around and decides to head out on her own to get the answers everyone is keeping from her (reader gets faint hope that this might happen) and starts to time travel. Luce claims she wants to understand the background of the curse, but swiftly changes her mind and decides instead to find out "like you know, if Daniel REALLY loves me, like, I know he loves me and has been finding me for THOUSANDS of years, but like, is it like true love?....i'm going to go through ALL of my past lives and not learn about the curse but check that Daniel was as hot for me then as he seems to be for me now....OH MY GOD, OLD LUCINDA IS HOLDING OLD DANIEL. I'm jealous. Wow he really does love her/me. I must touch his hair. OUR LOVE IS FO REALZ!!! Or is it???"

*Enter plot fart sidekick that attempts to be witty until Lauren Kate can finally use him for the end of the book. (reader confused, who is this little dude??? And why is luce trusting him???)

*Luce starts travelling through a load of era's across the globe that readers might have a vague recollection of in primary school history classes. Cue superficial descriptions of far off lands and places only really marked as different because Luce is all "but I can't speak Italian/Russian/French/insert language....oh but wait I can!!....I've been here before....in a past life..." (Reader hits head with book exclaiming NO *%$# Sherlock, we get the reincarnation thing!!!) Luce then reaffirms different time/place by putting on a new outfit "oh but these clothes are so strange, it almost like they're from a different time, oh there's old pre incarnation me, I want to touch me, golly I'm so soft and pretty."

*Luce continues falling through black holes and numerous costume changes and tries each time to look at or touch herself and Daniel.

* Daniel broods and blah blah blah "why destiny, why curse???" he exclaims. Cue Cam cameo "you should pick a side. You know what this curse means". Daniel: "oh curse this curse, woe is me, I hate this curse, brood brood" (Reader: WHAT IS THE CURSE????)

*Luce sees old Daniel about a billion times and every time wants to run her hands through his goddamned highlights, cue all the same ole adjectives describing his eyes and hair

*One not very surprising plot `twist' occurs, but it doesn't really explain anything at all.

Anyhoo, this stands out as my least favourite of this awful series because the repetition is just so blatant in every single chapter, all of the time travel is exactly the same event except Luce and Daniel are wearing markedly different clothes...which is, you know, a total shocker for TIME TRAVEL. Each and every arrival to a new time/place heralds a first sighting of old Daniel and each and every time Luce goes on and on about how she must go to him, touch his hair and love him. And she travels to a lot of places. And all you want to do is scream "if you don't care about the origins of the curse, and all you want to do is touch Daniels feathery appendages, current Daniel is looking for you, you simpering pointless moron, just stay put for a minute, stop acting like time travel is an elaborate fashion show and he'll come and get you!! AAAGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Phew.
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2011
I am sorry to say that I found this book a big let down. I really liked Fallen & Torment so I was excited about this book, but it did not live up to expectations, if I am being completely honest I found three quarters of the book really boring, and I was looking forward to it ending.

The idea is a great one, re-visiting Luce and Daniel's past, getting to see all the times they loved and lost each other, but in reality it was really repetitive and boring. I knew we were going to get a big revel connected to the curse at the end, and that part was good, I also enjoyed finding out more about Cam's background (I think Cam is the best character in the whole series), but the rest of the book felt like filler to me.

I hope the final book in the series will be back on form.
on 7 April 2012
Looking for a quick holiday read, I picked up all three of the Fallen books. I knew that they would hardly be literary masterpieces but was looking forward to an easy enjoyable read. Needless to say, I got through 'Fallen' in half a day and 'Torment' in the next. As other reviewers have pointed out, there are some gaping holes in the plot line and not much actually happens. It got very tiresome hearing how great and perfect both Daniel and Luce are, and it bothered me how, even though they have this 'soul mate' thing going on, there was absolutely no progression from meeting each other and falling in love. All very well and romantic, but not one I doubt ANY reader could relate to. The only actual relationship progression was with Miles.

I moved onto reading 'Passion', not really expecting much to be honest with you. Wow. I cannot believe her publishers allowed this. The premise is a good one, as it has been throughout the other two books: Luce will burst into a fiery inferno if she comes too close to the truth and Daniel will wait for her next reincarnation, they fall in love again, and the cycle continues. Brilliant. Even the writing isn't too bad, what you would expect from a teen romance book with a distinctly twilight feel. But plot? THERE WAS NO PLOT. Luce goes back through the announcers to revisit her past lives. Each chapter is another one of those lives. This is how every chapter in the book goes, bar a few from Daniel's point of view:
- Luce arrives through announcer. Lots of description of scenery. Luce finds out where she is.
- Luce sees her past self and Daniel. She feels jealous.
- Luce comes closer to seeing the 'truth' (although its never really properly explained what she's looking for apart from 'wanting to understand their love better')
- Luce dies, steps through another announcer and onto the next boring chapter.

It would help if we knew what Luce was really searching for. She says she wants to understand. Her big revelation comes when she works out that Daniel must suffer the same as her, when she bursts into flames. To put it rather uneloquently, 'duh', yes. The only interesting past version of Luce is the one from England who is rather mean. Otherwise, they are all brave, strong, beautiful, petite etc etc boring, boring. Lauren Kate couldn't have included one Luce who was, I don't know, maimed, ugly? Something?

Perhaps the biggest problem with the book, one which I found myself getting continually angry with, was this 'love' between the two. They keep getting drawn to one another. Luce keeps getting lost in him. Every time she sees him she completely forgets what she is doing. Case in point: a gargoyle transforms into a look-a-like Daniel is a black cave. Luce forgets everything and runs to kiss him. I mean seriously?

I kept going with the book, waiting for some big revelation at the end. I'm still waiting after I closed the book half an hour ago. NOTHING HAPPENS. Apart from Luce finding the present day Daniel, then talking about how much they love each other. Them kissing. Then kissing some more. Oh and then they get to a cabin where they meet with the other angels and have hot chocolate and hot dogs. I think i'll skip the next book in the series thanks.
on 27 August 2011
This is part 3 of the Fallen series. Part 2 left me wondering how much longer this whole story could be milked for. This novel proved that it should have been wrapped up in the previous two books. In this part, Lauren Kate takes us through Lucy's past. Same thing repeated over and over again across different countries, different years in history. I am only thankful, she didn't make us visit every single country in the world in order to prove that Daniel really is devoted to Lucy! Changing their names to what she sees as their native equivalents in her country of choice doesn't make the story more exciting. For example, at some point in the novel, Lucy finds herself in China where she will be called Lu Xin and Daniel will be De!!! Can this get any more cheesy or ridiculous? Yes, it can and you won't believe it but this whole book will take you to different countries in different periods of history literally repeating the same thing over and over, and over again - Daniel meets Lucy, Lucy falls in love with him, Daniel kisses Lucy, Lucy self-combusts, Daniel is tormented... blah, blah, blah... This truly makes the reader wonder just how Daniel defines love in order to keep doing it to the person he supposedly loves!

Lucy is determined to break their curse in order to allow herself to love and stay with Daniel forever. Trust me, this book really will make you hope that she does it sooner rather than later! If you read what happened to her in her first past life and then skip to the end of the book, you wouldn't have missed a great deal. In addition to the constant repetition of practically the same thing, the storyline often gets confusing as the author's sentences get longer, and she uses the same names for the character of the past and present or refers to them as he or she. Really poor examples of story telling but I would forgive her if only she didn't drag it out so much!

In the end, when the main characters finally get together, you almost think, "thank God for that" only to realise that the author has opened herself a window for the 4th book called Rapture to be published in 2012! I have no idea what on Earth she is planning to write about and how she intends to stretch it across another 400-500 pages but I can tell you that she knows all about it milking it while the going is good!
on 26 June 2011
After waiting sooooooooooooooooo long for this book, after re-reading again & again the first two you can imagine my delight when I finally got to read Passion.
NOT SO ! I knew after the first chapter it was just written to prolong the series. It did not hold my attention, I found it boring. With the first two my heart skipped a beat, it fluttered & every page was enthrawling.
I am very dissapointed & only carried on reading it incase I missed any of the plot. You only have to read the last few pages to continue on to the next book.
I am so sorry & also angry that the book did not deliver, I hope the next one will be better as it is the last in the series.
This book does not cover what the first two started.
on 31 January 2014
Started reading this series of books as my young adult daughters had read them and said they were good. I'm 45 years old so thought "why not? Started reading them and the first book I found a bit slow to start with (but with any teenage themed books) it explained all the characters and relationships) once past that I started to look forward to what was going to happen next........ Havn been able to put them down. Brilliant Charactors, good Enjoyable storyline. Love it, am just starting the 4th book but don't want to read it so fast as I know the end will be here before you know it and don't want to finish an excellent story
on 22 December 2013
After Luce jumped through the announcer at the end of book 2, she jumps to her past lives to understand the love she and Daniel have. All the while Daniel is chasing Luce and is just missing her by a few minutes and on 1 occasion by a month.
In the prologue it is in the right time (2009) and Sophia, 2 of the 24 elders and a couple of outcasts are at the races waiting for instructions. Weather or not it was a secret, I guessed who it was right from the beginning so it didn't come as a surprise when it was revealed.
While Luce is jumping through time she comes across Bill. A guide to help Luce in her quest. Again I guessed who it was and made the connection. When it was revealed I wasn't shocked.
The whole book was seeing Luce at different times, meeting Daniel falling in love and then die. After a few chapters it did get kind of old but what made the difference was Luce learned something different in each lifetime which was the point. But as the reader I was way ahead of Luce and I had to wait for Luce to catch up.
I will try and not give away spoilers but, at the end of the book 2009 Daniel and 2009 Luce caught up with each other and went back to there own time.
Information was revealed to Luce that will happen in the very near future but will take place in the past so all of Luce and Daniel's past lives will cease to exist and all her during will be for nothing so all the fallen angels, no matter what side they are on need to put aside there differences to stop that from happening.
There are still unanswered questions, we still don't know why Luce is important other then Daniel and Luce are cursed because of there love, because Daniel had chosen love over God and Satan.
Lauren Kate wrote this book so very well. Because of the history of Luce past lives the accounts and the descriptions made for very good reading. Kate didn't make me feel like I was reading a history book, she kept the descriptions very real, very imaginative and creative. Because Luce was going back in history the creative way Kate had to come up with different ways to make clothes for Luce for each lifetime made good reading.
This book had to happen because in the 2 book I was getting
frustrated with Daniel telling Luce what to do, but by the end of Passion I understand more and more importantly so did Luce.
This is by far the better book in the series so far. I can't wait to read the last book now. It's worth reading the first 2 books, to get to the third book it's worth reading and very recommend you won't be disappointed.
on 7 September 2013
Ok, firstly I'm really too old to be reading books like this and I'm sure any young person would give this full marks. I actually read this originally in Mexico last year, as someone had left the book in the hotel. I'd read Fallen but not Torment yet, so got this on my Kindle so I could read the whole series in the correct order (as opposed to 1, 3, 4, 2!) so it can't be too bad that I bought it after reading it already! I'm not into chick flicks (even though I am a girl) but I do enjoy a love story with a supernatural twist! If you love the Twilight series, I'm sure you'll love this series. There may be plenty of lovey-dovey stuff and hot kissing but it also doesn't mind being a little creepy and a bit sad at times. I can't imagine anything would particularly give young teens nightmares though. If you have read any of the others (and enjoyed them) you have to read this one, I think it's some kind of law. Less confusing when you read them all in order too.
on 19 September 2012
So book 2 was brilliant loved it and became addicted to the characters and the story, immedietley downloaded this full of excitment, now i have a kindle so i can tell you that i skim read 60% of this book. It dragged, it went on, there was the constant explaining what a room looked like and how the light shone from a specific angle. The end is good and i will be reading book 4 because now i am stuck with wanting to know how it ends. Personally i think this book could have been shortend into half a book and i expect i will say the same about book 4 too, i would have been much more impressed if she'd got to the point about half way through as this went on forever i almost felt like i was living the 5000 years with the angels