on 22 March 2014
It seems somehow irreverant to dislike a classic that’s so, well, classic, as Tom Sawyer. In fact I only disliked the first half. When Tom and his friends really embark on their adventures, it becomes a great story.

It could be partly cultural. English kids don’t do many American classics at school, well, we certainly didn’t, and although I can relate to 1830s life through other tales,films and programmes, it doesn’t mean I enjoy them. I didn’t feel that Tom’s school adventures were told as well as say, in The Ninja LIbrarian. It was difficult to understand the voices of the characters, the idioms and accents. Maybe because of that, I found it hard to distinguish between the young people. Long passages of dialogue between Tom and Huckleberry Finn, for example, became just dialogue to me with no clear understanding of who was talking.

This changed when Tom went on his adventures. The power of the writing drew you into the scene, the hardships, the danger, imagined or not. Some of Tom’s antics are cringeworthy but eventually he and his friends become embroiled in serious danger, however lightly they started out.

So, do I think The Adventures of Tom Sawyer worthy of its accolades, worthy of being classed as one of the greatest classics? Yes and no. Written in 1876, it is a powerful and evocative telling of an era some thirty or forty years earlier. As a picture of a medium sized town and its characters, as an adventure story, it works and works well. By the time I’d finished it, I was enjoying it. It took me a while, though.

I’m glad I’ve read it, but I don’t think I’d read another.
on 9 March 2012
This was a book I wanted to read as a boy, but my parents couldn't afford to buy books.
Now a pensioner and a proud Kindle owner, I have now read it and thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 25 September 2015
Classic book which I enjoyed as a child and now I get to enjoy reading it to my daughter as a bedtime story. Thrilled that classics like these have had a modern update and are available on Kindle devices.

I have always enjoyed getting caught up in all of the scrapes which Tom gets himself into, and then out of, and always wishing that I had the chance to go back to my youth and enjoy it all over again.

All time classic, five stars without a doubt.
on 3 April 2016
I wanted to read this as its a classic. I was a bit disappointed in the overall story, and some parts were better than others, but still a good read and I'm glad I've read it. Story wandered on ocassions and spent too long on other sections but overall OK.
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2013
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known as Mark Twain, was born on November 30, 1835. He is best known for "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer - albeit under the name St Petersburg.

"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" was first published in 1876, but is set in the 1840s. Tom's two best friends are Joe Harper and Huck Finn. Joe is a similar character to Tom, a leader of men in the school's playground. Huck, on the other hand, is viewed with dread by the town's mothers. (Naturally, he's a likeable character with a good heart, and is adored by all the schoolchildren). He is the son of the town drunk and has to look out for himself : he sleeps wherever he can find shelter, doesn't go to school or church, is a world-class-swearer. The golden-haired Becky Thatcher, though, is someone is desperate to impress : the new girl in town, Tom is head over heels with Becky from the second he sees her.

Tom and his younger half-brother Sid live with his Aunt Polly, his dead mother's sister. The two boys are very different. Tom is an imaginative boy who isn't keen on school and is always getting up to some sort of mischief - although there isn't anything malicious in his makeup. Sid, meanwhile, is quiet, well-behaved and loves to see Tom get into trouble. Chores and the inevitable punishments are constantly getting in the way of Tom's schemes - and, as the book goes on, both Tom and Huck become more afraid of the dreaded Injun Joe.

A quick and easy read, one that brought back a lot of memories. (All the superstitions and the solemn oaths, how you were always so unfairly treated as a kid - and the world would always be a better place if you could only run away). Absolutely recommended.
on 2 February 2013
One of the greatest children's books of all times by Mark Twain. It is usually a must-read in schools and teenagers enjoy it due to its sweet romantic narrative, down-to-earth dialogues and lovely descriptions of times already gone, but dearly cherished by us even nowadays in our fast-paced modern and technological societies.
on 13 May 2015
I suppose the nearest English equivalent would be Just William, but this being American, it is on a larger scale and stage. Tales of one small boy and his gang against the world of adults, a world of adventure we may all wish we had lived but probably never existed outside our imaginations. A fun read for children of any age and a reminder to adults that youth should be enjoyed.
on 4 September 2013
Although an old book it was a very enjoyable read with many of the adventures being ones which children would not be able to partake in now - such as digging for buried treasure in haunted houses, and playing pirates on the Mississippi River and getting lost within cave groups. The use of charms and incantations to prevent things such as warts made me laugh quite a lot as well as other superstitions such as Tom not being able to swim due to him losing his rattle snake bracelet from his ankle.

It's quite politically incorrect at times, but you need to think about the time it was written, the fact it is set in the US south and take it all with a pinch of salt (if you're easily offended, and don't like the use of certain words I probably wouldn't read it). I had to read some of the characters such as the servant Jims parts out loud and I couldn't convert his accent in my mind, highlighting the illiteracy of the character. I really liked the sense of freedom it instilled and made me wish I could be a child again.
on 22 August 2013
Hahaha! This was my very first introduction to the world of Mark Twain and what a wonderful and marvellous introduction it is!
The book is a beautiful rendering of a very mischievous, precocious and clever little boy who, like a little boys, have a great love for adventure, fun and mischief. The things he gets up to, the way he thinks things through and the way he acts on his thoughts is absolutely hilarious and so very endearing at times.
In this day and age where children are now swamped with the latest electronic gadget (iPhone, iPad, xBox, Wii, etc), they have really forgotten what it is like to experience the simple joys of life where even a chipped marble or an apple core is considered big currency. In this book, children run about, invent games and plots, mimic their heroes and villains in acts of make-believe and get up to the most incredible scrapes and emerge stronger and smarter for it. Modern children are missing out!
Anyway, Mark Twain writes this book in an easy, affable and eminently readable way so please don't be intimidated by the fact that it is a classic ( and 'hence the writing must be heavy and old'). It is a great, easy and fun read, and one which I love going back to again and again, even if it just to vicariously live out my childhood days in that innocent, sweet and naive way again.
on 7 January 2013
Item arrived immediately and was as described.
This was a free electronic book so you can't go wrong.
Thought I'd try another free classic.
Slogged through it rather than glided. Bit dated in language for me- didn't seem real-but for nothing worth a try.