on 23 June 2017
One reviewer said "dull and uninspiring" - I think they over-rate it.
The writer seems to me to be dispassionate to the point of coldness, sometimes gratuitously grisly and often tedious.
I did not get any sense of what kind of person Father Brown is - dithery but brilliant, I get (forerunner of Columbo?) but other than that? I cannot envisage him as a priest, let alone one who works especially with the poor (as the book says.) He spends all his time with leisured people and joining a secret society which meets in an exclusive hotel (how can he afford that?)
I think perhaps this is a book from an age when patriarchy was acceptable, feeling superior to everyone else was in vogue and stiff upper lip was highly valued. Somehow seems more out of line with the modern world than Shakespeare, Austen, Dickens and Doyle.
on 20 February 2013
"The Innocence of Father Brown" was certainly a book I was waiting to read with anticipation; I have recently become interested in reading novels that illustrate the beginnings of crime fiction as we know it today.

And whilst part of my anticipation was merited due to the inventive and ingenious premises that Chesterton employs, I found that the quality of prose was somewhat lacking. It felt as though it were rambling in places and the genius of Father Brown was lost amidst tiresome descriptions of scenes or characters.

Flambeau and Father Brown were both incredibly interesting protagonists with a considerable amount of depth to their personalities; I only wish that Chesterton had not hid neither his characters nor his considerably inventive and clever storylines in plodding prose.

I would recommend this for a read if you are interested in early crime fiction but I probably won't choose to read any more of Chesterton's work.
on 26 June 2017
Terrific group of tales featuring father brown and his sometime adversary, sometime ally, Flambeau. Really ejoyed these stories, don't recall seeing any of them before - well, may be one. If you like father Brown it's a must read, if you don't, give it a try, short stories so you can get a taste either way
on 25 March 2017
Book delivered to device ok.
on 27 July 2017
Printed by Amazon in very small font and right to edges of page. None of the usual blurb at either end. Looks like an attempt at amateur self-publishing. Not at all appealing.
review image
on 2 August 2012
It must be at least 27 years ago I first stumbled across these stories . They're a nice counterpoint to Doyle's Sherlock Holmes as Father Brown uses a much more "humanistic" ,intuitive touch rather than Holmes' fiercely intellectual,deductive method .
I do recommend bying amazon's Complete Father Brown though . Great value for money at less than a quid and excellently formatted .
on 14 February 2014
I love how the diminutive Father Brown just stands back and waits for the opportune moment to strike. A different type of sleuth.
on 8 April 2017
Uninspirung and a bit dull
on 27 August 2017
excellent read
on 22 January 2013
If you want an old fashioned, gentle sort of murder story - this is ideal - nothing gruesome just interesting.