on 20 August 2014
Felt I had to write this to help others.

When I first got this I raved about it. Space age toothbrush! Lovely sleek design, charges in its glass cup, or via its travel case usb whilst closed, and really really clean teeth. Was awesome. Even if it's a £250 tooth brush (but seems to be permanently half price)

Unfortunately it then stops working.

After about 11 months it seemed to vibrate a little less vigorously. I ignored it and carried on but it got worse and worse. It feels like some seals or rubber inside has worn down, so it ends up not really cleaning your teeth.

After about 13 months it was useless. I contacted amazon who just pointed me at the seller. The seller just stated 12 months warranty and told me to go away.

I asked amazon again, stating sale of goods act (£250 toothbrush should work for more than a year). Again no help. I've previously had very good customer care from amazon when buying goods where they are the seller, but I will now be very wary of buying on amazon from another merchant.

So overall a massive disappointment. Real shame as it's a beautiful toothbrush that functions brilliantly. Unfortunately seems to have a design flaw which means it ceases to operate after approx a year.

So if yours starts getting less effective contact the vendor straight way. Hope this is useful for some.
1515 comments| 268 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 November 2012
I couldn't believe the price of this toothbrush when I went to high street shops, not even being able to find it at the major stockists who sell Philips Sonicare toothbrush products. I was really delighted to be able to find this product on Amazon UK and for having a cheaper cost price than the current "top of the line" Philips rechargeable toothbrushes without the Sonic technology.

I have been a fan of Sonic brushes since 2000. My first Sonic brush was by Philips and then replaced by the rather excellent Braun Sonic Complete. Over the years though the Braun has started to get weaker with its battery and the Sonicare HX9332/04 by Philips seemed like the ideal replacement. There are tons of things about this brush product that really appeal to me, not least the funky actual glass tumbler where the toothbrush can be left in it to charge - provided you slot in the plug charger base underneath it. However, as a freelance musician and researcher, the material clad "reading glasses" travel case is more appropriate to me where charging is concerned as there's a permanently built in 2.0 USB cord already sealed into the unit which makes it easy to charge off any PC or MAC, or even if you have a USB battery charger plug for an iPod! I much prefer Philips decision here to fit the older style 2.0 USB cord as it makes it easier if you have an old work laptop with you on business trips and the case itself is well made and able to withstand general abuse.

When it comes to general use, this is a very classy toothbrush. Decked out in a smooth ceramic finish and five cleaning modes ("Clean," "White," "Polish," "Gum Care," and "Sensitive."), I find the Sonicare HX9332 to do what it largely says on the box. You get a smaller clean head and a standard larger toothbrush head with the travel case, each having lift off protective caps. At the time of waiting for my Philips Sonicare to arrive, I ordered a basic set of three standard Sonicare toothbrush heads from Argos and was delighted to find that they fit the Sonicare HX9332/04 Diamond Clean, even if it fails to say so on the box. However, when it comes to actual performance, I find there's a big difference between the replacement heads and the ones suitable for Diamond Clean.

The highest "clean" speed can be a bit too abrasive if you are not used to it, but this is a very powerful brush able to select just one of the speeds by pressing on the main button once to go down the list, highlighted by the lights of the words that appear easily when activated. A built in timer and quad cycle tells me when it is time to change the angle of the brush and compared to my Braun Sonic Complete brush head, the Philips Diamond Clean is a lot smaller and far more nimble to reach into the farthest corners of my mouth. A claim on the box that the brush can give whiter teeth in two weeks however was the biggest claim that has actually turned out to work - provided you go by the daily twice a day routine! A battery indicator in green also shows up whenever the brush is used and goes orange when it is time to charge up. Generally although it requires 6 to 10 hours for its initial charge out of the box, the Sonicare Diamond Clean only requires 4 to 8 hours thereafter for the claimed 2 week usage. I have only had the toothbrush for the month (but will update as time goes on) and found the initial charge has been sufficient without more charging - that's impressive!

However there are few downsides. Although the unit has a 1/2 minute timer built in, my Diamond Clean tends to stop before two minutes are up, or perhaps I'm going over the two minutes without really noticing, thus requiring to start up the brush again. However, compared to the Braun Sonic Complete's brush, toothpaste leakage is not much of an issue on account that the brush heads are thinner by diameter with longer, softer bristles. The bristles are also slightly longer than the standard green replacements you can buy, marked also by the white bristles and show an indication of when they need to be replaced. General things like pieces of nuts that get wedged deep into my bottom front set of teeth get whipped away by the Philips, cleanly compared to the Braun Sonic and logically best to keep your mouth closed as much as you can when using any Sonic brushes as the vibrations are far higher than a moveable brush head without the Sonic technology built in.

Generally I'm really pleased with the Philips Diamond Clean Sonic brush. Fast, quick to function and completely waterproof, the Sonic toothbrush is comfortable and not too noisy as well as being fairly light to handle and compact enough to boot. The only other downside is that the ceramic body is a bit too slippy to hold, even if it does look classy. Phillips could therefore add a bit more grippyness to the design to ensure that if it does fall out of your hands, the ceramic condition isn't marked. Thanks for reading. (c)NR2 2012.
review image review image
1212 comments| 271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 October 2014
This toothbrush was great for 9 months, with a real effect on the quality of dental hygiene, then it brushed moderately well for 4 weeks and now it is useless, not brushing with the same vigour and switching itself off after a few seconds despite the battery being charged. I would not buy this again.
22 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2015
I called Philips as I was confused between ordering the 'new' Diamond Clean HX9331/04 and the older Diamond Clean HX9332/04. I was confused because normally a newer version has a 'higher' model number and it is not a higher number.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it's the 933 number that's important: This means that the products themselves are the same. However, the 2 on the end of the 933 means that there are 2 brush heads included in the pack, and the 1 means there is 1 brush head included in the pack.

So, these products are essentially the same except you're paying more for the 'new version' HX9331/04 (it is not the new version Amazon!) for 1 brush head to be included.

You are better off buying the HX9332/04 as it's exactly the same brush, it costs less and you get 2 brush heads!

I haven't yet used the product, will add some more information once I have reviewed the product itself.
on 15 October 2014
Rechargable Battery fails after 2 years of use.
This is and was my last ever Philips Sonicare toothbrush.
The unit is only good as long as the warranty is valid. Have had 3 sonicare's and they all failed within months of the 2 warranty expiring (making this the most expensive toothbrush on the market). The issue is the non-replacable rechargable battery. I have contacted Philips and they don't care. They won't even consider making one with a repaceble battery. They also refer you to the retailer and the retailer says it's out of warranty. You can contact a service centre to have it repaired for upwards of 50.00 + courier fees to solder a new battery (for 10.00 on ebay).
As a toothbrush, it's great but as a product, it's a waste of money.
on 5 January 2015
Overall, I am very impressed with this product and have already recommended it to my friends and family. It's finished to a very high standard, and the inductive charging is far more useful than I first imagined.

Pros:
- Great finish and feel in the hand
- The best charging options on the market
- Useful, robust carrying/charging case
- 2 year warranty

Cons:
- 3-pin to 2 pin adaptor not included
- No way to identify heads for multiple users
- Costly

In the box, you get the toothbrush, a large and small head, a carry case, a usb cable, a 2 pin shaving plug to USB adaptor, a glass and a charging base. There are a couple of instruction booklets and a warranty information card. Registering the product is quick and easy; you simply register an account on the phillips website and submit a proof of purchase (print out your Amazon order summary as a PDF file and attach).

The charging options that come with the toothbrush are second to none, and are for me the best part about this brush compared to others. It is not as clear on the photo, but the glass actually sits atop a metal plate which needs to be plugged into a two pin shaving socket. It is so much easier to simply pop the brush back into the glass after use and forget about it; charging my other toothbrushes has always been annoying as the charge bases are fiddly, and get knocked over easily. The carrying case also doubles up as a charger, and sports a micro-usb port on its end. It's very sturdy and I've managed to carry around my toothbrush whilst travelling with ease. The micro usb allows you to charge it from your computer/laptop, or a 3-pin plug to usb adapter (eg. iPhone charger) which is massively convenient when on the move.

If you don't have a two pin plug in your bathroom, you'll have to buy a separate adaptor. I find it an odd decision to include a 2-pin to USB adaptor, and really this is my only criticism of the product. A 3 pin to two pin adaptor would have been a far more useful inclusion, as I'd assume if you had a 2 pin plug you'd rather use the glass instead. Even a 3 pin to USB adaptor would be a more logical choice. I really can't imagine ever being in a situation where the included adaptor would be useful, and for the price Phillips recommend, I'd have expected better.

The brush handle is weighty, but feels comfortable in the hand and is a rounded rectangular shape that makes it easy to hold on to. When turned off, all you see is the logo and power button which makes it look a lot nicer than other electric toothbrushes I've used. As you pull it out of the charging glass/case, the body lights up to show the different modes in a subtle white glow. The modes are fairly self-explanatory, and are variations on intensity and length of brush time. The basic clean mode is two minutes long, split into four 30 second sections. The brush makes a high pitched buzz to let you know it's time to move on. I mostly use the whitening mode which pulses a little differently to the clean function and has an extra 30 seconds to polish your front teeth.

The heads are also finished to a high standard, and include indicator bristles that slowly fade in colour and let you know it's time to change the head. They come in at £5 each, but last a decent time. There's no native way to identify multiple heads of the same type like other brands, but if you rent out your brush you can always attach small coloured bands (eg. loom bands) or mark it with a permanent coloured marker. There are also black and pink heads available for the other handle colours which could be an option.

Whilst this is an expensive option, it is in my opinion the best electric toothbrush on the market, and if you have a 2-pin plug in your bathroom I guarantee the charging options will make your morning and evening routines a little less annoying.
on 25 April 2013
Prior to purchasing the Philips Diamond Clean, I had a cheaper Sonicare toothbrush. I have had this for 5-6 years and it was still working, it was just the battery was only lasting a couple of days before needing recharged. So I looked around for another Phillips toothbrush and saw the Diamond Clean.

First off, the design is absolutely stunning, its made of a frosted white plastic and feels really well made.

The cleaning performance of the Diamond Clean comes from the brush head which moves at 31000 strokes per minute. This intense vibration/stroke feature cleans the teeth very thoroughly.

The Diamond Clean has 5 cleaning modes which are:

Clean= Philips say that this is the ultimate in plaque removal. I tend to only use this setting, and after using this setting the teeth feel really clean. It will be interesting to see if my dentist needs to perform less cleaning on my next visit. The clean setting runs for 2 minutes in total, which is 30 seconds for the outer side of the bottom teeth, 30 seconds for the inner, and 30 seconds for the outer side of the top teeth, and 30 seconds for inner, which adds up to 2 minutes. What I did find was that you need to start the toothbrush off again (after the 2 minute cycle) to clean the biting surfaces of the teeth, which then means that the battery life will be lower than expected (I'll mention this later on in my review).

White= This is a whitening mode of 2 minutes in duration to remove surface stains, plus an additional 30 seconds to brighten and polish your front teeth.

Polish= Quick 1-minute mode to brighten and polish your front teeth.

Gum care= Complete mode combines Clean mode with an additional minute to gently stimulate and massage your gums to improve gum health.

Sensitive= Extra gentle mode for sensitive teeth and gums.

The Philips Diamond Clean has a feature called Quadpacer. Basically this feature makes the toothbrush pause slightly and beep, this is to remind you to move on to the next section of your mouth/teeth, for example, if you were brushing your bottom row of teeth, the beep and the pause would be to remind you to move onto either the inner or outer parts of the teeth.

The Philips Diamond Clean comes with a couple of different options for charging.

The first one is a very stylish charging glass, which you place on a little charging base, and you then plug the charging base into the wall socket, you simple then just drop the Philips Diamond Clean into the glass and it starts charging. Charging of the Philips Diamond Clean is indicated by a flashing green light on the toothbrush, after its fully charged the green light goes off. When the Philips Diamond Clean needs charged you get a flashing orange/yellow light which indicates fewer than 3 uses left.

The other charging option is by the charging travel case. The charging travel case can be either plugged into a USB port on a laptop or home computer to charge the toothbrush or it can be connected to a wall socket by way of the supplied USB wall adapter, you then just lay the Philips Diamond Clean into the travel case and charging commences.

I cannot say for definite how long the charging takes as I put the toothbrush on charge overnight and its always fully charged in the morning, and also there's no mention in the user guide for the charging time also.

Now Philips quote for the Diamond Clean that it "has been designed to last up to 3 weeks on a single charge", I find this to be over estimated, now whether this was because my toothbrush was new and perhaps the rechargeable battery wasn't up to its full capacity until its had a few more charges, then I suppose only time will tell, if this is the case I'll edit my review again. I found that I got 8 days before the low battery light appeared. The trouble with the quoted times before a recharge are that its based on 2 minutes of brushing. What Philips don't mention is that, once you have finished brushing the outer side of the bottom teeth, the inner side of the bottom teeth, the outer side of the top teeth, and the inner side of the top teeth (which adds up to 2 minutes) you then have the biting surfaces of the lower and upper rows of teeth, so brushing these adds up to a further minute, so 3 minutes of brushing in total is going to give you less than 3 weeks of usage between charges, I must admit that I thought 8 days was a bit on the short side even with 3 minutes worth of brushing.

Not sure how long the toothbrush heads last but a pack of 4 can be had for £26.50 off of Amazon.

All in all I am really happy with the Philips Diamond Clean, it leaves my teeth feeling really clean and with a variety of other cleaning options its sure to provide pretty much everyone with the cleaning options they require.

One negative I have found is the rather over estimated 3 week battery life that Philips have quoted, maybe this will improve over a few more charges (as some rechargeable batteries do) but only time will tell and if this is the case I'll edit/adjust my review accordingly.

UPDATE:

I've since been in touch with Amazon (who provided fantastic service) because the battery life was getting shorter and shorter with every charge (the last full charge only lasted 5 days, so this is a long way short of 3 weeks). I've since sent the faulty toothbrush back and placed another order for the same toothbrush which I'm awaiting on been delivered tomorrow 4 May. Once I've had a few weeks to try the new one out, I'll update this review and if appropriate alter my rating and parts of the review too.

Update No 2:

I have since received the replacement toothbrush, but the battery life is no different, the low battery light came on after just 5 days of use. However, what I have found is that the low battery light comes on far too early.
From my testing, I was able to get an extra 6 days out of the toothbrush from when the low battery light first came on, until the battery was totally flat. So the total battery life I had in my testing was 12 days, quite a way off 3 weeks use (as Philips quote).
on 27 December 2015
If you have never used one of these brushes they are great. I decided to write this review after having it for a while to give an educated review.

This version is improved over the last now that Nimh batteries are no longer allowed. This has LiOn batteries, so there is no battery memory effect to reduce your charge capacity. I've had two of the older versions and both suffered with that to the point where you had to throw them away. This one lasts 18-21 days on a full charge which is great for when I travel as I do frequently.

A nice feature of this bundle is that on top of the charging glass you also get a USB hard travel case. It's a hard travel case to protect your brush and it has a built in charger that you can plug into most phone chargers or even your laptop. Or in my case when I travel, the international wall adapter that has a USB on the side. It also comes with a shaver socket - USB adapter but as yet I've not used that.

Whilst on chargers it's worth mentioning cable length. The plugs are designed to fit into shaver type sockets and as such the manufacturers keep cable lengths fairly short to avoid the ability of dropping the unit into the sink. Don't get me wrong it's a fully sealed unit so no risk per-say however regulations stipulate that you can't be able to plug it in and put the other end in the sink. I mention this as you might need a shelf near your shaver socket or balance the unit on top of the mirror light that has the socket built in as I do.

Now for brushing...

When you first use this type of brush it will tinkle and feels initially odd but you do get used to it.

Brushing is best as per the instructions. Don't brush but guide and the device will do the rest.

My dentist has commented on my last three or four annual check ups that my cleaning is really good and this year even refrained from the usual let's clean everything to see what we can loosen up (my impression of dentists from my younger years experience).

The downside of this type of brush is the feeling of pocket rape when you buy new brush heads. I tend to get packs of 3 when on special offer and buy one or two packs. Each head will last about 3 months depending on how much pressure you apply. I've had one last over 6 months.

So all in all a superb brush even if it is expensive - remember your worth it, treat yourself 😄
on 25 November 2014
Having read the reviews about this toothbrush, it occurred to me that my two year old product wasn't working as well as the more recent one I bought my husband. So on the off chance I wrote to Philips customer care explaining that I loved the product but that my brush handle wasn't vibrating as well as it once did. Even with no proof of purchase, just the serial number, they sent me a return post label and have just sent me out a brand new handle.
I just cant speak highly enough about the customer service, and honestly, its the best electric toothbrush out there. It leaves your teeth feeling like you just left the dentist.
on 16 October 2013
Initially was very pleased. Bought in Jan 2012 but the toothbrush no longer recharges. I would have thought a product as expensive as this should last longer than 20 months. Maybe its me...but if I'm paying that kind of money I expect the product to last longer. Just warning people.