Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£12.99+ £1.26 shipping

VINE VOICEon 15 February 2017
I feel comparisons with Solid Air or Bless the Weather miss the point. Here we have a creative artist approaching his demise making music with pulse, imagination and beauty.

His expression is sometimes breathtaking, and some of the instrumental touches are delicious. There is edge, verve, but never resignation. An outstanding record.
on 5 June 2011
This album,is a fantastic final effort,from John,when you consider he was nearing the end of an illustrious career.He still had the musical accumen and respect,to employ Phil Collins,and a whole host of great session musicians,particularly Martin Winning,whose sax playing,is a joy to behold,breath and reed,clearly audible on Heaven and Earth...love it mate!!!
The recording,is a lovely mix of Jazz,Blues,and Funk,as only John,knew how to cook up,and comparisons,to "And",from 1996,are definitly there,for all to hear.
What a winner,from the great man..!!!
on 21 January 2014
Look. I was introduced into the JM world in the early 80s, saw the man in many gigs and bought all his albums over the years. I thought the 'Johnny Boy Would Love This' tribute album (a tad lame) was his last, however have just discovered this one. Unlike a few of his latter albums (Cooltide - great music, shameful production) Heaven and Earth is an utter barn-stormer. Immaculate production from folk who obviously cared about the man with wonderful tunes and earthy JM vocals. A truly wonderful way to bow out.

Cheers big man. You're sorely missed.
on 7 June 2012
Having been a fan for many years and knowing he tried to go too commercial at one time I didn't know what to expect. From the first listening, though, I love it. John's voice growls the emotion of the words and the wholeness of the songs (no fading out) makes the music real. You can feel his presence with you. Quirky intros and outros add to the realness of the occasion. Well done and thanks to the producers who have brought it all together. A poignant final tribute to a great musician.
on 18 May 2017
Great stuff from the much missed John Martyn. Pity he left us so soon!
on 22 May 2011
I'm a long term JM fan, discovering him at 18 and listening to his work for the 26 years which have passed since. I was surprised he lasted as long as he did, but its still a huge loss that he is no longer with us. And great news...this last album is a cracker. I'm sitting listening to it online, tapping my foot, loving every moment, and filling up with tears. Not everything John has done has either been as good as it should have been, or could have been, so I was worried that what we might have here were fragments and work in progress, and it would be a disappointing legacy to set alongside the jewels in his back catalogue.

But, you know, this sounds great. The vibe is joyous, funky even. His friends have clearly worked to make sure this last album is a fitting legacy to a tremendous musician. Over-produced? Not to me - actually its got the love and attention that many of his previous albums deserved but never got. Having listened to it once through I just want to play it straight through again - not out of nostalgia or mourning, but because its great album that makes me feel good and reaches straight into my soul, where all good music gets to.

I've no idea whether this will win any new converts (after all if you've not got it by now with all the other wonderful stuff he's put out, you really are beyond musical redemption) but this is a joyful last opus for those of us who love his music. Rock on, John - its just a pity you're not here to play this stuff live for Jools Holland - because this sounds like some of the best stuff you've ever done.
on 25 July 2011
Just thought I'd add my bit to what's alreay been written about this last album by the late great John Martyn.

Both my wife and I have been fans of JM for many years and have seen him in concert a few times and have most, if not all his albums.
As you can imagine we were pretty devastated when we heard of his untimely death.
I guess it was inevitable as he did like to live life to the full!

This album is a blinder from start to finish and apart from the great songs and musicianship which is first class, it's the sound quality that really makes this even more special.

I'm a bit of a hi-fi nut ;-) and worked in the hi-fi industry for many years and this would have been one of those albums that I would have played at the Hi-Fi Shows that my company attended to show of our system.

Buy it for the music as well as the sound quality.
on 1 September 2011
Arrived promptly and well packaged. Bought as a gift for a friend who is delighted with it. Great songs by a great singer!
on 20 July 2011
Heaven and Earth is a labour of love assembled by his band and his mates after John Martyn's untimely death; there may be elements the great man might have scorned - perhaps the wonderful sharp slick backing singers - but the result is a treat, and an album we hadn't been expecting. Throughout his career John had an artist's habit of taking you somewhere new and uncomfortable where he had ventured while you were getting used to his last work, and in time you caught up and understood his point, but by then he had move on! However this album takes us to a place to which you can relate pretty quickly - either that or I've been brainwashed after all these years...Jazz, blues, rock, humour, strength, vulnerability, pathos, the kitchen door and the dog - it's all here, emitted from John's home in Ireland and polished in studios all over the world. More for your personal stereo or late at night than a selection of party favourites, there are strong and varied tracks throughout and you feel the musicians gave their all - and a little more just for John - willingly. John tuning up or in bad form was always better than most, and this is not a sloppy excuse for a record but a real work to enjoy. Wherever Buddhists go, we hope John is happy. Is there a first time John Martyn buyer? You could start here and work backwards. If already a fan, you shouldn't be disappointed, far from it.Heaven and Earth
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2014
Product, price and service all first rate.