on 4 July 2014
It charges, it charges fast. No complains, no issues with reliability or anything else. In order to make space for that 12v socket it does take a bit of space compared with USB-only devices, but doesn't waste any space in its design. The fast charge socket tells the truth - you'll gain charge at a decent rate on an iphone with satnav, phonecalls, and music playout running, which is not true of the cheap usb car chargers.

Wish tom tom made more of these kinds of products as they are the only brand that has stayed in my car for years and never let me down.
on 17 May 2013
I've had a few of these sorts of chargers over the years, but usually only buy pretty cheap ones that often overheated and broke a few weeks or months later. I paid a little more for this TomTom model and not only has it lasted well, it has some useful features. I particularly like the fast charge socket, which charges up my phone quite quickly, faster than the trickle charge you seem to get from the other sockets and conventional chargers.
If I had to pick a very niche drawback it's that when I'm using my iPhone with an FM transmitter, I seem to get a lot more interference when the phone is charging off the quick charge socket than when I plug it into the other USB port. Not a huge deal, just an oddity that I've recently noticed. I still recommend the product.
on 18 April 2012
This device has two USB ports, one port is 1.2A and follows the official "USB Battery Charging Spec". This port can be used for quickly charging most Android phones, or other devices compatible with the official spec.
The second port, marked "Fast Charging" however uses the incompatible proprietary Apple charging method. If you connect a non-apple device to this port, it will only draw 0.5A at most, which is not enough for most devices to charge and be used at the same time.

This is very confusing as the TomTom description implies that this port will work with any high power USB device, which simply is not true.

Just wanted to add 2 comments,
1) You can trick a compliant device into drawing more then 0.5A on the "Fast Charging" port by using a special "charging-only" USB cable or adapter. So NOT a regular USB data cable! Such a charging-only cable has the 2 data pins (D- and D+) crossed which will cause the device to draw more power.

2) I just got a new car, a 2012 BMW 3-series (F30) and the charger will not fit with USB cables attached in the centre console.
22 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2014
It works fine but doesn't fit my car. The plug is kind of short and head is very bulky, therefore it couldn't be fit in my cigarette socket which besides the cigarette bin. However, it works great on my friends car which has a wider space.

I would suggest you to check your car's cigarette socket, if it is in a even surface and has no obstacles around, this product could be great, but if it is deep underneath surface, or have knobs/buttons etc around, think again if this one will fit. The plug is just long enough to be plugged in, does not have extra length for a deep socket.

Anyway, this is the only product I can find that gives two USB socket also with another cigarette socket - which if you use with another 2 USB charger, you can get totally 4 USB outputs (which is the reason I bought it)
on 30 July 2015
Not sure about the super charge, doesn't seem that much quicker if at all, quite bulky and cumbersome, which is a problem in my car and can see it being more of a problem in smaller cars, charges ok, so partially does what it says
on 19 June 2011
Does what it says - charges stuff fast, probably knocks about 30 mins off the charging time of my iPhone when in the car.
on 2 July 2015
Works ok as tom tom charger and like the fact can use another charging plug, but the fast charger won'y work when I want to charge my Samsung mobile which is a bit dissapointing. Can,t say I would recommend it.
on 20 August 2011
Item arrived very quickly. Really it does what it says on the tin, it fits well into the charging point and stays there. I can run the satnav and charge the phone at the same time.
on 5 October 2015
IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MY IPHONE 5. This is the Product Description and you can see it is compatible with iPad, iPod and iPhone, however it is not true:

Charge up to 3 devices at the same time with the high speed multi charger. The charger is compatible with most USB devices such as mobile phones, MP3 players and navigation devices as well as high voltage devices such an in-car DVD system. The 2.1 amp port is especially suitable for extra fast charging of high power USB devices like the iPad, iPod and iPhone. To get optimal performance from your TomTom navigation device, use TomTom accessories.
on 10 April 2015
Well made multi charger. With the increasing number of gadgets in the car these days a few extra USB sockets are always welcome. I have used it to power an Android phone, Sat Nav and Laser detector - all at the same time without problems. The device is quite tall and sits quite high above the socket so it won't always be suitable for sockets that are tucked away in awkward positions partiularly when you factor in the extra clearance needed for the cables that will be plugged into it. I also found that the fit was very tight when inserting the device into my car's socket. Still, at least it doesn't work itself out.