Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 18 October 2011
After reading the reviews left for this product I've felt compelled to write my first ever Amazon product review. Looking through the other comments I thought I must ended up with a different product but a quick check on my order history has confirmed that I did buy this.

I do not consider it to be cheap and flimsy. There is an internal fabric covered sponge covering front and back that allows the new kindle to fit in nice and snug minimising any shocks from moving about with it. I've also found the leather strap handy when I've been carrying it about with me. A couple of people have commented on the zip. All I can say is that it is a zip. It zips open and it zips closed. In both these operations I have found the zip to be satisfactory.

I do agree on the price comments. A star docked from the rating. A little cheaper would have been nice but at the end of the day Amazon are not alone in charging these kind of prices for accessories. There needs to be a sea change in our attitudes to what is acceptable before prices start to fall.

In summary, I didn't want to wrap the small kindle in a leather cover as it would add too much to it in my opinion. This sleeve has met my requirements exactly and I'm very happy with it.
22 Comments| 206 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2011
The case seemed to be the first available, and arrived when promised, so that deserves a few stars. It fits well, even though the zip seems a little flimsey, but the price is the main issue. £24.99 for that! Are you kidding me. I guess I'm the mug for paying it, but they have a closed shop on these cases. They are all OTT. I've bought golf bags and rucksacks for the same money, with far more work and materials going into them.
Serioulsy guys....look at the price, and stop ridding us off.
66 Comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2011
I bought this along with the kindle. In terms of functionality it is 5 stars. It fits the new Kindle perfectly and protects the body and screen from scratching. It is well made and does not add too much more bulk. For what it is though it is overpriced. Consequently, I can only give it 3 stars overall.
on 19 March 2012
I am very pleased with this little case; the Kindle fits in it perfectly, it is easy to open, lightly (but sufficiently) padded for protection, and because it isn't bulky, slips into my handbag easily when I take it to the hairdressers, etc. Well worth the money, and you have a choice of colours!
The cover is great, a good solid cover in a range colours which feels quality in hand. A very good quality product. Keeps my kindle nice and safe and free from scrathes and other items floating around that may damage it (looking at you bunch of keys!)

However, I feel the same about this as I do about the other covers from Amazon, it is very expensive, almost a quarter of the cost of the kindle itself.

It's like buying an iphone for £400 and spending £100 on the cover, albeit a slight excageration just to make my point.

Jeff Bezos mentioned that Amazon was producing premium products at non-premium prices and that Amazon was working hard to sell it for less. However when you actually look at not just the kindle covers but other products made by Amazon (Amazon Basics are surprisingly premium) the prices are also premium.

Overall a really good cover which I would buy again tomorrow. I also have the leather one but I just wish they were a touch cheaper. It is a good cover which fits well and does the job. However there are a lot of third party covers, equally as good as this one for cheaper.

Edit: I have noticed Amazon are now doing a deal, discounting the cover when bought with the kindle. Would be nice if they applied this discount across the board to kindle owners who may not have bought the cover at the same time as the device.
on 12 October 2012
This zip sleeve is definitely overpriced for what it offers - I was disappointed with it when it arrived. There is very little to it. The zip only opens on two sides, which means it will not open flat and the Kindle has to be totally removed in order to use it. It would be much better to have a means of securing the Kindle inside it and being able to fully open up the cover, and use it in place, like the leather covers do, then just flip and zip closed. Apart from that, the kindle does fit neatly inside it and the padded sides offer some protection from knocks and scratches. I feel £10-12 would be a much better price for what it is.
on 2 February 2012
Even at £19.99, this item is seriously overpriced. They're probably mass-produced in Taiwan or similar for a pittance, and even with shipping costs, I think £9.99 would be a more representative price. After all, all it is is a zip-up cover. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a cheaper alternative out there just yet - unless one of you knows different...
on 2 November 2011
neat and compact without any fuss, this is just what is needed to keep the new Kindle in perfect condition wherever I travel without adding to the weight! Easy to open and close and a good bargain at the price.Perfecly matches the new slim line Kindle. I am delighted
on 7 February 2013
Lets face it.....successful business these days is all about ruthless cost-cutting and cheapest manufacturing channels. So this cover, while well-designed and proportioned, lacks the quality and standard of an expensively-crafted product. The first impression on receiving it is that of a light stiff apparently cheap cover, that shouldn't cost more than 5-7 quid. However, it kind of grows on you after a few days use, showing Amazon's flair for design. Besides, it protects the paperwhite I got alongside perfectly well, which kinda fulfils the purpose of its existence anyways. I didn't find any problems with the zip, as some of the other reviews suggest. Just thought the large price-tag was a bit unjustified, so took off a star for that.
on 11 October 2012
Purchased the blue version for my new Kindle. Decided on a zip-case rather than the leather cover as I found the Kindle fits well into my hand and that I did not need to recreate the feeling of holding a book.

Probably a bit more flimsy than I was expecting, but there is some sort of padding inside and the Kindle fits rather nicely inside, so not a real problem.

The only issue I have - and this is why I rated it four stars rather than five - is the price, as has already been mentioned a fair few times. I was not as affected as some, as I used gift cards to pay for most of it, but I would not have spent £20.99 on this - maybe somewhere between £12-£15 would have been better value.

At the end of the day, it serves it's purpose.