on 29 August 2012
I chose this cable after deciding to go for something that wasn't attempting to be an Apple like product because I have used the cheaper Apple knock-off cables before and they have always been flimsy and poorly made - which is reflected in their price. And while the price of the cheaper replacement cables may seem more attractive, the Amazon Basic cable offers a more sturdy, reliable and sleeker product.
With a product such as this you don't want to have to be spending a fortune on finding something that works. The cheaper knock-off cables may sway you with their low prices, but let's face it paying a few more pounds for something that you know will work and will continue to work without falling to pieces with regular use is worth it. While their are more expensive alternatives on the market (and cheaper ones too), Amazon have offered a good quality middle ground product which does exactly what it says on the tin without looking like a tacky Apple wannabe product.
on 14 February 2015
The cables Apple give are horrendous. They don't last very long because the quality of the material is so poor. However with this cable, it feels sturdy, strong yet beautiful. Ok I will give this one to Apple the iPod Nano cable I received back from 2007 was strong and it could still be used. But the new ones - a few months and there gone! I'm shocked to say Amazon make better cables than the original company!

In my photo, the Amazon Cable is on the left side, the newer 30 pin cables are in the middle and the older ones are on the far right. Tell me which one looks sturdy.
review image
on 9 October 2012
Having had a couple of cheap cables delivered that did not work, stopped working or simply were so badly made that that they did not connect properly, I eventually decided to try the Amazon Basics version of this cable (even if it was the wrong colour!). The superior build quality was apparent as soon as I open then product, quality cable, well made connectors that just fit snugly without requiring undue force to push it in, and it seems to charge faster than the last one I had that works - perhaps because the wire in the cable is a better quality.

It has taken me a while to realise that cheap cables are not a saving. I am very pleased with this cable, and tempted to by a set of Amazon Basics cables for other USB devices as they are distinctive and clearly a well engineered product.
on 9 August 2014
Bought this nearly two years ago, and they're still running strong. Not had a single problem with them so far and the quality is very impressive. I highly recommend getting these instead of the Apple manufactured ones.
on 5 January 2014
In a house where the white Apple cables constantly mysteriously hide themselves (usually in clusters) under a teenager's bed, I wanted cables that didn't look like Apple cables.
Since every Apple product is supplied with it's own cable, I have no idea why this should be.
As with other reviewers, I had tried the cheap-and-nasty 'genuine Apple' knock-offs but they tend to 'fail' very quickly and are ultimately a waste of money.
These Amazon essential cables are great! Dare I suggest that they are possibly better than the genuine Apple cables? Yes I do! They are really well made and work perfectly...
Now, what I need is a way to prevent them from hiding under a teenager's bed... :-)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like my other AmazonBasics products this lead is good value and very well made. Sure you can get replacement leads for your Apple devices for less but I have generally found them to be rather poorly made copies of the Apple original. This lead doesn't pretend to be anything other than an AmazonBasics product and reflects the high quality of the brand.

Whether you are looking for a replacement for an Apple original or buying a spare to use at work or other location then this will do nicely. The AmazonBasics packaging is good - just the minimum required to keep the product safe, and easy to open too. A high quality connector that should give long service - recommended.
on 7 April 2015
My trusty charging cable (non-Apple but equally expensive) gave up on me after a year and fell due to the fault that seems to happen to many of the 30-pin cables whereby the cable comes away from the little plastic bit that you plug into your phone. AmazonBasics is reinforced around the problem area so I doubt it will come to the same fate as the rest of my cables.

I have found that the 30-pin part and the iPhone/iPad socket isn't a 'snug' fit. It only takes a little pull for it to come out of the socket which is quite annoying! However, it does the job. Unlike many charging cables it syncs with my laptop and charges both iPad and iPhone without it taking forever.

I would recommend this product, especially for the price. It's well worth the money and better than the 99p ones you can pick up which are known to ruin the battery (I have experience with this!). I would buy more of these! Wish they were a little longer.
on 12 January 2015
I've bought inexpensive (cheap!) Apple charge cables before and found that they take 3x as long to charge my iPad 2 - so slow that I have to turn it off and leave it overnight if I want to charge it fully, so I was half expecting this to be the same.

I'm pleased to say that, this being the first AmazonBasics item I've bought, it's given me enough confidence to buy AmazonBasics stuff in future. The cable looks very plain and unassuming - in fact it looks cheap and a bit nasty. However it charges at the same speed as the OEM apple cable did and actually FEELS a lot sturdier. The Apple cables are famous for stretching and falling apart near the plug, but I can't see that happening with this unless I go Rambo out in the back garden ans use it as a makeshift tripwire for when the Mrs is pegging the washing out. (Hmmmm, I might try that as an ultimate strength test. More on that later....)

If apple want £35 for a replacement cable that is only going to pull apart again, I think I can ignore the cheap appearance of this for £4.99!
on 2 February 2014
Having read other reviews I decided to choose this one for my iPad. I had expected the lead to be longer than the apple original but it was the same,

However, the reason for my giving it 1 star, (wished there was a 0 star!), it worked for 2 weeks only. Then it would charge only if I wiggled it or kept hold of it...then wouldn't charge at all. Which suggested loose wires inside the sealed unit.

I know that it is the lead rather than me as I am currently using my son's iPod charger with no hassle at all.

Very disappointed, which rarely happens for me with Amazon purchases.
on 14 August 2014
I have had two of these leads for my iPhone 4. The first one packed in within a week, but I got it replaced free of charge. When the replacement came it worked for about a month and continues to say 'this accessory may not be supported' safe to say I will not be purchasing another one. Not impressed.