on 13 October 2012
I am very disappointed as I bought this printer believing it was a colour printer, however, when it arrived I realised it was a monochrome. I believe the advert is misleading, there is nowhere to indicate that what you are about to buy is a black and white printer. I searched for a colour printer and this one came up as a colour printer so I bought it only to realise what it is after it arrived to me. I have not used this printer so I do not know how efficient it is.
So decide are you looking for a monochrome? If not move away from this printer.
44 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 July 2013
I am so upset - my printer just died a few days ago and I decided to upgrade and buy a laser printer - after searching around I settled on this one and I think it is super except for one small snag IT DOESN'T PRINT IN COLOUR. There was no indication on any of the specs that it is only black - I only realised the issue when I had already set it up and tried printing on it.

What a mess --
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 October 2014
Firstly, I should say that I'm writing this review after using the printer for the past year, as this is the only way to properly review an item.

I used to have an HP then switched to a fancy Epson when it needed replacing, which had top reviews on Amazon (probably from people who had not long used the thing!). After finding that I was constantly having to change the colour cartridges (whether or not you use colour, colour ink is injected each time anyway), I was completely fed up and thanks to the Amazon returns policy, was able to return the Epson printer and get this one instead. Before buying this, I did a lot of research on Which. This one was in the top 10 and seemed to best meet my needs. When I got this, it was like a breath of fesh air after my Epson ordeal. It's very fast being a laserjet but also much more economical to run than the old Epson one (which was however cheaper to buy). In summary, I would say beware of buying a fancy cheaper printer that turns out to be much more expensive to run- I found that to be a false economy (especially as they are designed to reject non-original branded cartridges). This may not do colour, but it is a solid, fast and reliable printer and scanner.
on 30 January 2015
Great printer with very good print quality for black and white documents. The print speed is decent and I like the two-sided manual print option. I have been using it for over 6 months and so far it never failed. Although, I must admit I am not a heavy user and this unit is used at my home. I have not used the wifi printing option but did try to play with it once. I found it too fiddly and gave up after a while as I don't really need this feature at this time. The HP eprint feature is a welcome addition but it is not 100% reliable. The printer also gets offline time to time. The ink cartridge that came with it lasted for ages considering it's complementary, I think it gave well over 650 prints. I do not use the scan feature to scan high quality photos, but I can assure you guys that for a standard document, this scanner is more than sufficient. The copier works great too. Overall, it is a great printer for the price.
on 11 April 2013
11th April, 2013
Good laser printer bought after Which review recommendation. (viewed in local library). i was a bit reluctant to purchase at first as I'd had a bit of a nightmare with a previous HP officejet pro inkjet colour that was extremely expensive on the cartridges that also froze the machine if one inkjet cart was empty and also bled ink inside. Eventually junked!
This printer however is different. It was connected via WI FI to both a Mac and PC. In connecting it up I let the Mac do it's own thing connected with no real problems. *I did not use the supplied disc with MAC driver on as this seemed to confuse the Mac. I just let Mac sort itself which it did surprisingly easily. *
The PC. The instructions asked that I plug the printer in to the PC initially with a USB to the PC which I did even though I wanted a WI FI connection. The PC then searched on the HP web site for the printer driver. I did not use the supplied disc as the PC seemed to do it's own thing in searching for the correct printer driver which it did off the HP website no real issues, other than that fairly simple but you have to be patient. Following on screen instructions the PC was later able to "talk" to the printer via WI FI and print.

The Mac took about 20 mins from sitting down to finish to load driver and the PC about 45 mins.
I've only just come to change the supplied genuine printer cartridge after some 5 months home light usage which has prompted this review. I suspect this original supplied cartridge was not fully charged with toner but it came with the printer to start off with and it's done its job. (Just have to work out how to get all this plastic recycled!)
I bought a spare original HP cartridge when I bought the printer on another reviewer's recommendation. On reading some of the adverse user reports on replica cartridges I'm glad I did buy a second genuine cartridge I think it's worth paying a bit more for the genuine printer cartridge for the reliability and sustained quality. Good BW printer for the price in my opinion esp if you've got someone studying at home.
on 6 March 2013
Wow what a great little printer.

My cheap Kodak colour inkjet finally gave up the ghost so I had to buy a new printer. I just bought a Samsung (from PC World not from Amazon) but after six hours I could not get it to connect with my wireless network. The next day I took it back and got a refund.

Then I bought this HP printer, it was delivered within two days (1st class post selected). This is MONO laser printer, copier and scanner. I had it set up and printing within five minutes of unpacking it, it could not have been simpler.

I have cable broadband with a wireless router and I have many devices connected to my home network (both wired and wireless) including 2 laptops, 1 netbook and 1 NAS server. The easiest way to set this up was to use the HP smart install option by connecting each pc to the IP address of the printer and downloading the latest drivers and firmware straight to that pc.

Within one hour I had the whole house fully connected and printing fine, including the HP ePrint system, which means you get a dedicated e-mail address for your printer, so you can send any doc (and attachments) to your printer from any pc, anywhere, and even from your smart phone.

I've had HP printers previously and they have always been reliable. I tried the cheap end of the market (Kodak, etc), but although the printers are cheap, the ink costs always add up, and bloody ink jets never last that long! so I have gone away from ink jets and gone back to laser (toner) which are far cheaper per page.I also decided I don't really need colour, so have gone back to Mono (black only).

The only down side I can think of here is that this does not do auto duplex printing. It does do duplex, buts its manual which means you have to turn the paper over yourself... big deal.

This is a great little printer, suitable for home or small office use, its easy to set up, easy to use. The included software is also useful (print utility, set-up, scan options, OCR software, etc. What more could you want?
on 22 November 2013
I use to have a canon printer. One of those that can print photos really well, but that machine had a huge defect: you couldn't scan if any of your cartridge was empty. Why? not even sure, the software people of that company did the worse they could, and of course technical support couldn't help, and despite this problem exist since long ago, Canon won't fix it.
So I decided to go with a laser multi function device, and HP was one of my first option. Price wise this device was right in the spot, the quality is great, the speed is more than enough for what I need, and to use it is easy enough.
The "difficult" side is the Mac drivers. By default with mountain lion the scanner won't work over the network. The printer works fine, but scanner took some time to fix.
I think there was a recent update or an update with Maverik that fix it, but at the end of the day, the way I fix it was connecting the printer over USB to my Mac and use the rest of the machines over IP network. Not the most elegant solution, but the way it works.
Again, I think it works now if you update to maverik, or download the most recent drivers from apple, but I'm not 100% of this since connecting it over USB just work for me.
From windows I can print and scan over the network without a problem, but I had to install and use the CD to install the software and drivers.
My Linux machine took a bit more effort, but if you google it you'll find the right drivers from HP.
on 9 September 2012
I was quite happy when I found this all-in-one solution for my two computers (one PC, one Mac), promising to be multifunctional, wireless and Windows/Mac supporting. However, it took me hours with HP manuals, on HP pages, on various forums, still without getting the wireless scanner to work with Mac. Then, accidentally, after I had upgraded from OS Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, and without much hope configured the device once more (for the third or fourth time), it suddenly condescended to work as promised with Mac. No thanks to HP and their rather defective information though. Apart from that the device (printer, copier and now also scanner - I don't use the fax), when working, works as well as any similar product, perhaps better if you consider the price.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 June 2014
As a printer it's pretty good stepping up from an epson inkjet

Connects via ethernet and wifi. Also offers print options for IOS devices on your home wifi network without the need for special IOS apps to be installed (like HP's own IOS app) which is good - printer is automatically located by your IOS device as long as it's switched on.

On/off switch is cheap and feels like it won't last very long but the keypad feels more robust.

The ADF is picky - if you are scanning multiple pages and it mispicks/jams then the hpscan software does not let you unjam/repick and then continue scanning where you left off. HPscan also doesn't let you specify where to scan from (flatbed or via ADF) - I tried a trial version of vuescan which offered this option but not explored further.
on 12 March 2015
A good printer & scanner that we have used for about 12 months. My only complaint is the long time it takes to carry out a scan