Customer reviews

Tidlo Wooden Sorting and Teaching Clock

on 21 June 2012
At the age of about 26 months, my daughter suddenly became obsessed with the time. From then on, many conversations around the house would go something like this:

"It's hass pass three!"
"No ... it's one o'clock. It's time to eat your lunch."

[Fifteen minutes later]

"It's one o'clock!"
"No ... now it's quarter past one."
"Korter pass one!"

And so on.

I hadn't really imagined trying to teach telling the time to a two-year-old, so I thought I'd have a look to see what kind of teaching clocks were available for younger learners.

The 'Tidlo Sorting and Teaching Clock' is made of wood, with a little stand that slots into the back to hold the clock face upright, but at an angle. The numbers are made out of magnetised wooden bricks, which helps to hold them in place securely. The hands of the clock are made of plastic, and are decently robust. Sometimes I have a little trouble setting them to exactly the time I want to, as they don't always quite click into place first time, but I don't find this a major problem.

I was drawn to this particular clock because it was attractive and colourful, and the hands of the clock could be set in various positions to demonstrate different times. Unlike other similar products on the market, the numbers are on different shaped bricks, rather than all being on circles, which helps your child to put them in the correct order on the clock face. To start with, my daughter just enjoyed taking the numbers out and learning how to put them back in. Once she had mastered that, I started talking about 'o'clock' with her. Now that she's starting to get the hang of that, we're moving on to 'half past'!

Whilst the clock is a great teaching aid for younger children, the nicest thing about it from my point of view is that it is also a toy, and when the complicated business of learning about the time gets a bit much, my daughter and I can have fun looking at numbers, colours and shapes too.

This review refers to the 'Tidlo Sorting and Teaching Clock' by John Crane.
11 people found this helpful
on 4 May 2016
Great item, really sturdy, the numbers don't just fall out when you prop it up. It challenges in such different ways, matching shapes, counting, learning colours and of course telling the time! lovely
One person found this helpful
on 4 September 2016
My daughter 2.5years loves this, it really does help teach numbers. My other daughter 10months loves this because she can take all of the shapes out! It's really good quality, worth every penny!
on 9 June 2013
I bought this for my 3 y.o. who is really interested in the clock and the hours of the day, but the thing of having the number off , kind of ticked him off. So, I'd say it is good but keep it for bigger kids . And also if you have a smaller child this becomes a problem , because he kept taking the pieces off and my other kid would get sooo mad.
on 13 January 2018
excellent item, my grandson loves playing with it, is helping him to tell the numbers and identify shapes
on 23 April 2016
Excellent product, currently using it to teach my young daughter to tell them time. It's large and the text and numbers are very clear.
on 2 February 2012
Tis is a beautiful clock, very clear and easy to understand and to explain to children. My 4 year old loves it as does my 18 onth old. It's a great toy - shape sorter, for teaching colours, numbers, shapes, and of course the time :)
6 people found this helpful
on 6 February 2013
This clock is several learning aids in one. It has the clock face with numbers, shapes and colours. The hands on the clock face turn and the minutes are also marked off. It also has a stand to fit to the back to make the clock stand up. Great product
on 11 January 2016
Brilliant toy! Educational too. Teach numbers, time, colours, shapes... Two year old loves it.
on 8 October 2016
My clock came with a 5 where the one should have been. i.e.: the numbers went 5, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. Not ideal to teach a child to count with. And for the price i can't be bothered with all the hassle and expense of sending it back.