Style Name: Apple iPhone|Colour Name: Black|Change

on 21 November 2014
Although I gave this product 5 stars I very nearly sent these headphones back... got them at an amazing price (£19.99) in a lightning deal, but was so disappointed when I received them. There was no life on the sound AT ALL!... Got someone else to test them... same thing.

I was about ready to return the headphones when I decided to try the slightly larger earbuds (that come with the headphones), even though the medium ones that came on the headphones were very comfortable... OMG what a difference!!

I cannot stress enough to try ALL the earbud sizes, not only for comfort, but for sound quality too... it makes a huge difference! Incidentally, not only did the larger earbuds improve the sound quality, but they were even more comfortable that the medium ones!

Anyway, all that said... the best in-ear headphones that I have ever bought! Thank you Amazon for your lightning deals!!
on 3 September 2012
I had been a happy owner of a pair of Sennheiser CX-300's for over 2 years until I stood on them and snapped off an ear piece, since then i've been using the bundled Apple iPhone earphones. Although the sound quality has dropped and they constantly fall out of my ears i've found the inline volume and control buttons as well as the microphone to be really very handy.

As i've just started a gym membership I wanted to upgrade to something that would stay in my ears while exercising, block out the other sounds and have high quality sound. I was about to purchase another pair of CX-300's as they are exactly that but thought: "Is there a way to combine the features of the CX-300's with the Apple earphones?" I tried putting both earphones in a tank together to see if they would mate but alas! there was no need...

The answer is yes and they come in the form of the MM 30i's.

There's an obvious price difference between the CX-300's and the MM 30i's but it is well worth it in my opinion. The controls work on my iPhone, iPad and the iPod Nano I wear as a watch. There are up and down volume controls as well as a centre button which can Play (one click), Pause (one click), Skip track (two clicks), Skip back one track (three clicks), Answer Calls (one click), and End Calls (one click). The only thing I would change is that the controls are placed on the left hand wire (good for lefties?) instead of the right like the Apple earphones, it's no biggie though.

The earphones come in a see-through plastic box and contain the earphones, instructions and a set of 3 various sized earpieces to guarantee a good fit in your ear. As with all Sennheiser products I have used the MM 30i's are built to a high standard and sound fantastic.

All in all, if you're looking to upgrade from the standard Apple earphones or want extra functionality than your CX-300's you can't go wrong with choosing the MM 30i's.
22 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2014
Reason for purchase: I primarily use these while travelling (driving/National Rail/TFL [Tube]) and wanted something that would allow voice and music player control in the remote so I don't have to faff about with my phone in public. Given the dearth of choices for headphones with android remote functionality I picked these based on price and previous experiences with the Sennheiser brand (good) and didn't want an 'inline' (one-button) remote.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195)
Android: 4.2.2
Music Player: Poweramp (2.0.9-build-554-play (full version))
User: male, 30's, finance professional.
Price paid: £45.34 (Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.) the white version is more expensive than the black ones for some reason.

Positives
(a). Sound Quality: Seems good, no worse than some, more expensive, headphones I have tried for home use. Headphones are always tested by me using Part I of Stravinksy's The Rite of Spring at a medium to high i.e. loud, but comfortable, volume. I don't pay much heed to technical numbers with headphones anymore (I learnt that sometimes they list frequency responses humans can't even hear after a certain age!)
(b). Functionality (Calls): Plus/minus adjust the volume and the middle button takes and hangs up calls. Haven't attempted anything else in a call. Mic quality seems good; though I haven't used it in a very loud/busy environment.
(c). Functionality (Music Player): Unbeknown to me initially the functionality seems to vary by music player (app). My app of choice is Poweramp with alternative being Google Play Music.
Plus/minus - volume controls
Single-click - play/pause (and pickup/hangup call if received while player is on)
Double-click - skip forward one track
Triple-click - skip back to beginning of track/skip back one track (if already at the beginning of the track). N.B. the triple-click does nothing in Google Play Music (you go forward a track).
Poweramp - when pressing the middle button you get audible beeps so you know how many times you pressed. N.B. not applicable in Google Play Music. The Google Play Music differences might be something to do with the app settings, I never checked.

Build/Quality: good, what you'd expect. With sensible use and care they should last a while (see caveat below), my previous Sennheiser in-ear headphones are still going (if only the had a remote!). These look decent too, the white headphones go with my white S4 Mini.

Areas to Improve ("Negatives")

1. No case/pouch: a carry pouch would have been useful. I've used the pouch from my previous pair of Sennheiser's but without a case/pouch the headphones durability/longevity will, likely, be lower.
2. No clip: a (removable) clip near or at the remote would be handy so I could fasten it to my collar/suit.

For reasons 1 and 2 I could not give it 5 stars.

Other

User experience may deviate from mine by Android version / phone manufacturer. This seems to be more an issue with android than with headphone manufactures though. If you've got a Galaxy phone and an Android version the same (or better) than mine then your experience will likely be the same.

Valen
22 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2014
Delivery:
Prompt,arrived on time,good start then.

Sennheiser MM30G In-Ear Headset for Samsung Galaxy - Black:
Now,I don`t usually review a item I haven`t tried yet but,I have been
using the "I" version of these since this year Jan & there suppose to
be the same soooo,I think I can safely make a comment/do a reivew.

Here goes,"These are the best in-ear headphones that I`ve had the
musical privilege to use to date"...ok I`ll try & add a bit more.
I`ve bought many a in-ear headphone in my time,there`s a set of JVC`s
on here that I`ve reviewed that were my top performers,not anymore.
The MM30G/I truly are great earphones & beat the JVC`s hands down on
everything from;tops which are crystal,mids which are clear & lows which
are full bodied,all this & more musicality than you can shake a stick at.
If you`re looking to hear the different layers in your mp3`s,you`ll get
that with the MM30`s,if you want hours of comfortable listing,you`ll have
that too along with,3 different bud sizes.

All the above qualities are evident when listening in or outdoors,more so
indoors as,there`s usually less back ground noise.
I use one of two mp3 players that are/seem to be dedicated to musicality
1st & more so,these are;NexMusic & Noozy(dogsbark).Neither of these mp3
players go particularly loud on my phone(could be phone though,but loud
enough it is from 2012!)but,I find I DON`T need to turn my phone up to get
any of the benefits I mentioned which,is better for the long term health
of my ears.
The real acid test for any ear/headphones when using a smartphone has to be
through a radio app,you will probably get the best(most consistent)sound quality
from a good radio app.My radio app of choice is "Tunein Radio",via wifi the signal
is clear & strong giving the listener "almost" audio file reproduction,these MM30`s
excel even further via radio;transparency,separation & depth....just wonderful.
I should also mention that these earphones may not sound the best strait out of
their packaging but,give them a hour or two or,blast them on 90% volume for about
30mins,(don`t put them in your ears though).Speaking of packaging,these are REALLY
difficult to unpack,they come in that tight see through plastic & card jobby so,be
warned!

"So how robust are they?",I here you say well,my MM30I`s are still going
strong(from Jan14)& I`m not the most careful of users I`ve accidentally pulled
the wires out more than I care to remember in fact,they have survived a "full"
dark wash cycle @ 40 degrees & still sound superb...
..amazing really!

Conclusion:
Want hifi quality in-ear headphones for a bargain price,get the MM30G/I.
Sorry I didn`t mention the controls,using a Sony Xperia S smartphone the
MM30I controls don`t work,as I said I haven`t tried the MM30G yet when I
do,I`ll up-date this review concerning the controls with my smartphone.
For anyone wondering,the controls are mounted on the left hand side,a bit
awkward for this "right hander" I`m afraid but,this is minor as the whole
point of my review is the "hifi sound" for a bargain price!

Highly Recommended Five Easy Stars,thank you for reading &,happy listening.

Update:17.03.15.
My MM30i`s have finally given up the ghost,I recently caught them on the metal
part of a door frame,it cut right through the rubber outer covering exposing
the internal wires,believe it or not they still worked perfectly fine until I
snagged & pulled them in my pocket while sitting down bending the plug(which
didn`t have it`s rubber sleeve for a good while)resulting in one speaker not
working so on to the MM30G`s,this is the version for Android Phones & the big
questions;do the buttons work as advertised &,are the audio & hands free up to
the same standard.Can`t say for hands free yet(no calls made or received)but
the buttons DO all work as advertised & as for audio,no change there too still
out standing for the price,need to buy another spare set now!!

Update:09.09.15.
So I`ve been using these(MM30G)along side my chosen JVC IME`s & for,calls
& using "Google now"(ok google)the MM30G`s perform very very well.I do have
a fairly deep & croaky voice so,anyone or thing(a machine)hearing my voice at
the other end can struggle but,all is clear via the MM30G`s.

Update:11.02.16
A month ago I purchased the MM30G`s in "White" as a backup,tested them out & they
are currently my daily drivers,all this same quality for less than £20,can`t go wrong really!
on 13 November 2011
I've had these earphones for around 3 months so thought it was about time to write a review.

First Impressions - nice box, fairly good instructions, 3 different sized buds going from really quite small to fairly large so these should fit most people comfortably.

Sound Quality - Initially coming from the standard Apple Earphones I wasn't blown away - yes they were better (more clarity, crisper and louder) but for the price...I wasn't sure. I was tempted to return them but figured I persevere and I'm glad I did. Once properly bedded in (I'd say at least 50 hours of use) these really did come in to their own. Sound became clearer, bass improved dramatically and the whole range got better and better.

Construction - Seem well built, mine still look like new - no exposed wires/scratches. The buds are well secured as well which hopefully should prevent them getting stuck in your ear (it does happen).

Criticism - The remote is too close to your face, I struggle to adjust the volume as I can't see what I'm doing. It needs to be a further down/separate from the microphone. They tangle very easily - more so than the Apple ones.

Conclusion - Give them a chance to bed in and you won't be disappointed. Nice earphones and good value for money.
on 20 April 2016
these are great quality earphones - the sound is fantastic, nice and clear with plenty bass, They and comfy to wear and stay securely in my ears. They come with a range of rubber ear buds of different sizes for maximum comfort. I use them with my htc one android phone and they work really well. I have had them a couple of years now and have had no issues. The other day they somehow managed to find their way into the washing machine and go through a whole wash cycle(perhaps left in an unchecked pocket), I was so disappointed when I saw them amongst the soggy clothes. After giving them a chance to dry I plugged then back in and was very surprised when they continued to work as well as they always had. This is a robust piece of kit and the sound quality is so far above any similarly priced headsets that I have tried. I will always buy Sennheiser in the future.
on 25 January 2012
I bought these headphones to use with my iphone 4s. I don't really like the ones apple provide with the phone because I like the noise isolation of these headphones, plus these are more inconspicuous than the bright white apple ones. I have the sennheiser CX 300-II also which have been going strong for almost 3 years but I needed the voice control that these headphones provide. The voice control works with Siri which is the main thing that I needed because this means I can use my phone when I'm out without ever having to take it out. Other than that there isn't much to comment on, the sound quality is as you'd expect from a pair of sennheisers and I think the mic quality is fine too (haven't heard any complaints from anyone I've been on the phone to). The only downside is the noise isolation isn't as good as with the CX 300-II; the headphones are a slightly different shape which I think affects how good of a seal they can form in your ear. However, the fact that I can still hear what is going on around me to some extent isn't a totally bad thing because as I said I wear these only when I'm out so it's good to be able to hear the tube announcements or what's going on around me generally. It would have been nice to have some dedicated music buttons for moving between tracks as well.
on 26 November 2015
Authenticate and register these ASAP after receiving them to ensure best support and 2 year warranty if anything goes wrong.
Remote is smaller than it seems in pictures, which is a good thing as I thought it may be heavy on one ear. Still larger enough for easy use, volume buttons are ramped so you can differentiate them from multi-function centre button, even through (thin) gloves.
Big bass, clear audio - I'm no audiophile however they sound fantastic to me. Bass is awesome for hip-hop I listen to, also great for classical music.
Right angle connector was a welcome surprise as it is pictured as straight, much better for damage avoidance and easier to plug in/out.
All black design blends well with any tech, silver rings on earphone housing works well with the overall flashes of silver and white throughout the aesthetics.
Small housing means they fit my ears excellently with the small tips provided (medium by default), which cannot be said for a large number of other earphones with weirdly shaped and/or large housing which leads to them falling out. These are always snug and comfortable.
People say I'm clear over the phone using hands-free mic and multi-function button allows call answering, ending, Siri voice control etc.
on 9 July 2013
As a lover of music and podcasts having a pair of headphones that deliver crisp audio while cutting out background noise is pretty important to me. I spend quite a lot of time on pubic transport and generally moving around so also tend to lose a pair every 3-6 months.

Comfort:
Very comfortable: I can see myself happy for extended durations

Audio quality:
They offer a solid high and mid-range sound with crisp features.
The bass is pretty solid, having tested on my mac and iPhone, it could be better but at the relatively low price point it's decent.
On noise isolation they're pretty standard for in-ear's

Cheaper option:
I've been buying Sony MDR-EX50LP's for a long time as they're pretty cheap but these beat them all round in audio quality

More expensive:
From what I can read my next step up is probably a £150 investment in some Shure 315's or higher, although as I lose these things so often I'm reluctant right now :-)

Conclusion:
For the money these are on the ball. You're not going to get the quality of a pair of £150 headphones but they're a great upgrade, it feels that they'll last and the added bonus of having a microphone so I can use it for calls and audio is awesome.
on 14 November 2011
Firstly if you are a person like my wife who would say something along the lines of "How much for headphones?!?! They all sound the same to me" Then you probably won't get much from these and would be best sticking to the average Apple ones.

If you can tell the difference in quality of headphones then these are going to make your eardrums as happy as mine are.
I have owned various styles and brands over the years and as I used to work for a major electrical store I have tried many more out side of what I would call a reasonable price range.
You do get what you pay for but these are punching above their weight.

To give a fair test I played various types of music, 15 Step by Radiohead is one that is widely used to test quality so I played that. I also played music by (but not limited to) The Rolling Stones, Terrorvision, Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine, The Beatles, Laika Dog, Levellers, Clawfinger, Rage Against The Machine, Korn, KLF, The Prodigy, Faithless, Pink Floyd.
I also had some classical on at one point and some Acker Bilk.
A fair test by any ones standards I think you'd agree?

(3/4 volume, no EQ)

These MM30i's made music seem more 3 dimensional instead of the usual flatness of standard headphones. I've heard things in songs today that I have never heard before.
Tiny little melodies buried in songs that are all new to me, subtle echo on vocals never heard and bass lines in songs I never knew featured a bass.

For the price I paid for these they are worth every single penny and more.

A quick note about the Apple headset side to these.
I don't have a iPhone so these have been tested using the latest iPod Touch and iPod Nano
They did everything they were supposed to (except call as I can't)
The buttons are a little small and fiddly and even more annoying as they are very close to your face, seeing the button you are pressing isn't really practical.
I also tried these on my Desire HD and they sounded as wonderful as they did on my iPods
The middle button will play and pause music on the D-HD and a double press will start a phone call
I assume the phone call is to either the last person you called or the last you received and as both of mine was my wife I hung up before she answered. Maybe the headset works or maybe not, I don't want to find out yet as I'm still being nagged at for spending money on these.

TL,DR version

Sound is fuller and richer than average headphones, you will be perfectly happy owning these and should buy some, works as a headset even though the buttons/mic is annoyingly placed