Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.19

Having heard little bits of Hawaiian-born American singer Bruno Mars here and there on Youtube (enough to remember him), I saw this in the supermarket today and took a gamble on it. Glad I did! ... It's not my usual thing (I'm more into Ska, Rock and Indie), but I took an instant warm to "Doo-Wops and Hooligans".

I suppose, given his LA/Hawaii roots, his musical style is somewhat understandable: from the first track, my room filled with an uplifting (and stylish) mixture of breezy, summery pop (lightly influenced by cool, urban reggae -- though it's more pop than anything). Bruno's soft (lightly falsetto) voice is perfectly matched with his cool-beats and Caribbean-toned music. It feels like you should be listening to this on a hammock with a glass of coconut juice and crashing waves beside you ))

The songs are a blissful mixture of sunny romantic ballads and lazy chillout tracks. Personal highlights, are the addictive opener "Grenade" the appropriately titled (and infectiously inspirational) toe-tapper "The Lazy Song" ("Today I don't feel like doing any-thing...") and the moving "Count on Me". That said, though, there isn't any really any filler on the album: due to the style it's just perfect for kicking off your shoes and lying down with a of cuppa ))! My only ("slight") niggle, is that track 2 "Just The Way You Are" sounds very similar to Alicia Keys "Doesn't Mean Anything" (Element of Freedom). So close as to be little more than a complete rip-off!....(Search out the mash-ups online, they fit almost perfectly!)

Quibble aside you can't really go wrong with this album. If you like lazy, chilled-out, uplifting music go out and get it -- it's the perfect tonic for all those blue, wintry days.
66 Comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2011
I treated myself to this CD because my grandsons were always singing songs from it, and I kept hearing Bruno Mars on the car radio on my way to work. I was already familiar with 'Grenade' and 'Just the way you are', but 'Our first time' has a great reggae beat to it and it's so good to hear Damian Marley featured on 'Liquor Store Blues' - I've spent half my life listening to Bob Marley's music. Celo Green is featured on 'The Other Side' and he has a huge voice (bought his album too!). To keep it brief, there isn't a track on here that I don't enjoy, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
on 9 June 2011
If you have any doubt in your mind whether or not to buy, let me persuade you.

You start with Grenade, fantastic song, fantastic lyrics.

Just the way you are. Tell's it how it is, the only problem is, you won't look good infront of your girlfriend while this is playing in the car.. Bruno tops you everytime with the lyrics!!!

skip past 'our first time' if your mum is with you, can be a bit awkward!!! very suggestive lyrics..

Runaway baby is brilliant, my personal favourite. Such an energetic song to portray Bruno's vocal talent.

The lazy song is a fun little tune, basically tells you what you should be doing on a lazy saturday!

skip to talking to the moon, simply amazing. just amazing.

Liquor store blues, with damian marley is fantastic,

the other side, somewhere in brooklyn and talking to the moon acoustic top this album off.

Only downside is CD case was cracked at the front and on the top joint, i simply replaced top cover with an old CD!!
although i think this was Royal Mails fault due to slight damage to packaging...

Please buy and Enjoy!!!
on 16 January 2017
Never realized that Bruno had so many hits on his 1st album.

I find myself singing along to all the hits and also i have a love for Talking to the moon that i was not expecting.

Would recommend this over 24k Magic any day.
on 26 December 2010
I bought this for a Christmas present for my 63 year old mother who heard Bruno Mars on Viva TV. She loves it, and, listening to it with her I can tell why. This is obviously the work of a massively talented young singer/songwriter. His lyrics are thoughtful and poetic. His style, although unique, hits the heights of hearing the work of Michael Jackson in the '80's (his most ground breaking lyrical period in my opinion)and exceeds it in many respects. I feel I am correct in judging he surpasses maybe even '70's/'80's Stevie Wonder in the honesty, clarity and execution of his work. Both reminiscent and innovative at the same time. A young artist to watch!
on 9 March 2011
Recently bought this album and have to say it's one of the best albums I've bought in years - loved every song and would thoroughly recommend
'Bruno Mars' (Born 'Peter Gene Hemandez' in Honolulu Hawaii in 1985) a talented singer/songwriter -record producer and
indeed choreographer is without doubt one of musics great talents of these times.
This album his most successful to date, in fact it's in the Top-Ten best selling albums of the decade which given it's track-
listings is of little surprise.
Since breaking into the U.K Chart back in 2010 he's achieved 5 Chart-Toppers, three of which are indeed on this album, those
being - 'Grenade' and my personal favourite 'The Lazy Song' and of course 'The Way You Are'
Other tracks from this album have of course also featured in the U.K singles Chart such as, 'Marry You' (great number) (Chart '11')
and 'Runaway Baby' (Chart '19') along with one or two lower-order entries.
He has of course had success since the release of this album with i'm sure much more yet to come.
Great Album....certainly one for the collection.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2011
This is a great way to kick off 2011. If you are looking to purchase this on the strength of 'Just The Way You Are' and 'Grenade' you'd be making a wise decision. It gets better than these two anthemic tracks. Expect more of the same memorable melodies blending the best elements of urban music.
There's a diverse sound across the board with little filler to speak of. Highlights include the piano driven 'Talking to the Moon' and the reggae influenced 'Liquor Store Blues' (appropriately featuring Damian Marley). Also wisely included from his earlier EP is 'Count on Me' - an infectious, warm and incredibly catchy number; a perfect emphasis on the very relatable subject of good friendship.
Despite having been released in North America in October 2009 you'll actually get two extra tracks on the European edition - 'Somewhere in Brooklyn' and a stripped down version of 'Talking to the Moon.'
on 9 December 2016
Absolutely great debut album... but you know that already. I can only comment on the packaging and presentation of the vinyl as I do not have a turntable yet. This is just something that I really wanted to have. The vinyl comes in a sleeve inside the outer case (album cover). And that inside sleeve has the credits on the back. Happy with it and I know that most people don't like it, but I'm glad that I got a coloured vinyl.
review image review image review image
Did not really know if this album would be for me; I like the singles but thought that a whole album could potentially be a bit repetitive in content. I am really pleased to say that my concerns were not realised and that this is a great album with a feelgood summer sound throughout. All the tracks are strong and are marked with a subtle reggae hook that takes you to a place under a palm tree on the beach, and keeps you there.