Top positive review
29 people found this helpful
LOVE these Dumbbells! Heres why!
on 24 April 2016
- There is no vibration or rattle from the plastic ring-locks
- The spin locks don't come undone easily, but do loosen slightly over time
- Spin locks tighten (or are removed) very fast and easily
- The spin locks cant rust or oxidise, easy on and easy off
- Weights not made from sand inside plastic, so cant crack, break and spill
- Very nearly exactly 1.25KG per bar including 2 spin locks. My scale may be off a few grams out
- Lots of weights for variations from 12 weights in 3 sizes
- Centralised grip cant be moved and is always perfectly balanced in centre
- Each dumbbell can take 10 weights (more if using smallest size), extra space at end is great
- Contrary to what others say, weights extremely comfy to handle (bought 2015)
You can use one dumbbell at a time, each set to different weights, resting one arm whist the other works. No standing around waiting between sets. You won't have to change them between sets this way, and the sheer variety of weights means that you have an enormous amount of potential combinations of weight in kilos and small increments.
I remember my Dad's old York weights, from days of old. These are far superior in every respect. Perfect for beginners, intermediates and pro’s, and very comfortable to hold and work out with!
These weights are so comfortable to hold (the grip) I had forgotten exactly what the grip was made from, as it has never been a problem. The grip is made from extremely strong/hard plastic, with an ever so slightly rubberised feel. Its very comfortable without gloves.
If you are happy to spend the money, I can see these lasting more than a lifetime, literally. The price does go up and down from £25 to £35. Id have been happy paying either price. They are fantastic!
UPDATE: Ive started working out more, and bought a second set of York dumbbells (at full price). Both purchases of these dumbbells included the plastic handles, which I like as they are easy to grip, and very, very comfortable. Not sure what type of plastic the spin locks are, but I would be happy to chuck my spin locks off a 3 storey building, they seem extremely robust and are definitely crack proof, and not at all prone to thread-wearing.
I also bought the York BARBELL / DUMBELL SET. This came with two york dumbbells with METAL handles, which I like personally like less. Ive take another photo, and given a comparison of the two types of York Handles. My recommendation is that you buy this set of dumbbells, as many times as you need (to accumulate weights) and avoid the barbell set which comes with dumbbells, as I am not as keen on the metal handles grips that come in the York dumbell/barbell set.
To be clear though, neither type of grip are prone to slipping, both are very grippy, and if you lift heavy weights, you could treat yourself to a nice set of gloves to keep your hands soft which your partner will appreciate :)
With York being such a big name, one would have hoped they would have capitalised on their success by rewarding consumers to the very best weights they can engineer. The only thing that can be improved, are the plastic spin locks. Why not give us metal ones, which have the only advantage of looking nicer (both are super strong). If I could take off half a star for this, I would.
I paid £35 for mine. Twice. Plus got a set for my following birthday to keep at a family members house. These are great, no problems with any of the sets in all the time Ive had them. If you are happy with my review, please give it a like.