on 17 April 2011
This Garmin could not be easier to use.
Switch it on when you arrive at the golf club (it takes less than a minute to find satellites),
it prompts you with the course name (your club may have multiple courses),
click select on the course,
walk onto the tee (front or back 9; doesn't matter; it figures it out),
off you go,
while standing at my ball, a quick glance at my wrist helps my shot/club selection (its as easy as checking the time)
Unlike my shotsaver, I can read it without glasses.
as you walk from a green to the next tee it switches automatically to the appropriate hole.
Unlike my shotsaver, I don't have to explicitly 'finish hole' and confirm the next hole.
I can forget about it for a few holes and not have get out my glasses and 'finish' multiple holes to get to where I am.
Its strictly 'distance to green (front, middle, back)'; nothing about bunkers and other hazards.
Very accurate, to the yard. I already trust it more than my course's 150yd and 100yd markers.
It measures around dog legs (not as the crow, and occasionally the ball, flies).
Oh, you do have to 'end round' as you finish your round, or the battery will discharge too quickly (I didn't try leaving it on).
'Measure shot' worked as expected. 'Odometer' worked fine too.
Highly recommended.
---------
Updated November 1st 2017

The reviewed Approach S1 was a present for my Dad; he loved it too.
I bought one for myself in November 2014.
It worked perfectly for almost 2 years, at which point it lost all its golf course database ('No Courses Near' message).
I downloaded Garmin Express, but it did not recognize the Approach S1.
After a few back and forth emails with support, when all else failed, they advised me:
1) Attach the Approach S1 to a Windows computer
2) Format the resultant disk drive to Fat32
3) Dismount the disk drive and reattach the Approach S1 again
4) Run Garmin Express again and 'Add device', etc.
This worked perfectly and my Approach S1 lives again.
I have reinstated my 5 star review.
44 Comments| 286 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2013
what a fantastic item this is if you are a player like me who doesnt hit the ball with each club as far as the pros do
this will knock shots off your handicap in very quick time i am 57 years old and have gone from 22 down to 17 in about 3 months using this watch. You just get to know how far you are hitting each club so after a couple of rounds you look at the watch it says 100 yards to go and you know which club to use straight away and wam bam thank you mam your ball is on the green again lol
on 18 March 2017
Perfect for basic yardage which is just what I needed
on 22 January 2014
I have wanted one of these for some time.Reviewed many and came down to this one....It does exactly what i wanted.How many more yards to go... front of green ... centre... and the back. I do not want to know any more and operating it is simplicity itself
on 29 March 2017
Thankyou.
on 29 December 2015
Amazing!!! Wouldn't play golf without it
on 5 April 2017
Nice to know the distance to the hole
on 23 February 2011
Incredibly impressed with this device.
I have a golf gps on my phone which is very good, but this takes the idea to a new level.
The whole point is that the information is so close by, I look at it before every shot because it's so much easier than getting the phone out of my bag to check yardages, the simplicity of use means you actually use it.
What has surprised me is how much it has helped with the shorter approach shots, before I would rarely think about actual distance, now I check everything over 50 or so yards. This has saved me shots, as I find it much easier to judge the weight of shot when I know the precise distance. Before looking at the watch I will guess what I think it will say, and I am surprised how easy it is to be 10 or 20 yards out. I am find my guesses are getting closer each round, which suggests my judgement is improving as a result.
You do need to charge the watch after each round as the battery life with GPS running is 8 hours, but I don't find this a hardship. I have a USB adapter in the car, so if necessary I can just leave the watch on charge there. Otherwise it lives next to my PC connected via USB so it is always ready to go.
I haven't yet had a need to update the courses as the ones I play have all been there and accurately represented, including what has to be one of the more obscure 9 hole seaside courses in the country, and perhaps more surprisingly the 9 hole par 3 that's attached to my own club.
I would highly recommend this to anyone who is seriously looking to improve their golf.
11 Comment| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2011
If you are buying this product, either for yourself, or as a gift, you MUST make sure that the course you want to play is featured on Garmin's database, or you are going to be very disappointed.One 5 star reviewer has suggested that if your course is not available, all you have to do is tell Garmin and it will be downloaded. That may be true, but you may have to wait several months. Garmin will not tell you what courses will be in the next update. If you live in Scotland, you won't find Blairgowrie,Castle Stuart, Aboyne, Banchory,Boat of Garten,Luffness, Archerfield, Renaissance, for example on the current list. Garmin concede that this device is "still relatively new,and as such still being developed, along with the course list. Whilst we will aim to add as many courses as quickly as possible, it is not possible for every course to be added in one go, as there is a lot of work in creating the course information, taking the measurements and applying it to the device."Hmmm
I have found the charging clip-on connecter to be a bit fiddly too, and you must wait to see the battery symbol light up to ensure that it is charging.
Having said all the above, I still think it is a great gadget and would recommend it.
33 Comments| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2013
purchased in march 2011 for the start of the golf season. very happy with product. stopped using in october and did not use over the winter as a golf watch but used as a pedometer whilst walking or cycling.started using again the next april.
lost all the courses in may and called garmin support who asked me to push a couple of buttons to reset watch and then download s/w, courses again. all was ok for a couple of weeks, then watch started losing charge after 5-6 holes.
eventually could not charge watch. called support who asked me to reset, i queried this as the watch would not switch on to do. advised the reset would work without the watch on. support were very helpful but the only solution as my warranty was over the time was for me to send the watch to them and they would send me refurbished watch for £63 with 3 months warranty.
thanks but no thanks i said i now have no faith in the watch and would not purchase another. placed in the rubbish bin