on 19 March 2017
Excellent item, good quality and ideal for purpose.
on 22 June 2017
had this for a few years now so a good test run! very happy. good quality! no faults.
on 12 July 2012
Just got my tripod. Didn't have the chance to use thoroughly yet, but can comment on package and built. And both are soberb! It's own box is so good I kept it not just for storaging, but also for transportation. And its built feels very solid! Never would I say its such an unexpensive item!

I will try to update this review in a few weeks after I have chances to use it extensively (2 long trips ahead!!).

But so far, very happy with this purchase.

Updating (6 months after buying):
Now that I've used it for 6 months I can say a couple of things about it:

1)it's sturdy.
2) never let me down
3) easy to carry and not heavy, even when carrying for many hours attached to my slimbag 200.

Cons side:

1) does not have spikes to get a firmer grip on earth
2) does not have a hook to put extra weight if needed

Anyway, a good tripod. But for the two flows above, I'm taking a star off.
on 25 September 2013
I bought this elsewhere for use with my camera: Canon PowerShot G12 Digital Camera (High Sensitivity 10 MP, 5x Zoom) 2.8 Inch Vari-angle Purecolor LCD

I love the fact that it's lightweight. It extends to a decent height and feels stable. The quick-release wheel on the grip makes a doddle to change position.

The photo mode allows you to tilt your camera for portrait shots whereas the video mode doesn't allow this. I have used this to shoot video at events without much issue. The only real downside is the lack of a pan-lock that locks the head so you can sweep across the horizon perfectly. This would have made it a five-star product.

I have since moved on to the 70D Canon EOS 70D Body Only Camera - Black (20.2MP) 3.0 inch LCD
What I've now found is that the tripod feels a bit top heavy and there's nothing to allow you to add counterweights (or beanbags) to. The increased weight of the dSLR also means that the ballhead mechanism is too loose and I worry the camera will fall forward or something. So I'm now looking for a replacement.
on 29 April 2012
This is my second Manfrotto tripod. I really like the first but was looking for something slightly different.
The MKC3-H01 is well made and quite sturdy. If you have it fully extended and the centre column up to its highest then it might be a tad less steady, but still very good.

The bit I love is the pan & tilt mechanism and the lock. It's a thumb-wheel! So easy to use and so easy to lock exactly where you want.

There is a little button on the ball joint to change between camera and video-camera. In 'camera' this allows it to swing into portrait where 'video' won't. It's another good and useful feature.

It's quite light and folds down to a nice compact size and fits on the side of the Amazon Basics Backpack for my dSLR perfectly!

My only downside - I forgot I'd looked on Amazon and bought it in a PC shop on offer, but for an extra £17! :'(
At the Amazon price it really is a steal! :-)

Hope you have as much fun as I am . . .
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2014
Many of the negative reviews for this item are based around the use of this tripod for video recording and its ability (or lack of) decent fluid panning, sadly I have to say that this tripod is also a poor tripod for photography I am a professional and do own a selection of high end tripods, Manfrotto geared and ball heads alongside Benro & Manfrotto legs fear not this has far from spoiled me! I still appreciate the concept of good value for money this tripod however is not a good example!

I bought the tripod back in January so I've had plenty of experience in using it. I wanted a decent lightweight tripod for non professional use that could be a replacement for the seriously cheap but not very portable Hama tripod I accidentally left in Vietnam last year, believing it would be a nice compromise between video and photo applications when needed with what appeared to be a half decent ball head.

The biggest negative with this tripod from the perspective of stills photography just as with video is the ball head; if you have a DSLR with ANY weather sealing and a lens added on to that which is anything heavier than a light weight prime, prepare for some serious frustration! Precise framing is next to impossible, you simply cannot lock the head into position firstly the way the head locks in place via a friction wheel on the grip is ridiculous for stills use; when tightening the wheel the framing creeps up and when you think you've finally locked it in position; have a long exposure? An exposure bracket? Then be warned it creeps down with the weight of the camera!! I have used this tripod mostly with crop sensor cameras; a Nikon D7000 with a heavier lens for example; a fixed aperture zoom and the head simply couldn't handle them! I also tested out my 5D MKIII minus the battery grip just for overkill testing to see if I was pushed and had no other choice I could use it, of course I could not.

Besides the poorly designed head the legs are unbelievably flimsy the final extensions are very, very weak under the relatively low weight of a D7000 and a 35mm F1.8 the legs bow and flex, I expect better from manfrotto!

Now I can see the argument coming my way; for this price what did I expect!? Honestly a lot more! The Hama tripod I previously mentioned was slightly larger but cost less than half the price of this tripod, the legs had a lot less flex and the head locked in place!! That tripod looking back was extremely good value for money, granted the head when put in portrait wasn't fantastically strong and couldn't support a full frame body in that position at all but landscape; no problem. And the bottom line is: if needed a landscape frame could be cropped to a portrait composition, at least I could frame precisely and get the exact desired shot and marginally lose quality when cropping this simply isn't an option with the Manfrotto when I look at the reputation they have and the fact that their heads are my go to choice for pro level gear I'm extremely disappointed, hell the Hama had spirit levels, a bag and a hook for adding weights. I would not recommend this tripod for use with anything heavier than a mirror-less or compact camera but most of all it's simply not worth the money.

To replace this I'll be getting a MeFoto Backpacker as its been recommended repeatedly as one of the best travel tripods around.
on 18 August 2014
A wonderful little tripod, this is so compact I have to actually extend the legs a little to make it fit in the tripod holder on my Lowepro Video Fastpack 350. But, that is where the joys of this tripod end really. For me, the convenience of it alone is enough to give it 4 stars, but I do have the following gripes with this.

I thought I would like the head on it, and to be honest I haven't had that many problems with it, certainly nothing major, but the pistol grip can be a bit annoying. The switch to flick it form 'video' mode to 'photo' mode is a bit tricky to use smoothly. The same goes for the locking mechanism; while the idea is great, a wheel built into the grip that you move with your thumb to change the tension from loose to fixed. However, when it starts getting tight it has a tendency to them move itself ever so slightly. Not bad for most shots but a real pain if you have spent ages trying to line up a perfectly composed picture, especially at longer focal length.

Height-wise there are no complaints. The legs only go to one position and the central column isn't reversible, but at its lowest height its still pretty small. With the legs and central column fully extended its about head height (on me anyway). The leg-locks are sturdy enough.
on 18 April 2014
This is my second one of these tripod stands. I love it. It's perfect for my needs, i travel a lot and it's size and weight are ideal. It extends to a very high height, the trigger head is very effective and carries my 60D with 28-135mm lens with no problems, same with the 300mm.

I wish the center piece could turn, so you could lock horizontal pan, and i wish the legs went all the way out for a lower setting, but other than that. I take this tripod everywhere. i lost my old one and replaced it with the exact same one straight away.
I had a certain degree of expectation when ordering this Manfrotto and was looking forward to use it.
Eventually you get what you pay for, and being a Manfrotto, you actually get a bit less as you have to pay for the brand name too.

It really is a pity to see that such a reputable company having to cut costs in order to remain competitive, as this could backfire on the company itself. I have other Manfrotto tripods bought around a decade ago, and whilst they were not cheap, they did not skimp on quality. True, the movie head alone was 3 times the price of this tripod, yet it is made of metal and offers silky smooth action.

Unfortunately, unlike what the name implies, the MKC3 is not very well suited for movies. Movement is rough, with noticeable uneven friction whilst panning. A considerable amount of pressure needs to be applied (via the wheel) to remove lateral movement (when tripod is supposedly locked for panning).

As for photos, I can only risk using my Canon 7D in the horizontal position. Thankfully I have the FZ200 which is light enough for use at 90 degrees tilt. As other users noted the lower section is better left closed in order to avoid tripod movement when there is a breeze. Yet this would result in a 5 foot tripod. Another observation is that the tripod legs can only be extended to one angle, so its either open or closed.

All is not bad though. I like the lightweight and portability of the tripod. The legs are easy to deploy and lock, much better than the screw type. Hence the 3 star rating.

The Manfrotto MKC3 is a budget tripod with some major limitations. I cannot really recommend it unless you really need a lightweight and compact travel tripod.
on 2 March 2013
I used this for a while and liked it, but then one of the leg clamps broke. I tried to buy a replacement, but Manfrotto will not supply single clamps- only a replacement leg at almost the price of the whole tripod. I thought this very poor service.