Style Name: STYLE A|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 December 2010
I was tempted to buy a compact shovel when I saw an all-plastic model in a shop for about £15, thinking the price was reasonable and it would be handy. I decided instead to have a look on-line and saw this model.
It has a steel blade, is very light and easy to assemble. The base of the blade has a pair of notched discs, so you can set the angle of the blade. Twist the handle of the shovel and it pushes against this disc to lock it into position. The handle also folds so when packed away it is no larger than the blade, and comes in a small bag.
Back-breaking work if you did have to dig a car out, because it is quite short, but better than having nothing to use and it fits into a very small space where a full-sized shovel might be too large to store (the smaller sporty cars, for example).

It arrived the day after I ordered it -and with a very nice Christmas chocolate too! Although I can't imagine that would be guaranteed to be in every order.
on 26 May 2011
This AA 'snow' shovel is very similar and almost identical to a Gerber Entrenching Tool.

For the price offered on Amazon UK, i ended up getting 2 of these.

Bought them not only for winter use, but for light duty shovelling for camping, hiking, gardening and as an emergency shovel .

Handle made of tough light weight nylon plastic, shovel blade is coated steel (not sure what type). The connecting rod between handle and steel blade is a rectangular piece of hollow aluminium. Beefy nuts and bolts keep the different parts in one connected piece.

After doing some research, the main noticeable difference between this and the other shovel I mentioned above is the thickness of the aluminium rectangular tube that connects the blade and the handle. The AA shovel's is thinner.

I have no idea if this blade is of the same quality and hardness as the Gerber. But for the price offered here on Amazon, I am not bothered!

The two pivot connection platelets at the center of the shovel blade are WELDED on, as opposed to being riveted as in many other foldable shovels sold here and online. This welded connection is something that's also found on the Gerber E-tool.

My guess is the shovels blades that are found on the AA shovel and the Gerbers come from the same factory. The only difference could be that the heat treatment for these might be done differently and maybe in different countries?

When folded, there's alot of free play at the shovel blade side (at the connection to the aluminium rod). I might add in some plastic shims/washers to remove the rattle/freeplay.

Overall an excellent buy.
Visually A Very High Quality Product.
on 4 December 2010
Shovel:
Very compact, neat design, and lightweight but sturdy.
The shovel which came more closely resembled the Draper design than the photograph, with a collar which you tighten at the blade end of the handle to make the shovel rigid after unfolding. The design also allows you to set the blade at right-angles to the handle so that you can use it as a pick. The blade also has one serrated edge.
It seems sturdy and suitable for use i.e. to clear small areas of ice and snow around the wheels to get your car going. Those wishing to dig large areas of snow should look elsewhere; this is a small implement (approx 48 cm long unfolded, with a 11 cm wide blade) and you'll have to bend down somewhat to use it.

The Kit:
What I actually received (Dec 2010) was an AA Winter Car Kit - not just the shovel. I don't know if this is normal, or whether this was shipped as the result of lack of stock.
The kit contains: Folding shovel, dynamo 3-led torch, High Visibility jacket, Emergency reflective blanket, and carrying case (approx 22cm x 22cm x 6cm).

So, it's pretty good value if this is the normal deal. Just add your own Mars bar.

Kit Minus points:-
The instructions are on the cardboard sleeve which will probably be discarded on first opening the kit. Also, the instructions don't describe how to make the shovel rigid by tightening the collar, which might confuse some people. These are small points, hence 5 stars.

Summary: Very good compact emergency kit - probably small enough to have in the car all year round.
on 16 January 2013
As others have said the shovel doesn't lock in place causing the blade to flip up and trap your hand. Returned.
on 9 March 2012
Returned it back as did not lock properly in place and the locking handle was too tight and difficult to lock and unlock. Maybe mine was a faulty one.
on 6 January 2011
I bought this to sit in the boot of my car so didn't want a huge space filler. I needn't have worried, this shovel folds up and down very easily but is also very strong and sturdy at the same time. Given the recent arctic conditions I feel a bit better for having this in my car.
on 29 December 2011
This item initially looked good myself and my partner bought 2 and even though we tightened the shovel to the correct position the bolts which hold the shovel head in place came off whilst shoveling and were lost in several inches of snow enabling us no longer to dig our cars out of the snow. Therefore I would not reccommend this product.
on 11 April 2015
No snow so used it for bit of gardening out and about.the lock mechanism is v poor so I would try locking mechanisms out on folding shovels before you buy.shovel keeps folding when I put weight on it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 December 2012
I bought this as a gift for someone who works through the night and can find themself coming back to their car in the early hours of the morning before the streets have been warmed.

I am impressed with how little room this will take, even in the box it is very compact about 10"x4"x3". This is the sort of thing you can fit in even a small car - I would imagine it would fit underneath most passenger seats with little difficulty. The shovel head is made of metal with a slightly pointy end and I would say it would be hardy enough to chip away even frozen snow and ice. The handle is made of heavy duty plastic and it all feels very firm to hold. I think it could also be used for camping enthusiasts as it really is a very solid shovel.

I scratched my head a little at the instructions for securing the shovel head and I would imagine this will be the one area that the shovel might fail after protracted use. The other thing worth mentioning is that this shovel is very short. The vast majority of people would have to either kneel down or bend to use it.
on 19 April 2016
Love this product, don't be fooled this is the best time of year to buy one, especially if you think snow could be round the corner. That's when it catches you off-guard, in the spring and summer months your not expecting it. Could be good to bury stuff also, bodies etc, I suppose you could do some gardening with it, then simply fold it back down and squeeze into you Man bag, rucksack or handbag, unless you need to destroy it as it could be used as evidence! would recommend.