Top positive review
60 people found this helpful
A decent player for the price, but with drawbacks
on 10 July 2013
If like me you want a simple music player that is neither microscopic nor expensive, this is a decent choice. I give it 4 stars.
But be aware of the following negatives:
1. It doesn't remember what you were playing last time you used it. You have to navigate the menu every time. This is annoying for music and very annoying for audiobooks. It DOES remember all your settings (volume, shuffle, EQ, etc) so why it can't also remember what song you were playing is beyond me.
2. The SD card works well (I have a fully loaded 16GB card) but does NOT integrate with the artist/album/genre listings. Only songs in the internal memory appear in these. Personally I don't care because choosing songs from a folder works better anyway - I keep all my music on the SD card in artist/album folders and don't bother with the internal memory at all (wish I'd bought the cheaper 4GB model in fact). The shuffle function DOES work with SD card content.
3. The key functions and navigation is not very obvious and takes some getting used to.
4. It's slightly slow to respond when you press the keys, and there is a delay of several seconds when you play a song from a SD card with thousands of files on it.
6. The screen is hard to read in sunshine, needs shading with your hand. Sansa Clip is much more visible, but its screen is far too small I think. At least this one has a screen the right size.
7. It is reasonably well constructed but fairly light and plasticy as you would expect at this price. I use it in the car and I think its adequately well made for that (time will tell), but if you're going to carry it around a lot it will need a case.
8. I was pleased to see a dedicated sliding on/off switch. Just like in the good old days. But then found I have to hold down a key for 3 seconds as well, to make it actually come on. This arrangement is strange and not as useful as a 'hold' switch, which is missing.
A few of the good points:
1. Adequate volume. Louder than the Sansa Clip.
2. Decent sound quality and some useful EQ settings.
3. It DOES charge and play at the same time. When you plug in the charger while playing, it switches off and shows a charging screen. But then you can switch it on again and charge and play simultaneously. Bizarre, but it works.
4. Quick start-up even with fully loaded 16GB SD card
5. You can just copy and paste your music folder onto the SD card. No need for special bloatware (e.g. itunes). Then use the SD card anywhere, not only in this player. Very convenient.
6. You can play Tetris while listening to music. Woo-hoo!
7. Good battery life.