on 10 July 2013
If like me you want a simple music player that is neither microscopic nor expensive, this is a decent choice. I give it 4 stars.

But be aware of the following negatives:
1. It doesn't remember what you were playing last time you used it. You have to navigate the menu every time. This is annoying for music and very annoying for audiobooks. It DOES remember all your settings (volume, shuffle, EQ, etc) so why it can't also remember what song you were playing is beyond me.
2. The SD card works well (I have a fully loaded 16GB card) but does NOT integrate with the artist/album/genre listings. Only songs in the internal memory appear in these. Personally I don't care because choosing songs from a folder works better anyway - I keep all my music on the SD card in artist/album folders and don't bother with the internal memory at all (wish I'd bought the cheaper 4GB model in fact). The shuffle function DOES work with SD card content.
3. The key functions and navigation is not very obvious and takes some getting used to.
4. It's slightly slow to respond when you press the keys, and there is a delay of several seconds when you play a song from a SD card with thousands of files on it.
6. The screen is hard to read in sunshine, needs shading with your hand. Sansa Clip is much more visible, but its screen is far too small I think. At least this one has a screen the right size.
7. It is reasonably well constructed but fairly light and plasticy as you would expect at this price. I use it in the car and I think its adequately well made for that (time will tell), but if you're going to carry it around a lot it will need a case.
8. I was pleased to see a dedicated sliding on/off switch. Just like in the good old days. But then found I have to hold down a key for 3 seconds as well, to make it actually come on. This arrangement is strange and not as useful as a 'hold' switch, which is missing.

A few of the good points:
1. Adequate volume. Louder than the Sansa Clip.
2. Decent sound quality and some useful EQ settings.
3. It DOES charge and play at the same time. When you plug in the charger while playing, it switches off and shows a charging screen. But then you can switch it on again and charge and play simultaneously. Bizarre, but it works.
4. Quick start-up even with fully loaded 16GB SD card
5. You can just copy and paste your music folder onto the SD card. No need for special bloatware (e.g. itunes). Then use the SD card anywhere, not only in this player. Very convenient.
6. You can play Tetris while listening to music. Woo-hoo!
7. Good battery life.
33 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 March 2011
Unlike some other reviews for this small, managable player, in my view its a great little player. I take it out walking the dog and find it easy to locate my music. Also putting things onto the player was so easy and you have easy sections of files which you can locate the exact thing your looking for ie music, film, photos.to me this is a great bit of kit at a great price.
22 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 July 2011
got this for my wife and she is so happy with its ease of use she walks around listerning to music & book items i have downloaded for her.
the earphones she says are really comfoertable.
would recomend this to any one thinking of buying a mp3 player.
on 21 September 2014
After spending a good 6 hours trying to get this product to work I have finally given up and am awaiting a return slip. I accept that there are many good reviews for this product but as someone who is fairly computer literate, I now really hate this product. Initially it accepted 4 albums synced with Windows Media player but while the file names appeared on the device, it would not play these unprotected WMA files (one of the accepted file types). It would not allow me to delete them either, you could delete them form the folder while the USB was attached but they would then reappear when you turned the Evo back on. I then tried to sync more music in both MP3 and WMA formats, none of which worked and then dragged and dropped them onto the Evo drive on My Computer as you would a USB stick but when turning the Evo on again, they would not appear. I think I have spent enough time trying to get this unit to work and will be looking for something else as I now have an 9 year old daughter who bought it with her own birthday money in tears. I'm not sure if I have a faulty unit or if my PC is set up in some way which is incompatible with the Evo but as every other music device (I have 4), camera (I have 6) and USB memory stick / Memory card (I have over 30) works fine, I can only come to the conclusion the Evo is at fault.
UPDATE 30.10.14.
It's now 6 weeks since the Evo went back and ARC have taken approximately 3 weeks to check there PO BOX (which they insist it be returned to) and another 3 weeks without actually crediting me back due to a "Technical problem". I have now had to go through Amazon's complaints procedure nearly 8 weeks after first ordering this product. Currently I am without product or refund. I get the impression, when the Evo works, it is a nice little unit, a bit "plasticky" but my daughter liked the look of it and it seemed to work well with the first few songs pre-installed on it. If you get a faulty one however, ARC will respond to your e-mails but take forever to get to a resolution. Certainly my most disappointing Amazon purchase experience in the last 4 years of using them.
UPDATE Nov 14.
Finally gave up on getting money back from ARC so put claim in through AMAZON and as usual, the issue was resolved in a few days. Money now back on my credit card but no thanks to ARC who seem to delay things to the point where many people might just give up.
on 16 June 2011
I HAVE HAD A FEW MP3 PLAYERS,THIS ONE IS THE BEST ,IT'S LIGHT,SLIM AND EASY TO NAVIGATE ALSO EASY TO TRANSFER FILES ,THE CHARGING DOCK IS CLEAN ,THE SCREEN IS CLEAR . I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANY ONE LOOKING TO BUY
ROSS
on 2 June 2012
Impressed with this tiny toy and it's musical capabilities. Good sound and perfomance for such a lightweight and small product. Not quite sure why they bother with video on such a teensie tiny screen and the photo function is similarly useless (as are the earphones supplied). But the great storage size and sound quality at this price make up for the unnecessary gimmicks.
on 19 September 2012
These are based on only using this device as a music player

Pros:

1) Good quality sound
2) Plenty of storage & expandable
3) Cheap to buy
4) Not a touch screen (there is not much choice in the market if you don't want a touch screen)
5) Not reliant on file tagging for navigation - can navigate to specific folders - plays non-tagged files

Cons

1) Screen hard to navigate in daylight
2) Locks up intermittently and needs resetting
3) Cheaply made - probably won't last a long time

I recommend that you buy a good protective case for the player. It has a few issues but, it has good functionality and is so reasonably priced, that it is worth getting to see if it meets your needs.
on 29 June 2012
I wanted an mp3 player to replace my beloved Archos Gmini 2Gb which finally died this year. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because my Blackberry phone has an mp3 player however I don't want to knock or drop that because it's much more expensive to replace than the Kubik Evo. So I was looking for an inexpensive mp3 player with a good amount of storage both built-in and expandable.
The player is small and light, fairly plastic in construction (nothing like the metal case of the Gmini)and rather quirky. The sequence of button presses to move through the menus can be counter-intuitive and annoying to master but, once done, it's fairly easy. If you want to play music using the Directory instead of just the music program, it can take eight or more clicks before you finally reach your goal which is rather a nuisance.
The one thing I don't like about this player is the screen. Even at maximum brightness, I can only read it indoors - once I'm out-of-doors, even on a dull or cloudy day, the screen is not viewable enough to navigate.
So overall, I'm giving it three stars because, even with better navigation and a much better screen, it would probably be four star at most.
on 12 June 2012
Bought two of these as Christmas presents and neither have lasted 6 months (and haven't been overly used). Worst thing about this is that repeated attempts to contact Kubik customer services for some help have gone unanswered, which all in all is pretty rubbish really!
on 4 May 2012
Well worth the money it cost. It functions exactly as it should, so if your looking for something to simply play music then i highly recommend it. The ebook reader on it is almost useless though, considering you can barely get a sentence on it. But overall the sound is great and even though the navigation is wierd at first you soon get used to it. Also, everytime you switch the player off and then on again it always resets back to the main menu, which can be a bit irritating, but something you can live with; it's much better paying £30 for a player rather than £80-£120 when it performs the same function.Kubik Evo 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - White