Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 20 June 2004
I have just sent this book as a present to my nephew. I remember spending hours reading it on summers days in my bedroom as a child. This totally captivated my imagination then and I can't think of many books that made more impact. The story has been described to death but the depth of imagination involved and the historic significance can't be overlooked. Loved it!
on 9 February 2010
This was a great book that both my children really enjoyed, boy 6, girl 8. Bedtime is the usual nightmare!! in my house but I have to admit that I have taken to read them both the same book at the same time by sitting outside on the landing and the story was so fascinating that I would say "come on bed time and let see was Stig is up to" and they would both run up the stairs to continue the adventure. I worried maybe it might be more boy than girl but to be honest it suitable for any child with an imagination. Well written and easy to read and understand it had everything a child needs in it, adventure, new friend, mischief, silly and funny all rolled into one. If you are reading this to your children, you will enjoy it too.

PS reading on the landing is a great idea they both love the stories and it means that you routine is done in half the time. I hear the kids chatting about the book during the day too, which is novel for mine two.
on 1 August 2010
This is the fantastically imaginative story of a boy who finds and befriends a cave-boy who is living in amonst the rubbish in a woodland dump. I read this with my 6 year old tom-boy daughter and she absolutely loved it. It's really well paced and has enough adventure and mystery to keep the pages turning and it had her begging for 'just one more page!'. Often the books I remember from my childhood seem dated and odd to the current generation but this book just feels timeless. It even seems on-the-ball with Stig's 're-use and recycle' lifestyle! I'd recommend it to absolutley anyone.
on 2 February 2002
The recent television adaptation will have renewed interest in this book which was first published in 1963. It is a charming tale of a unique friendship. Although Barney and Stig have very different lives and speak different languages, they still learn a lot from one another. This is a timeless message for everyone. Whilst attitudes and lifestyle may have changed in some ways since the book was first published, the attitudes of children towards adventures can still be appreciated. This book is firmly set in a believeable context but also contains elements of fantasy (for example Stig himself). It is the way these fit together so well that provides much of the charm. Quite simply Barney is in need of a friend and finds his friend Stig in perhaps the most unlikely place. His families' relative lack of curiosity about Stig allows for many of the advetures Stig and Barney undertake together. Barney believes in Stig and really that is all that matters. I would recommend this book to every reader of all ages. First having been read it when I was very young and now discovering it again.
on 18 April 2012
This book is about a boy called Barney who is staying at his granny's house, and falls down a chalk pit and comes down upon the dump and through the roof of a caveman's house or den - Stig's. Together Stig and Barney have lots of adventures including going hunting, coming face to face with a cheetah that escaped from the zoo and also adding things to Stig's den for the better.
I really enjoyed this book - it was funny, adventurous and brilliant in lots of ways. I'm 9 and a half and I really liked it and I think readers from the age of 7-11 years old (more boys than girls, but they'll like it too) will thoroughly enjoy it just as much as me.
on 23 October 2010
A brilliant, funny,story for the car/at home/anywhere which is genuinely entertaining for adults as well as kids (any age above 3/4). I'd always enjoyed this story of Barney discovering a cave-boy living in the local rubbish dump but hearing it re-told by Tony Robinson made me love it even more. I've not always been a fan of Tony Robinson but he tells this so well with excellent impersonations - distracted Granny, local scruffs the Snarget brothers and the posh lady who holds a party for all the local children only to discover an escaped leopard from the circus has joined the party.
The final chapter is really affecting - Barney and his sister find themselves transported back to Stig's time. It's more mysterious and atmospheric but still rivetting.
We've listened to this as a family over and over again from when the children were 3/4 or so upwards. It's still making us smile now they're 7,10 and 12 and even when they fall asleep in the back of the car we let the CD play on as it's just so good. Suitable for boys and girls Enjoy.Stig of the Dump (Puffin Audiobooks)
on 3 March 2003
This book truly deserves to be rated as a modern classic.
It has everything, humour, wonderful descriptions from a child's point of view, a cracking concept and a great storyline.
This book is a sure-fire way to introduce a child into reading for themselves - walk them through the first chapter and they will be so captivated they will read the rest themselves or burst in the attempt.
Highly recommended - I would give it 5 stars but for the fact it is a little dated and some of the concepts would be lost on a modern child. Nevertheless it deserves at least 4½ stars.
Imagine falling in a disused quarry, now a rubbish dump (exciting enough in itself) but to find yourself confronted by a real live cave-boy, somehow transported 25,000 years forward in time. Stig (the cave boy) cannot speak (of course) in more than a few grunts, but that's not a problem, kids don't need spoken language to communicate. He is ingenious, brave and resourceful. The two of them get up to a whole heap of adventures culminating in a trip back in time one hot summer night to see Stigs tribe.
Read it and enjoy .. you won't be disappointed!
on 20 January 2004
This abridged audio CD version of Clive King's classic is marvellously read by Tony Robinson (of 'Blackadder' fame). My only complaint is about the cheap incidental music which separates the episodes, but I imagine most children would not be concerned about this.
I first came across 'Stig' over 35 years ago, and it's still as magical to me. For me, Stig is defined by the Edward Ardizzone illustrations, one of which is retained for the cover of the CD.
For most of the story, Barney has a series of improbable experiences with his caveman friend, and is never pressed by his sister or grandparents to reveal the Stig he so openly discusses. In the final episode of the tale, Barney and his sister are somehow transported to prehistoric times, and although we come unexpectedly close to '2001 - a Space Odyssey' territory, Clive King's narrative makes this magical departure believable.
The very end of the story, with Stig returning to the 20th century and becoming a petrol pump attendant, is the weakest aspect, adn I'm not surprised that some TV adaptations have chosen other endings.
Tony Robinson really brings the story to life, creating a wonderful array of children's voices from all social classes. Thoroughly recommended.
on 13 January 2008
Barney stays with his grandmother and his sister, Lou, for the holidays. In the holidays Barney goes to the chalk pit where he first meets Stig on a very hot day! The problem is that nobody believes Stig is real until they see him. Lou, sees Stig one night when the two of them (Lou and Barney) go out and see a strange tribe of cave people. Barney spots Stig ad introduces him to Stig and the two of them become Honoured Guests at the celebration. Another time, Stig frightens her and she assumes that it is really Barney because they were going to a fancy dress party as, Lou a puma and him a cave man. Stig and Barney become heroes when they stop thieves from stealing from his grandmothers house and they recover the other treasures that the robbers took. Snargets are the roughest boys in town but when Stig takes the youngest Snarget, little Robin Hood, the other two turn as timid as kittens. They give Stig and Barney three gifts which they share. First they give some jelly babies and Stig likes them, second the give sherbets with liquorice straws which stig loves and last they give a packet of cigarettes which barney totally despises! I liked the bit when Barney fell through the roof of Stig's home at the first meeting and even though the two of them didn't understand each other much they were great friends! I would rate this book about 9/ 10 and I think that 9 - 12 year old would like it a lot if they like adventurous stories.
on 12 March 2007
I first read this book in school back in 1976 and really loved it. The story is about a small boy who goes to play in a chalk quarry near his grandmother's house and befriends a cave-man 'Stig' who lives there. They make a home for Stig about of sticks, stones and bottles and have various adventures. It really fascinated me then, and it's still interesting and funny today. I also loved the pen illustrations by Edward Ardizzone who was a gifted prize-winning illustrator of many childrens' books. Well worth reading. reminds me a bit of ET.