Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 April 2017
Good value for money CD with some of the Yardbirds popular tunes to enjoy!
on 12 April 2017
Great cd
on 30 April 2017
great band
on 14 September 2012
What a bargain: 40 tracks over 2 CDs with nicely designed, slip case packaging and informative booklet for a fiver - including postage! Disc 1 kicks off with the pop hits (For Your Love etc.) then bounces through the R'n'B Clapton epoch (Smokestack Lightning etc.) to the psyche Beck era (Nazz are Blue etc.). Disc 2 picks up where 1 left off and includes the brief, twin guitar period of Beck and Page (Stroll On etc.). I've docked it a star for 2 reasons: there's nowt from the Page only rock time (White Summer etc.), the band subsequently becoming The New Yardbirds and thence Led Zeppelin and both copies I've had were creased on the slip case, so this could be common. Still a great intro to this important 60s group, though.
on 4 July 2011
This is R & B and Psych music from 1964 - 1967, total 2 hours and 40 tracks.
Disc 1 is off to a flier with For Your Love, Heart Full Of Soul, Evil Hearted You and Shapes Of Things, however the production on the latter is less than great.
Good Morning School Girl and Got To Hurry, a blues instrumental from Eric Clapton, really stand out, but not everything else, although a live Too Much Monkey Business is good.
Disc 2, here Over Under Sideways Down also suffers from some lack of production quality, while Mister You're A Better Man Than I is interesting and Still I/m Sad has good harmonies.
I prefer the Psych stuff and this is maybe about one third of the total songs, but why not give it a try yourself?
on 12 August 2013
12. Jeff's Boogie
13. Train Kept A-Rollin'
14. Here 'Tis
15. Lost Women
16. Smokestack Lightning [Live] - (live)
17. Jeff's Blues

16. Mr Zero
17. Honey in Your Hips
18. Sweet Music
19. Steeled Blues
20. Louise [Live] - (live)
on 28 July 2014
A comprehensive selection of Yardbirds tracks but the version of Got to Hurry is one of the alternative takes and not the Clapton showcase released as a B side in the UK. The production values are not brilliant but for the occasional reminder of just how much I used to enjoy the Yardbirds records as they were first released and the atmosphere of their live shows, this collection does the trick. Particularly look out for Jeff Beck's outstanding version of Guitar Boogie, suitably retitled.
on 21 January 2016
Beck, Clapton and Page were all here.
They were always worth a listen as far as I was concerned - commercial R and B but without venturing into pop. 'Best of' means all the hits plus a few other well known songs - 40 tracks in all so what's not to like. I'm not certain I like them enough to buy all their (60's) recordings - so this is fine.
Here we have yet another first-rate release from budget label Music Club Deluxe. I was only initially familiar with a handful of songs by 1960s rock band The Yardbirds, so this double CD collection naturally introduced me to a whole lot more.

With a nice front cover, good inlay picture, a booklet with a Yardbirds biography by mod-culture expert Dean Rudland, and 40 tracks, two of which are live recordings, this is an excellent package which offers very good value for money.

If you are looking for an extensive collection or a generous taste of these guys music, I recommend that you purchase this set straight away. Not only does it contain all of their British hits, including 'Heart Full of Soul' and 'Shapes of Things', but the work of all three of the group's guitarists, of whom were none other than Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page.

All that's left to say is thanks for the cool music lads, this is some of the most addictive, vintage R&B and psychedelic rock I've heard in a long time.
on 1 November 2012
One thing that is irksome about a great company and products of Amazon ,like CD's especially is this=
WHY has Amamzon STOPPED giving a track list on their CD's (certainly on the ones that I buy,anyway!!) I have bought Compilations and Greatest Hits only to find their "greatest hit" or my fav greatest hit is NOT on the CD as there was no track listing and I assumed it would be (bad mistake assuming).
It has happened recently with Heinz Greatest(missing off "Questions I cant answer") and Small Faces "Hey Girl" all because I didnt have a track list to refer to as record labels rarely put ALL the Band's Greatest on one Album (Its a ploy!) so that you buy them all to get all!! If I remember when I selected THIS CD I am reviewing there was no listing and I took pot luck as I really liked the Yardbirds back in the 60s and it was a good price. Keith Relf was an excellent singer ( he died at 33) and a great front man to this Blues/Rock and Pop. It also had Eric Clapton (Pre-Cream)and Jimmy Page (Pre-Led Zepplin) in the band.

It is a double album so you do get quality AND Quantity. Its a fine album by a fine very underated band in their day. All the hits are here(I took pot-luck when I bought this)and they had 7 hits,their biggest hit being "Heart full Of Soul"( No 2in june 65). Their smallest hit being "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" (no 44 in Nov 64) Which is quite a good pop song but not a big hit and sandwiched between that and " Happening ten years time ago" (43-Oct 66) there is "For your love" No3 (which has some great bongos/tom toms on it)
"Evil hearted you" (No 3 65) "Shapes of Things" (No3 66) "Over under sideways down" (No10 66)
All told there were 7 hits and they are all here on these 2 Cds. Jeff Becks Instrumental "Jeffs Blues" is a great blues track. In fact the whole 40 tracks on these 2 Cds are all worth listening to including the Keith Relf Solo hit" Mr Zero"
I would give this a 5star rating without a doubt and recommend. Its feel good factor music for the Soul!!