Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 25 October 2016
It's been 10 years since I first watched this show, and I remembered loving it, so I bought the boxed set to re-watch. It didn't disappoint! In fact, I think I enjoyed it more the second time around. The cast is amazing, especially Rosie. Nobody could play that part better than Dawn French! And I love anything that Sue Johnston is in. Throw in David Mitchell, Sally Philips, Simon Farnaby, Joanna Lumley, Jennifer Saunders (the writer of this show), and Rosie Cavaliero, and you've got one of the best comedic cast ensembles ever! I love how Jennifer Saunders' character, 'Caroline', is always confusing sexual terms for common activities - like when she says she's going "dogging" (walking the dogs), or that after dinner she enjoys "rimming" (running your finger 'round the rim of wine glasses to make music). Lol.
If you haven't seen this show, I HIGHLY recommend it. The second series is the best of the lot, but it's all very enjoyable to watch.

- A fan in Canada
on 4 November 2016
I didn't see this series when it was on TV, simply because I no longer watch TV!! But, I'd heard about it, and it has some great actors in it so I thought I'd buy it and try it. I loved it. Laugh out loud moments, but with some sad moments and some 'cringe' moments! I have given it 5 stars, but I did find the last episode a bit of a let down. It was like it had just been thrown together in 5 minutes. Dawn French is a main character, you see a lot of her, and if you don't like her, you will struggle with this, because she acts the same in this as she always does! Sue Johnstone is brilliant, as always. You don't see much of Joanna Lumley, just bits in each episode (except the last), but she is the one character who really made me laugh out loud. Sometimes it was hard to hear some of the characters, due to what has become 'normal' mumbling speech. A good buy though all in all, and if you need a bit of a cheer-up on a wet day, this might just do the trick. If you know a 'group' of ladies, you will certainly recognise all the characters!
on 7 June 2017
I loved this show,, and to me it was much better than many tv comedies that go on for years. I have no idea why on earth the BBC axed it ! Idiots. It had a stellar cast, and gentle humour, but with great pathos and warmth for the characters. I first saw it when it came out, but am re-watching it now, and I am even more impressed with the show. I agree with other reviewers that the mad Lumley character was much missed - probably one of the most laugh out loud characters, along with Rosie. If I could go back in time, I would go back to the meeting when some (probably yound and dim) tv executive thought it was a good idea to axe this, and ram a block of cheese against his head ! When were they ever going to get such a great cast together again !
on 9 April 2016
I absolutely adore this show...it's by far one of the funniest programs I have ever seen. Dawn French is hysterical as Rosie/Margret as are the other members of the guild! The characters have a very ffamiliar feel to them, I'm sure we all know some of these in real life. The script is funny and well written. I've rewatched this set a dozen times since buying it and would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys good old english humor. The only drawback I have is that there aren't any more episodes! I wish the show had continued beyond series 3. The boxset doesn't have many special features, however the christmas special is included :)
on 24 February 2014
This show was a slow burner for me. I first watched it in when it came out and don't remember being wowed, but recently this has been on repeat on the 'Drama' channel, I was very impressed, and bought the box set to catch up.

Quite frankly, I can't believed I missed the point of this show at the time - the writing (from Jennifer Saunders and Abi Wilson) is brilliant and the cast (led by Sue Johnston, who could pick up an Olivier for a school play) are superb.

Jam and Jerusalem is funny and warm in equal measure. It's not often laugh out loud funny, just tickles you (a lot), but when it is really funny it's really, really funny (really). The most amusing character is Rosie, played by Dawn French. Rosie has mental health issues (to put it mildly) many of which involved hearing the voice of her evil alter ego, Margaret. Amazingly this is dealt with again by both humour (Rosie is hilarious) and warmth (in how the other characters accept and deal with Rosie's issues).

Whether you live in a village or a town, there are characters here that you'll recognise, and most importantly, see a bit of yourself in.

A huge shame that Jam and Jerusalem was cancelled by the BBC, or as Jennifer Saunders herself puts it 'the thumbs down from some BLANK* in a meeting'.

*I did original write out the blank in full, but Amazon didn't publish it. Oops. I wasn't just being prudish...
on 1 January 2015
J and J is superb. Relentlessly funny, Acted well by all concerned and generously supported by the good folk of North Tawton where it was made. It helps to know the place and be familiar with devon country ways I guess (I have lived in the county 27 years now and I still get treated like someone from another planet). This set is good value and should find you in stitches once you get into the stride of what is and isn't going on.

Go on -- buy it, -- y'know y'want to . . . . Go on go on.
on 13 May 2013
I don't remember this coming on television but I'm so glad I caught up with this now. Depsite the sugary-looking cover and soppy name, this is very adult humour delivered by a myriad cast of some of Britain's most famous and talented tv comedians. I'm very pleasantly surprised - this is a comedy gem.
on 17 December 2010
Fabulously written and beautifully perfomed this gentle comedy has the feel good factor. Revolving around a group of women in a local village, the storylines explore their differences and similarities, but ultimately show that the bond of friendship is stronger than anything. Definitely one to watch when you need to lift your spirits and feel the world is a good place. The whole cast shine.You will laugh and cry- sometimes at the same time- but you will feel a warm glow when its finished that makes you want to see it all over again
on 9 April 2016
I wish they would bring this back ! A very gentle dramedy, with some laugh out loud moments and a lovely cast of characters played by many familiar, talented faces. A shame that Joanna Lumley was only in the first series - her batty, posh biddy was hilarious. Jennifer Saunders plays a lesser (but very good) role, than Dawn French, who is as brilliant as ever - funny but also occasionally poignant, which can be said about the whole production.,
on 8 December 2014
This really is amongst Jennifer Saunders' finest work, with some amazing performances from some of our best loved actresses. I love anything with Sue Johnston in, but her portrayal of the lovable Sal is my all time favourite. We could all do with a Sal in our lives!
We got this box set last December and it made my Christmas - I couldn't stop watching it and had done all three series by the 28th! If you are even thinking about buying this, then just do it - it is wonderful and will have you laughing, smiling and occasionally crying, but always feeling warm and glad that you found Jam and Jerusalem. I only wish I could watch it for the first time again. Thank you Jennifer - this is one of the best things you have ever done and I love it.