on 24 September 2010
I have fine wavy hair that goes flat if it's more than a few inches long. I tried blow drying it different ways, but this is a lot easier to use and the effect is much better.
I was afraid of the difficulty of getting it work well, after all in the video only the easiest part of the head is done. Luckily this is not a problem. When using it, I don't really have to see what I'm doing. I only crimped a few times on the back of my head, didn't even do it twice as shown in the video, only once near the roots. On the sides it is easier to follow a pattern, but I don't think it is really important. I just have to make sure I don't crimp any parts that will be visible. All in all, I was surprised how much volume it created after using it so haphazardly. An unexpected benefit I found is that I don't have to wash my hair every day if I use this. Who would have thought?

Update 4 months after my original review:
I still use this every other day, right after washing and quickly drying my hair. It takes about 2 minutes. I tried to go without it a few times, but my hair looks so much worse, that I just MUST keep using it. I'm afraid I'm addicted... On the plus side, I haven't noticed any damaging on my hair, and I haven't had it cut since August. Without pumping my hair up, by now I'd look awful and would have had to have it cut. So it was a good investment, already paid for itself.
55 comments| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2012
I bought this product 2 years ago and when I first started to use it, I LOVED IT. I am a massive fan of big hair and this gave me such fantastic volume, I instantly fell in love with it. It was quick and easy to use and was fab for the price. The volune lasted amazing (right through to the next wash). I was so in love with it I added it to my morning routine every day or every other day. For 3-4 months it was fantastic and I hadn't noticed any damage.

One day after washing my hair I noticed there seemed to be a small patch of har by my ear that had broken off to about 2 inches in length. I was confused and decided that I must have accidentally shaved it off as I am so clumsy and always brushing myhair back from my face. But the patch grew and then the same thing happened to the other side of my hair. There was onl one explanation. The length of thebhair was the xact same length as the Babyliss root boost after 2 rows of crimps. The hair that I had been using it on everyday for the poast 3-4 months had jst given u (hir grows about 0.5 inches a month, so the new hair I had started using it on when I purchased the product had dealt with it every timeit was used). Aded to this, over the next few months as I lost mroe andmore, the only hair that I lost, was that which I had use theroot boost on. My top layers were absolutely fine. 2 years on and my hair has grown back (though I still need to wait another year to have the originl length back), but the whole experience was horrible. I was worried I wouldlose all of my hair and I regret so much using the root boost to the extent that I did. Yes, the results are fantasic, inthe short term, but in the long term, if you use thi product everyday/every other day, I would say you rally need to try your best to wean yourself off it.

My hair has always dealt with straightners and it sll grows and I coniditon with good prducts. This was the newest hair (and not straightned because of the root boost use) that broke off, so it was not to do with straightners.

Please, BE CAREFUL with this product. It can cause EXTREME DAMAGE. Yes, use it on the odd occassion for an event, but please don't use it everyday; no matter how fabulus it makes you look and feel.
on 9 September 2010
I have never wrote a review before. I have very fine hair and have tried every lotion and potion to give me some root lift, i have never found a product which has worked. I bought the root boost last week and have found it really does give root lift which lasts even till the next day.

I am very pleased with this product.
on 18 December 2015
Great accessory if you want more volume in your hair. It's easy to use and the effects last a day or two in between washes. If you follow my 5 steps to fuller hair using this accessory I'm sure you'll find it easy enough to achieve.
1. wash hair with a volume boosting shampoo, towel dry
2. spray on an amplifying spray at your roots all over
3. Blow dry, lift & brush hair from root during this & turn head upside down at end for an extra blast with hairdryer
4. Use BaByliss Root Boost, in close to head and under the very top layer (instructions in with product)
5. Straighten edges of hair and fringe if necessary with straighteners & spray on a little hairspray et voila - big hair!
on 31 August 2010
I have fine hair and straighten it which can leave it a bit flat. I saw this product and thought it was a great idea but probably wouldn't work, or the crimps would really show. I decided to buy it though, and I'm delighted with it - the crimps are tiny so even when they show you can't really tell, but if you straighten your hair then just crimp through the roots lower down, the difference is amazing. There isn't a heat proof mat or bag in the box, but they are so thin they fit with my straighteners in their bag. Definitely recommend for people with fine hair.
on 4 December 2010
How many times have I blow dried my hair, head hanging upside down, curled my hair, slept in rollers (euk), applied fixing gel, mousse, hairspray - then after half an hour my hair is back to being flat with ears poking through mmm......................

I've had very long hair, short hair, layers, a bob, feathered etc etc - but if your hair is fine and flat there is absolutely nothing that will give it that volume - unless you plump for a perm, the shaved look, permanently tie it up or fix it rigid with hair spray (which doesn't move in a force 10 gale) mmm.........

This root booster is really brilliant. Crimp the roots only in layers, back, sides and top, leaving the outer layers untouched, and I find my style stays in ALL DAY!!! For a special 'do', I spend time doing many layers, but for a quick boost I just do one or two underneath layers. Doesn't take long. Also the wind hasn't managed to blow away the fullness yay!!

I find the cord length fine - helps to be positioned near a socket.

Don't think this would work on thick wavy hair (probably the weight of thick hair would make it flat, though you could try crimping smaller sections maybe?), and anyway why would you if your hair is thick and wavy? God please give ME thick wavy hair.......

Yes it probably would dry your hair out if used everyday, but use heat styling products to protect your hair, or just do your hair on special days.

My only problem? - I burnt my ear ha!!! Perhaps I'll next opt for a ear pinning op ...... :-)

Great gadget - absolutely a must for fine flat hair.

VINE VOICEon 1 June 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These dinky little crimpers are quite fiddly to use but do give you extra volume if you need it. The idea is that you section away the top layer of your hair, then crimp the lower layers, near the crown. These 'crimps' hold the hair slightly away from the scalp so that when you let the top section of your hair down again, it gives the appearance of more hair and added volume. Watch the video tutorial!
I found the crimpers a bit of a faff to use, I must admit - all that clipping up, for starters, and worrying that the crimps I put in at the back of my hair would be visible. I've found the Babyliss Big Hair tool much more efficient and would choose to use that over the RootBoost crimper any day. Still, this is a nice piece of kit, and does the trick, although takes a bit of practice.
on 8 January 2012
I was quite sceptical about this product. Espeially after reading the 1-star reviews. My hair is long and heavy and at the same time it's fine and very, VERY straight. Most of the time it looks very flat and no products I ever used managed to put much volume into it. At least not for long. Therefore I couldn't wait to try this crimper and I used it straight after the postman delivered it! :) I washed my hair, dried it the ususal way and followed instructions from youtube in how to use it. I took a "before" and "after" picture and I was amazed! It looked like I had twice as much hair! All my friends noticed the difference and complimented me on how great my hair looks. But most of all it made me feel very good about my looks so if you are considering buying this product - just get it! It is brilliant.
VINE VOICEon 14 November 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to admit, I'm stunned. I really honestly didn't think this would work. I have what my grandmother charmingly referred to as nine hairs and a nit and, since I started to straighten my hair it's as flat as a pancake. I had images in my head of walking along the road, the wind catching my hair and whipping it up in the air to reveal a layer of crimping!

In actual fact, the crimps are so narrow and on such a small area of your head, right next to the roots that it's impossible to see them. I had a bit of a fight with it at first until I realised that it was better to straighten your hair, then crimp underneath instead of the other way round (crimping first means you spend half your time re-crimping the flat bits that you straightened after they were initially crimped! Frustrating and very time consuming...)

So when I looked in the mirror, half of me expected to see absolutely no difference whatsoever, and the other half of me expected a Dynasty-esque bouffant effect. In fact it was neither. This crimper gives just a nice little bit of volume without it looking ridiculous. It'll take a bit of practise to get to grips with it, as it still makes my morning routine a good bit longer but that will improve in time and is well worth the effort.
on 18 December 2010
For me I found this product worrying to say the least, I can see breakage of the hair problems in the future ( I am a trained haidresser ) I would imagine that using this crimper occasionally wouldn't do much harm, but if your'e a young person whose tempted to use them excessively then I expect that the damage to your hair could be quite nasty, basically you're crimping your hair with tiny little crimps right next to your roots and obviously the product has to be quite hot it's not too bad when ends are damaged because you can trim them off, but next to the roots is too close for comfort !! I've got rid of mine losing £9 in the process.