1,147

VINE VOICEon 11 August 2010
Excellent value kit. Will pay for itself after a few uses. The main piece for link removal is the blue tray with a screw pin to push out or push back the link pins - easy to use (there are demos on YouTube). But it includes all manner of tools from tweezers, screwdrivers, pin tools, knife, watch back remover, toffee hammer etc and they are all well made. This is not a cheap plasticky kit that last a few uses. A genuine bargain!
11 comment| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2010
Considering the price (IRO 7 GBP) this is good value for money - as long as you are not expecting top end products i.e. the materials used are soft and tools poorly manufactured, you should be happy. Definitly only for occasional use, the strap pin removal tool will be ok as long as the pin's are not too tight - if they are, the plastic part of the tool will deform and the tools press pin will bend (the tools press pin is so soft you can straighten it back up with your finger!). The hammer is fantastic and worth the money by its self, watch back removal tool / blade works well and is much better than using a small screwdriver (much less likely to damage the watch), the strap support block is handy with various width slots for different strap thicknesses, pin punches will come in handy too - screw drivers and spring pin removal tool only fit for the bin..... All in all I'd definitly recommend this kit for the money - you're bound to find bits of it really handy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 January 2015
Great kit to switch some of the links out of my watch band for the pebble steel. There are more than enough tools to get the job done and even for someone like me who has never tried removing watch band links in my life it's easy to use.

This is an ideal purchase for anyone who wants to be able to take the links out of your watch strap without having to take your watch into a specialist all the time.
on 11 February 2011
For the price I am happy with most of the kit. The only problem is with the pliers. I have never seen pliers so badly made in all my life! They're not very strong, came covered in a horrible black gunk and the jaws don't meet when you close them so you can't hold anything less than about 4mm thick. Oh and the snap-on back remover isn't thin enough to open the back on one of my watches but I can fix that by sharpening it.

EDIT: The snap-on back opener knife is useless. As I mentioned, it wasn't thin enough to open one of my watches, it disintegrated while trying to open another. I am now going to have to spend the money I was hoping to save on getting the battery changed at a Jewellers. And I hadn't gotten around to sharpening it, so it wasn't anything to do with that, just poor build quality.
on 31 March 2013
Well, as many of the other reviewers have stated, you get what you pay for, and these tools are pretty far from being the finest quality available. That being said, this kit is extremely cheap, it's perfectly possible to carry out simple home watch repairs (bracelet adjustments and battery changes) with it, and even if only a few of the tools are really up to scratch, they're worth what you'll be paying.

Here's my verdict on the various tools:

Hammer: rather neat, and can be used effectively with the pin punch and the watch holding block to remove bracelet links. It works!

Watch holding block: this is the grey square block thing with various slots in it. It's plastic, so won't scratch your watch case or bracelet, and it's solidly made, and useful for holding the bracelet while you remove pins or spring bars. Yup, this works too.

Pin punches: there are three of these - they are used to remove the split pins from steel watch bracelets. Quality is adequate, but all three are the same size, which is either a bit dumb or a pragmatic recognition that they aren't going to last forever.

Tweezers: reasonable, but nylon tweezers would be more appropriate for battery replacements.

Precision screwdrivers: there are three of these, and like the pin punches, they are all the same size. Why?! Standard cheapo quality.

Plastic-handled screwdrivers: these are horrible, worse than the screwdrivers you get in Christmas crackers, and I threw them away immediately. I would never attempt any kind of job with a tool this shoddy.

Pin removal press: this is the blue thing that looks like a vice, and is supposed to operate something like a bicycle chain link splitter. Unfortunately, it is crap. The body is made of flimsy plastic, the thread on the handle is very coarse, and it's pretty much impossible to align with the watch bracelet to push out the split pins (I tried it out on some scrap links I had lying around). The job it's intended for is much more effectively carried out with the hammer, the holding block and a pin punch, so I ended up throwing this away as well, although I kept the drive pin, because it can be secured in a pin vice and used as a spring bar pusher, so it's not totally useless. But I really wouldn't recommend trying to use this on an expensive watch bracelet - you'll scratch it up and get nowhere fast.

Case back knife: didn't work for me, but that could be because I'm left-handed, and this is a very right-handed tool. I still go back to the trusty Swiss Army knife for getting pop-off backs opened!

Screw-down back removal tool: this is the two-pin wrench, used for opening waterproof watches with screw-down backs. It's nothing fancy, but it does work on smaller watches. Some of my larger watches, however, exceed its range. Not as good as a proper three-pin Jaxa-type wrench.

Pliers: pretty generic cheapo pliers, haven't actually used them for anything since I have lots of much nicer pliers.

All in all, a mixed bag, but given that you'll save the cost of the kit if you only manage to carry out one or two repairs with it, I'd recommend this to anyone savvy enough to know what's worth having a go with and what needs to be chucked. And I found a very suitable two-tray sorter box to keep the whole lot in at a certain well-known hobby electronics supplier!
on 10 June 2012
I used this repair kit only once and several of the tools broke or bent and fell to pieces.
it was very cheaply made and i was very disappointed, I would not recommend this product.eSecure - 16 Piece Watch Repair Tool Kit Set Pin & Back Remover
on 12 December 2010
The kit was delivered by E-Secure in good time and was nicely packaged. Thank you!

As for the kit itself, the story is not so good.............

If you are expecting the sort of kit that a professional jeweller would use then you will be disappointed. You seem to get a lot of tools for the money but the build quality is best described as "basic." The plastic pin extractor worked quite well at removing a pin from my metal watch strap. I am sure that the supplied tools would manage to get the back of a watch with small screws, or with a simple "push" fitting. If however you want the kit for removing a screw fitting watch back then frankly a trip to the jewellers might be a more expensive but less frustrating option. To ensure water tightness, I suspect watch backs are screwed in quite tightly. Without clamping the watch in a vice and using a better fitting tool, the odds of getting the watch back off are slim.
eSecure - 16 Piece Watch Repair Tool Kit Set Pin & Back Remover
on 10 September 2011
We have a number of watches with pin and link bracelets, and the last one we had adjusted cost £20 at the jewellers - crazy for 2 minutes work. This kit does exactly what it says, and included all the tools needed to adjust bands/bracelets. Some of the tools are excellent quality (the hammer and pincers for example), and some are more cheap and cheerful.....but if you figure you will maybe use it once every 1-5 years, and that it costs one-quarter of one visit to a jeweller then it's a straight forward buy. I didn't have any issues and removed and refitted four very tight fitting pins in a matter of minutes. Excellent buy.
on 5 January 2015
Bought this as I was sick of paying £6 to some idiot in a key cutting shop every time I wanted to adjust my watch strap. It arrived pretty quick and so far, not only has it paid for itself in the amount of times I have not had to take it to "the idiot in the key cutting shop", but it has also saved me paying another £6 on several more occasions.

Don't get me wrong, if you are a budding watch maker this probably isn't for you. However, if you're just an average Joe who wants to change your own watch batteries or adjust your own strap, this will more than an ample kit to do just that.

So for what I have paid compared to how many times I have used it, I would say it is money well spent and well worth taking a punt on.
on 11 May 2011
Bought this to shorten the strap on a new watch & cannot recommend it enough. If you plan to shorten a strap, buy this, go to YouTube to watch videos explaining what to do & then go for it!