Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Field & Trial|Change

on 30 July 2012
I've been using this product for 10 months now and very pleased with it. As dog numbers have risen, price spent on dog food has had to lower. So with 6 collies I've gone from Burns, to Arden Grange and now to Skinners. I have to say that I have found absolutely no difference in condition between each product. This hasn't just been a fanciful change here and there, the older dogs have been on the initial feeds a good couple of years before having to 'down grade' but in price only.

Ignore the review that say tummy problems given. You CANNOT expect one food to suit every dog. They are all individuals as are humans. If you are feeding another type of food you must phase in gradually, that's not particular to this food, that's what you should do with any food changes in, so the dog's stomach copes with the change.

What I like about the product is it's wheat/gluten free, free from artificial colours/preservatives and free from BHA/BHTs. My oldest dog is only 7, my youngest 14 months, she's been on this since moving to an adult food at 9 months of age. All dogs are fit and healthy, all of them 'work', all have lovely glossy coats and very importantly all have nice, firm (kickable) stools - you can tell a lot about a dog by the stools that are produced!!

I would recommend this food, especially if like me you have to cut down on cost without wanting to cut down on quality. I know a few people who have changed to this as their dogs have a very sensitive tum, and they seem to do very nicely on it.

Worth giving it a go, but DO bear in mind, to give it a fair chance you do need to phase it in as you phase your usual food out, preferrably over a 2 weeks period. Give it a few months.
11 comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2012
this is a great food, ingredients are as good as food costing 45 pounds plus yet costs half the price, all my dogs love it and look well on it ( been feeding it for 6 months now)
on 30 March 2013
since using this product my dogs coat has become shiny and he has stopped his incessant scratching. It took a few days for him to adjust to the new food but he now seems to like it. I am going to stick with it. Compared to his previous food it is cheaper but as it is hypo allergenic it seems to suit him better. I will be ordering it again.
on 14 October 2012
I purchased this food for 2 of my dogs, as their digestive systems are on the delicate side.
Yet all the dogs love it, hench they all eat it with result of nice firm stools & good coats.
on 5 November 2014
I spent months looking for an alternative food to Royal Canin Labrador, Tried Dr Jaynes, Wainwrights and other Brands. My dogs started Itching, casting their coats and begged all the time to the point were I got annoyed and put them outside at dinner time etc. I found Wainwright to be an excellent food but the price was an issue as I now have two dogs and feeding them is becoming as expensive as the household monthly food shop. I searched and read reviews about different brands before coming across recommendations for Skinners on Sundog forums and chat boards. I decided I would give it a chance and if it failed I was resigned to buying the Wainwright at almost double the price.

Bought the food at our local pet shop (skinners website has a postcode search) cost £25 for a 15kg bag £1 more than Amazon. Within two weeks our labradors coats were shinning and their temperament had changed. Begged less and were better rested. The stools were solid and their daily patterns matched that of before. The food is extremely dry and I mix it with cold water to remove the dryness. Dog love it and get excited when they see me putting the food in their dishes.

Overall its been a month. Am getting double the food for the same money as I was paying for Royal Canin, The dogs are healthy, the food is good and I would recommend this for anyone, who like me is extremely fussy about what they fed their dogs!
on 30 July 2015
I have a 6 year old rhodesian ridgeback cross rottweiller and a 5 year old American bulldog cross boxer, who suffers from skin problems and a sensitive stomach. After looking into many brands of food for hours, I found this to be one of the top quality ones I found, and the price is great. It took a while to dispatch, but one dispatched it was here the next morning. Both my dogs love and saw an improvement straight away, and has even calmed one of them down (who used to be over excited alot). They both have loads of energy and are really happy. I've even purchased a second bag after 2 days of having the first bag, just so we're stocked up!
on 12 March 2013
We have two gds and they eat a lot!!! We used to feed arden grange which we were very pleased with but it only lasted 12 days and at £35 per bag was too expensive. After researching every dog food on the market we chose Skinners. They are now on to their 2nd bag. They eat it fine, their coats are glossy and what comes out the other end is firm. I think we do the best we can for our dogs we have tried other makes of food, some expesive and we have not had better results.
on 19 May 2016
skinners duck and rice.. ive got 5 dogs and I have tried just about every dried dog food on the market, this is the best , all my dogs love it, I have noticed that their coats are so soft and shiny since they have been on this food, so glad I bought this , I will be ordering more. I have 4 GSD and a Lab x.
on 23 April 2016
This product is Awsome. My dog started loosing fur around the eyes.
Visited the vet and they said he may be allergic to something. They ran tests and could find what it was.
I then read about dogs being allergic to wheat so decided to change to this as its hypo allegenic and its all cleared up
on 28 April 2016
i just love this particular skinners dog food. I have tried all the flavours for my little fur bundles, but after being away for a week and having swapped just before we went from salmon and rice, i have to say their coats were really soft and shiney. All the skinners range in my opinion is fabulous but this particular one suits my dogs best. It has helped with their behaviour and anxiety too - poos are solid and fewer than on other dry foods. This is as good as so called premium brands that are twice the price.