Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 8 August 2014
I used to be a bit of a miserable bugger, you know the sort, always grumbling, permanent frown on my face, my only friend my personal computer. But then the internet introduced me to the possibility of puchasing not one, not two but TWENTY-FOUR packets of the most wonderfully delicious snacks all in one go!

Thanks to the salty savoury goodness of scampi fries you certainly won't catch me without a smile on my face, I'm the most popular guy in town. I buy 4800 packs of these a year and I truly look forward to the day that my heart eventually and inevitably explodes and my numerous pals and lady friends are showered in pure scampi goodness.
22 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'm convinced that no other snack will block your arteries quicker than these. You can almost feel them clogging as you toss each tasty crunchy little parcel in to your mouth, one after the other.

Do we care? Hell no!

Scampi Fries are so damn crispy and tasty one packet is worth the risk of about 100 open heart surgeries. The way Smiths have recreated the scampi 'bread crumb' texture is deserving of the Politzer Prize.

And if you're a sucker for crisps and other corn/cereal based snacks, these are the absolute pinnacle of the crisp & bar snack world! There is nothing better. Period!!!

They stink so much they turn me on, and have school boys up and down the country sniffing each others fingers. Who cares if you're gonna have a heart attack, if heart attacks taste this good!

The only negative thing about them (besides a fat content Ronald MacDonald and The Burger King would be proud of) is that they come in such tiny packs.

However, I'm pretty sure that this is just to help get round some EU guidelines on health; because if the packets were any bigger, people would be clutching their arms and dropping dead in pubs, bars and corner shops up and down the country.

But at least they'd go happy!

Their crispy deep fried goodness will leave you with a bread crumbed smile on your face as the ambulance crew give you mouth to mouth.

However, I bet that between breaths - while they're pumping away at your chest desperatly trying to breath life back into your lungs - the person administering the heart massage will give you mouth to mouth and says: "Cor! He tastes of Scampi Fries!! Mmmmm... Bloody lovely!"

There really is nothing like the crispy texture, hollow crunch, and zesty, fishy taste of Smith's Scampi Fries. When I'm in the back of the Ambulance the only reason I want to be brought back to life, is so I can eat more of these.

It's as if Posiden - God of the sea - has caught them and served them up to you fresh from his net that day! They are quite simply - heavenly!!!.

Speaking of heaven - the rate at which I throw packets of these down my neck it won't be long before I'm there myself. And my idea of heaven isn't fluffy white clouds but crispy orange snacks - See you there scampi lovers!

If you've found this review helpful you might like to read about my thoughts on some other classic snacks that are also favourites of mine:

Wotsits: Wotsits Cheesy - 48 packs per Box

Frazzles: Frazzles Bacon 23 g (Pack of 96)

Bacon Fries: Savoury Selection Bacon Fries 24 g (Pack of 24)
4040 comments| 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My of my, what a blast from the past these were. I purchased these after a discussion in the pub, you know the kind... 'Do you remember them...'
I remember days when my father was in the pub, drinking away, and would occasionally bring me treats whilst I sat in the car in the car park. Child care in the 80's was great! With no wifi, smartphone or mp3's to keep us busy, it was imperative that the public houses sold something to keep the hundreds of children locked in a car across the country happy, and with this product they knocked the proverbial ball out the park. Loved by kids and adults alike, these little bad boys pack a punch and a half.

You always had crisps from childhood that were so overly flavoured, the odd one would make your eyes bleed (with happiness). Whilst you only get a handful in a pack, each one is so flavoured you don't need 20+, just one every few minutes and your eyes will roll back whilst you dribble like George Best in his hay day.

At the moment of writing this review I’m coming down from my latest Scampi filled weekend binge and was disgusted to check the snack cupboard this morning and notice I’d done it again, all packs are gone. I sometimes think there’s a phantom snack eater in my house, who comes in the middle of the night and eats the remaining packs before covering my chest in crumbs to frame me for it every time.

I live in Belgium and come back to the UK every 3-4 weeks, not to visit my family, but to pick up more Scampi fries! The annoying thing about these bad boys is my wife’s taken a liking to it. I mean FFS, is nothing sacred anymore. It was bad enough trying to make these last a month when it was just my drunk clutches grabbing bags of these on my way to the fridge for some night time ‘fine dining’.

First off, don’t kid yourself into thinking you’re buying crisps as such. I honestly don’t know how they came about it, but they managed to incorporate a huge amount of guilt into every bite. Like Crack Cocaine, the guilt does not outweigh the pleasure you feel with every bite, and I’d probably fence my mums electronics to buy these if I ever ran out of cash. Each individual piece gives you the feeling you’ve eaten a small Fray Bentos pie, they’re like them minerals you read about when you’re a kid where 1 nanogram is heavier than a London Bus, but does that stop me, NOT ONE BIT.

The hardest thing they’ve managed to pull off is giving each piece the flavour of 10000 dried, stinking Scampi’s. To the untrained stomach that might sound disgusting, but there’s a level of sophistication in these tiny fishy morsels that goes beyond a bar room snack. I for one would not think it out of place to be nibbling on these at a wedding reception, they’re that good.

The crumbs that cover your fingers are an extra bonus. It’s creates that magic moment you have when you realise your bag is empty, but then look at your fingers and notice they’re covered in magical golden dust. Mmmmm. Once my dog made the mistake of licking my hand shortly before that magic moment, and whilst I love him to bits, the 200 quid Vet bill was worth it if he learnt his lesson

I’ve tried various consumption methods in order to make these last longer like allowing them to melt on your tongue, but found the best way to make these last is to do a Harry Potter on anyone else who lives with you (tie them up and lock them under the stairs) until you’ve run out.

TIP – Don’t throw the empty packs away, I found that even though the packs inside has a foil like look and feel, it does keep some flavour in the walls so you can lick them until your next delivery.

Oh - if you don't like overly fishy smelling treats, steer well clear of these. There's nothing subtle about these, NOTHING. Alternatively, if you have a serious body odour issues, open one of these bad boys on the train and nobody will notice your funky armpits anymore.
on 18 September 2010
24 packs on a backing board just like in the pub.

Scampi fries have the strongest flavour for crisps or snacks and are delicious.

Packing and delivery were excellent. These are really hard to get hold of in supermarkets or shops. I'm glad Amazon had them for sale.
on 12 November 2014
Great product. We have loved Scampi Fries (and Bacon Fries) for a long time and have found them increasingly difficult to find (at least in Scotland), so was delighted to find both these products are available for sale on Amazon. I'm happy.
on 4 October 2010
It is so nice to be able to get your favourite yummy snack through Amazon (top marks Amazon, you are amazing!!)! As an Army wife stationed in Germany for the past 11 years, I have only been able to get these delicious things when I have been back to UK and generally after being stuffed in a suitcase, they are little more than crumbs!! Not so with Amazon packaging. The fishy/lemony flavour of Scampi Fries is the stuff of dreams when you haven't tasted them for months and I am in the process of buying another cardful to send some through to my friends who are out in ops in Afghan and on tour in Canada (but not all of them ... most of them are for meeee!!). Like another well known brand, you either love them or hate them ... unfortunately my husband doesn't like them at all and won't kiss me, due to fishy breath, when I've been eating them - never mind though!! What more can I say, my 'basket' awaits!!
There are crisps and there are crisps, and them there is Scampi Fries. The king of all snacks. Sadly it is getting harder and harder to find these on the high street, thankfully we can still get them here. Truly the best crisp out there. Great taste and a great texture
on 13 September 2010
There's only one word I can use to describe this... yummy.

When I first had a packet, I really hesitated. I thought, Scampi? Nope, I don't like scampi, so I'm not going to enjoy this. Lemon? Nope, I don't like Lemon. Something tells me eating one of these is going to be terribly bad. Well, fortunately it wasn't. It was a nice texture to it, and the flavouring wasn't enough to be off-putting.

The only negative is the price - at 44p a bag of just 27g, they can work out to be an expensive treat, but oh boy, a treat they certainly are. As these are often only found in selected pubs and clubs, it's also nice to finally find them available to buy online.
on 19 September 2010
oh i love scampi fries and have loved them for years, everytime i see them at the local pub or at the super market i have to buy them. everyone says there stinky and smelly but i just dont care i love em.
on 31 January 2011
Firstly, I should announce how delighted I was to discover that my favourite on-line store beginning with 'Ama' sold these wonderful products of yesteryear.

According to the Observer's Book of Crisps (9th edition, 1998) we were 'unlikely to ever encounter a packet ever again, unless it was at back of an elderly person's cupboard' - yet now we can buy them in bulk over the miracle that is the internet.

For those not familiar with such items, these fishy beauties are delightful to eat with their lemony tang, yet disgusting to be in the same room as. It's as if you are sharing the room with a permanently yawning cat, so eat out of doors if possible.

As such, I can only recommend to singletons or for those wishing to ditch their partner. The threat of 24 packets will soon have them scuttling back to mother.