on 24 July 2011
The review is for the mens' version but the two versions should be comparable.

The Berghaus Verden is a good back pack for short trips/hikes and does a really good job bridging the gap between day packs and the 65-90 litres back packs for longer trips.
The Verden will hold whatever you need for a couple of days, including sleeping back and mat. There are plenty of compression straps and D-rings for securing stuff to the outside of the bag. There are a few pockets here and there and a rain cover but the pack is not loaded with features. I really lacked a zipper locked pocket in the large compartment and pocket/D-ring on the hip belt/shoulder strap but otherwise the features are spot on.
The fabric quality is fairly good, I've been using mine for almost a year now and I've had no tears/undone seams yet with moderate weekly use.

The fit seems to be quite adjustable, at least I managed to get a good fit on my relatively slim hip/shoulders and tall upper body with the biofit. The pack is quite comfortable to wear even when fully loaded. The padding on the hip and shoulders are supple without being too much.

The Verden rucksack is recommended for the cost-conscious hiker/everyday user who is looking for a back pack for 2-4 day trips.

PROs:
Adjustability
Value for money
Build-quality

CONs:
Lacks a pocket or two
on 24 October 2010
I've had this sack for a few weeks now and it's completed about 15-20 miles so far in some pretty bad weather. I've found it tough, very comfortable with plenty of storage space for a enough kit for a two day hike. It compresses well thanks to the strong compression straps and has plenty of hoops and straps to hang additional kit from if needed. It did 8 miles in the rain with me recently and thanks to the built in rain cover all my kit was bone dry.

All in all a great sack that I would recommend to anyone.
on 1 May 2015
This being my first ever Rucksack, I wanted one which would not just serve me well but serve me for a long time to come during my travels. I didnt al lot of research into different bag but I got to say this one was perfect for me as I saw a few reviews on youtube, which outlined the bags performance and qualities etc. Only qualmfor me is that the buckles do feel a tad cheap but as long as it holds up I'm cool.

It has more then enough pockets and compartments for me to utilise, the zips are high quality and overall I'm happy I bought this bag.
review image
on 13 May 2013
Bought this bag for myself male 5 ft.10" and 13st after doing some research between the difference in the male and female versions I decided to go ahead and purchase the " female" version if there is a difference it would not be apparent to anyone but an expert ! the female being cheaper is all. Even after inquiring in a well known outdoor shop they said there is no difference from a male wearer but a difference to a female in the way the load is carried . So don't be put off by the description of it being a "female" rucksack. The bag itself is fantastic having all the requirements you'd expect from Berghaus all the bells and whistles. Only one negative about this bag is the H2o opening being on the back of the bag and I am concerned about tubing from bladder resting or rubbing on the back of my neck but only time will tell, Hope this has helped a little in your decision to buy or not to buy.
on 31 January 2016
Used this two 800 plus kilometre Caminos through spain.. Its great, comfy and carries really well.. tough and durable its still like new.
I carried about 10 kilos including the bag for both trips. It could take more byt thats ehat i had. Was no problem
on 2 March 2016
This is a great bag with lots of space and plenty of compartments I got a 3l camel bak water bladder into the bladder pocket in the inside. Felt really comfortable on my back I used it to walk the west Highland way and up Ben nevis and never had a sore back which was great. I would highly recommend this bag to any keen walker.
on 18 September 2013
I bought this bag for a three-months trip to South America. At the beginning I was considering to get something bigger, but 3months with a heavy load on your back can be very difficult. This seemed to be the best compromise in terms of size, internal storage and space, pockets and - very important - shape of the back side.
45 plus 8 will allow you to put all the stuff you need (keep in mind that the more space you have available, the more you will fill it..), and the bivi-divider is an excellent feature to allow you to keep dirty or wet clothes at the bottom, completely separate from the main compartment. What else? Rain cover, biofit back, two mesh pockets on the side, access to the main compartment from three different parts (bottom, top and middle) plus other three extra pockets (two on the side, one on top), water-system compatible, fully adjustable and above all VERY strong and durable material. I do like this bag, it's going to be a good travelmate!
on 6 August 2014
Reliable and good product in general. Had no issues with it. Took it on a road trip in a van from the north to Lands End. Hence it has survived and endured quite a lot of harsh and rough conditions.

Its waterproof and durable. however i would not recommend this to anyone who is going on a trip for more than 3-4 days, as i so not think there is enough space for a lot of stuff. Then again it completely depends on you needs.

I recommend this product.
on 18 August 2015
Bought this on a black Friday deal for £40, which was an unbelievable bargain. Me and my Partner both used one each for 8 weeks whilst travelling Asia and found it to be (for us) the right combination of spacious but also compact.. There are plenty of pockets and a handy separator for the bottom (ideal for shoes).

It's well made and after 9 weeks of being stuffed to the point where it had to be jumped up and down on to close, we brought it home looking good a new and sold them both on eBay for the same price we bought them.. I have no doubt they've been on many more trips and still look nearly new.
on 24 July 2015
I'm verry happy, the Berghaus system to adjust the back is so simple and can be made so the bag can fit any size back. Good amount of space even with my 3 litre hydration pack in. If the bag fits properly the hips really do take the weight it feels very comfortable even when full. It'd be nice if there was a pocket in the hip strap part for a compass or something but that really is quite minor. Over all if you're wondering what kind of bag at this size you want...buy it.