Top positive review
42 people found this helpful
on 20 September 2012
I am a frequent air traveler, and I do work in a noisy office (people, fans, air conditioner etc.). I have owned this product for 1.5 months as of now, and I must say that I am very pleased with my purchase. The noise of the fans is drastically reduced, and with the music on, I simply do not hear the people talking in the office. Even with the noise cancelling feature off, they do provide a reasonable quality for both sound and noise insulation. The sound quality definitely increases when you turn NC on.
- Very good noise cancellation. On air, they let me sleep for hours without discomfort. The engine noise is reduced to a non-disturbing level. Turning music on helps further.
- Good sound quality. It's like a family reunion where everybody wears suits. You will recognize your favourite songs, but they will sound very different. Classy.
- Dead battery does not stop the music.
- Long battery life, though I never calculated it. With daily use (avg. 2-3 hours of noise cancelling on), I think I get a two-week span. I only had to replace batteries twice since I bought them.
- Weak bass. For chillout, they are perfectly fine. They will not satisfy heavy bass lovers.
- Ear cups a bit small. I have small ears, so they fit me well, but it might bother some people.
Now, comparison with Bose QC-15. A friend of mine in has them, so I had a chance to use both in the office. As far as the noise cancellation goes, these two perform similarly. It's not that I am praising my own stuff, but I did not sense an noticeable difference between the two. Panasonic insulates sound better with noise cancelling off. However, Bose might perform better in airplanes or very noisy environments. I did not test that.
Sound quality, however, is better in Bose. The sound is more crisp. I can not say Bose is far better, but you do notice a quality difference when you use both headphones. But this product is very very good. Note that I am not an audophile. I generally listen to slow music, and not at very high levels. They are built for me.
I also compared the noise cancellation feature with Beats headphones. I tested both in a very noisy music shop. They are way too expensive, and Panasonic might have performed better even WITHOUT being turned on. They were a total disappointment in that sense.
Bottom line is this: The noise cancellation is very good, build quality is solid, and I like the sound. I would definitely recommend them.
Update: After almost 3.5 years of constant use in different environments, I have to say I'm very glad to own these pair of headphones. I've been using these in office for 15-20 hours a week in addition to traveling. The two plastic joints that bridge head strap and each headphone have cracked, although the metal skeleton underneath is intact. A lil' bit of taping with a black tape fixed the problem without changing the looks drastically. In addition, the interior part of the ear cushions have worn a bit. The very design of the cover on ear cushions (multiple pieces stitched together) does not allow the wear and tear spread outside. The battery time and sound quality has not degraded at all. Still recommended.