Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 18 June 2002
I'm going to keep this short and sweet, there are far too many hardcore fan reviews telling us how disappointingly uncomprehensive this album is. Suffice to say, although there is nothing here for the die hard fans, they are not who the album is aimed at, they should already have all of these songs and everything in between. What we have here is the Prince party album. If you want catchy, varied, funk-driven pop songs.. then buy this album. It serves well as a trip down memory lane, or an introduction to the catalogue of Prince, one of the greatest artists of our time. Dare I say a musical genius. Enjoy.
0Comment| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2003
Having just come across Purple Rain showing extremely late on Channel 5, I remembered just how much I used to enjoy listening to Prince when my uncle used to play him. I never owned any of the albums before, I just had what my uncle gave me so I decided to buy this as somewhere to start.
I agree that this is not the most comprehensive of 'best of' albums, even I wondered where Controversy and The Most Beautiful Girl In the World were, but show me any compilation album that will satisfy a die-hard fan! Die hard fans will have all of these tracks already and will lament the omittance of many tracks, but then that's what being a die hard fan means. For the rest of us, this is a great album containing most of the tracks that we know and love. If it's not enough go and buy the other albums as I'm probably going to, but for now, this will keep me going.
Buy this album if you enjoy Prince's music and want his most well known hits all on one album.
11 Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 April 2016
As infectious and just plain raunchy as it was upon release, these hits have more than stood the test of time. The word genius is bandied about too often in contemporary music culture; a fact of which I am only too keenly reminded when hearing the diverse and breathtaking music of this sorely missed composer.
on 31 December 2003
Well, I bought this CD as an introduction to Prince, since I'm only 21 and therefore remember him best as being a huffy little man with a squiggly name. People seemed to be making a fuss over him so I figured he was fair game.
Wise move.
Now my mate John's got Purple Rain on DVD and our fashion tastes are bordering on the exotic. I personally blame this album.
If you are indeed a long-time Prince fan, I understand if this 'Best Of' annoys you, but for all those other guys out there: its only a fiver at the moment! DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR!!!
on 6 August 2001
I was a fan of Prince, although not huge. I bought this album on chance recognising many of the songs and can honestly say that I'm not disappointed. Some of his great songs aren't here (Seven), but it is a great album of his less swearing songs. It combines great lyrics with great tunes.
I would advise everyone you likes this sort of music, and doesn't have specific albums of Prince to give this a whirl. I hope you won't regret it.
on 24 April 2016
Sad to say it took Prince's death for me to reconnect with his music. What a musical genius, brilliant album!!!
on 21 April 2016
When it comes to entertainment the one and only Prince Rogers Nelson is at the top of the tree. In listing his talents it is more likely that a skill is left out rather than scratch around trying to find superlatives. Singer, songwriter, musician, arranger, producer, dancer and fashion guru are the areas of expertise that are most apparent.

However, it is crystal clear that the ‘Purple One’ has had a major effect on the shape of the contemporary music industry. His war against the ruling record company forces can be seen as a monumental force-and. this endeavour opened the door for a greater deal of artistic freedom.

His imprint upon contemporary culture cannot be underestimated and it is with extreme sadness that the passing of Prince came on April 21, 2016. The death of Prince occurred at his Paisley Park Estate, Chanhassen, Minnesota, near Minneapolis-and, it is without even a consideration that aside of illness this wondrous workaholic would have been turning fresh ideas in to another reality. The productivity of this supreme showman was second to none and he had even performed recent dates although fragility has curtailed an April 15 gig.

A super human studio stamina resulted in a rate of albums that equated to almost a release per annum since 1978 and a surfeit of sublime singles taking in funk, soul, rock, R n B, jazz, hip hop, psychedelia and more always made the radio a better listening experience. It was most noticeably in the 80’s that those mega-hits came flying out of a non-stop assembly line. The albums such as 1999, Purple Rain (with an accompanying movie of the same name), Around the world in a Day, Parade and Sign O’ the Times had this legend at the peak of his powers-and, the Top 40 was awash with chart champions that brought in audiences from across the sonic spectrum.

1999, Little Red Corvette, Let’s go Crazy, When Doves Cry, Purple Rain, I would die for U, Raspberry Beret, Paisley Park, Kiss, Anotherloverholenyohead, Girls & Boys, Mountains, Sing O’ the Times, If I was your Girlfriend, U got the look and the list goes on! Every one of these tunes lit up the pop world-and, ultimately this decade proved to be the most commercially viable period for a diminutive and dexterous deity.

It is not as if the story ended there as his industry became anthems for other acts as well e.g. Manic Monday (The Bangles), Sugar Walls (Sheena Easton), Nothing compares to U (Sinead O’ Connor) and I feel for You (Chaka Khan-giving this lady her most productive smash). The range of artists who collaborated with Prince is endless and so are the credits. The recording went on and as the creative juices always sought after on stage reputation was immense.

On a subjective note it is a pleasure to put on any of the aforementioned albums or a compilation such as this excellent set; and, there is absolutely no doubt that Prince has certainly had a positive effect on my listening experiences. There will be many deserved plaudits because we are talking about a legend. Along with the recent departure of David Bowie the world has lost a couple of Heroes (and, amazingly this maverick had paid tribute to the Thin White Duke with a cover of this phenomenal number during a late March 2016 gig that consisted of a breathtaking 57 songs!).

Talent is wrongly applied to a whole host of bankrupt here today, gone tomorrow wannabes. However, on a tragic day the globe has waved goodbye to the Diamonds and Pearls of one of the most influential icons of our (New Power) Generation. The doves will be crying as will many of his devoted disciples. Prince Rogers Nelson RIP.
55 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2003
Don't be mis-lead by the title, this is not a collection of Prince's "very best" songs. What we have here is a collection of tracks from 78's 'Prince' through to 91's 'Diamonds and Pearls'.
The songs on this collection are Prince's most 'commercial' hits, so as you would expect, '1999' , 'Purple Rain, 'Kiss' etc. all feature, however certain tracks have been criminally left out....
There is no trace whatsover of anything from 'Dirty Mind' or 'Controversy'.
'Dirty Mind' and 'Uptown' both deserve to feature but have unsurprisingly been left out, one song in particular 'When You Were Mine' (commonly regarded as one of the artist's greatest songs) should have without a doubt made it onto the tracklisting.
Like 'Dirty Mnd', 'Controversy' has also been completely ignored, the title track (a brilliant example of early pop-funk from the Purple One) has been left off despite being a relatively good success commercially. Even 'Sexuality' and 'Do, Me Baby' could have made it onto here with ease if the people picking the tracks were die-hard fans (like myself) who I'm sure also wouldn't be happy that certain other tracks have not made an appearance...no Delirious? no Pop Life? no Girls & Boys? no Erotic City or 17 days? NO ADORE? the list could go on.
One of the biggest surprises is the exclusion of one of the geniuses biggest hits 'Batdance', even if that didn't make it both 'The Future' and 'Vicki Waiting' deserved a place on the list.
As well as this the vastly underated 'Lovesexy' and 'Graffiti Bridge' have been all but ignored save two tracks ('Alphabet st. and 'Thieves In The Temple') where's Anna Stasia? Joy In Repetition? and Still would stand all Time?
Personally I would have also liked to see 1992's '7' and 'Sexy M.F' on here...but no. Warner even go so far as to leave the man's only no. 1 hit in the U.K ('The Most Beautiful Girl In The World') off this compilation.
Still you cannot falt the quality of the songs which ARE on here (even if some are edited) 'Cream','Let's Go Crazy','Raspberry Beret'...all of the songs heard on this CD are brilliant, most of them having excellent sond re-mastering too ('Crazy' in particular has never sounded so electrifying) but this cannot hide the fact that this collection , in truth, isn't what it claims to be.
on 24 April 2016
Prince's early passing reminded me what a brilliant song writer and performer he was. This album is a great encapsulation of his greatest hits and a great reminder of my youth!
on 19 December 2016
Only plays in cd player, so you cannot play on computer so cannot put tracks on your mobile phone or other device. Neither can you access it on Amazon music. This should be made clear in item description as for me it's now worthless!