on 17 January 2011
I hope this is helpful, i bought this and tried to connect it with my mac book pro to my Dell 27 Ultra-sharp, at first it didn't work, so for a few days i thought it was just not up to it, so contacted StarTech support, never done this before especially for a 'cable', they told me to turn the laptop to lower resolution and bang. it worked. no i got it running at 2560 x 1440.. everything is super sharp.

awsome.

cheers
on 20 May 2012
A must have for anyone wanting to drive a (non-Apple) high resolution display with a Mac. I recently upgraded my old monitor to a Dell U2711 and was disappointed to find that my 2011 Mac Mini (Sandy Bridge i5 with Intel HD 3000 graphics) wasn't able to push past 1080p. I tried various adapters and cables and thought that I would have to fork out £70 for the dual-link DVI adapter Apple sells. Thankfully, someone pointed me in the direction of this cable first.

It works a charm, no issues whatsoever. My Mini picked up that there were a few resolution options now available above 1920x1080 including the full 2560x1440 which made everything pin sharp (I was also pleased to find that my Mini didn't struggle driving such a high res monitor)

It also shipped out earlier then expected which was a plus and arrived the day after I got the dispatch email.
on 29 March 2011
The cable is not well shielded from interference. If phone is placed near the cable, 2G GSM signal sometimes causes screen to flicker or temporarily disconnect.

Other than that it's OK, supports 2560x1600 from Thunderbolt MacBook.
on 13 January 2016
I've been using a Mini Displayport to HDMI cable via an HDMI <-> DVI-D adapter with my Dell U2312HM for 4 years at this stage and it started to have connection issues. It was time to get a new cable and luckily I've found out my monitor also has a Displayport.

I really love this cable, it connects securely into the monitor, is finally way smaller than my previous setup (which was sticking out in the bottom).

I am running 1080p on it from a Macbook Pro 2011.

You would need this cable if you plan to run higher than 1080p resolutions as via DVI that requires a dual-link DVI connector, which needs extra power and/or is expensive. And there's less room for error via a direct cable than via multiple adapters.

The cable has the same thickness as the official Apple Thunderbolt cable.
on 11 July 2011
I bought this so I could use my IBM laptop T410 with my 2010 27" Imac, in Target Mode.

I had bought many cables previous to this, for my old IBM laptop, that did not work. You need to check carefully if the video card on the computer you are plugging into the IMac supports the IMac screen.

The thing to understand is that the Mini Display Port on a Mac is proprietary, and native only to the Mac, though Apple allow others to use it Royalty free. Mini Display Port is just a smaller version of "Display Port".

As I had a Display Port on my IBM 410, all I needed was this lead. It works very well.

Using an Imac in Target Mode, is filled with minefields. Do your research first. There isn't a lot of information out there currently.

What I have discovered subsequently is: If the Laptop you are plugging into only has a serial port for screen output, you are unlikely to be able use an Imac as an extra screen for your Laptop. I've tried all types of adapters at over inflated prices. Finally I got a new Laptop, and found this lead - I got lucky.
on 5 May 2016
It didn't work well with my Dell U2515H the screen kept going black and to bring it back to life I had to pull the cable out and put it back in again and sometimes reboot the PC. I have read comments from other reviewers who say this problem can caused by close proximity of a mobile phone - so I am experimenting with leaving my mobile phone in another room - which seems a ridiculous thing to have to do in the 21st Century.

There dont seem to be a large variety of these mini display port to display port cables on sale which makes me think this has not turned out to be a good way of connecting a monitor to a PC.

My PCs graphics card has a DVI socket as well as display port - so I am going to buy a mini display to DVI port connector next. I am hoping if I try enough cables one of them must work.
on 27 November 2012
I was advised of this cable by another mac mini user and it was a fantastic purchase for the price.

The picture quality to my Dell Ultrasharp monitor is superb with sharp vibrant colours. Have had no issues with interference (as suggested in another review) and I have my smartphone nearby most of the time. The image quality is 100% flawless.

Another thing I have seen mentioned is the build quality, but again I can see no issues here. The cable comes well packaged with caps on the connectors. The cable feels tough with solid plugs either end.

If you are on the fence about this cable and your monitor has a display port connection, I would advise to buy this cable right now. Its a much better choice than using HDMI without a doubt, especially if you have a 2012 mac Mini which has some known HDMI issues.
on 24 May 2012
I took a punt on buying a Dell U2711 and simply crossed fingers that this cable would do the trick and give me the monitors' full resolution of 2560x1440 with my late 2011 Macbook Air.

Suffice to say it does the job.
on 7 September 2014
Great value, does exactly what it says - transmits audio and video, no problems whatsoever...

Should be noted that in most cases ONLY DisplayPort will transmit full '2k' signals the majority of the time, with VGA / HDMI (single channel / connection) / DVI not being able to - don't buy yourself a new monitor that supports 2K, and then sell yourself short with anything less than DP!

Absolutely ZERO point in paying big make prices, when this cable performs EXACTLY the same (don't believe the cable hype!)

Well recommended - connecting my iMac to a brand new Dell U2713HM and performing flawlessly.

Also, the 'latching', whilst it make plugging the cables in ever so slightly more snug than normal, you can be relatively assured that they won't fall out of your monitor / device, if you have to move the cables around at all... very good inclusion in the price.
on 5 March 2016
Bought a couple of these, great value for money in comparison to store bought ones however had one fail within a couple of months (although I've been constantly reconnecting devices to monitors with this cables so possible failed due to abuse). Works with mac products, would recommend.