on 11 February 2013
Having looked extensively for a desk lamp and finding that the market ranged to excessive prices for such items, I was pleased to find this lamp. If you intend to located it and let it remain where it is this works well, as the stem does not fix to the base. It has the quality of a short angle poise lamp and is compact enough to fit in the smallest of office spaces... in fact with a ceiling light and bouncing the beam of the desk lamp off a light coloured wall this gives a good result without needing to angle the lamp directly at the work area and suffering glare.
on 19 February 2017
I bought two of these, on discount as customer returns; they were un-damaged, so especially good value.
They're a nice color / finish, and work great with 4W LED bulbs; warm light, cool cheap lamps.
My reservations are:
- The lamps are a bit finger-pinchy, when adjusting the lamps or picking them up to move them; so probably unsuitable for kids. (Yes, I realize there's also a more-serious finger-in-the-bulbholder risk, for very young kids.)
- Picking up the lamp (e.g. by the shade) typically causes the base to fall off. This is a repeated surprise because the base doesn't fall off immediately, it falls off after a few seconds and typically falls or bounces onto the floor; but we don't move the lamps quite often enough to remember this problem.
I'd blame myself for "user error" (for forgetting to hold the base), but this is a lamp that's intended to be adjustable (so we might reasonably assume it's meant to be moved); and so that the base doesn't either latch or bolt on, and might easily damage e.g. a toe, seems a fairly-serious mis-feature.
- It's not immediately obvious whether the mechanism is stiff, or that it's reached the limit of its travel. Partly as a result of this, I snapped (and then repaired) the "peg" that fits into the base, on one lamp. However, I notice that the peg is a tube (rather than solid) and that it broke at a designed-in hole -- so the breakage was (partly) the result of bad design.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 February 2017
Ordered the Lloytron Hobby Desk Lamp to replace a similar angle poise lamp that had finally died after years of use. This arrived promptly and after adding a light bulb and plugging it in, worked perfectly. The lamp is easy to adjust to any angle and stays in place once it has been adjusted without falling over. This is a well made lamp of good quality material that has an inline switch which is easy to reach. Decent size and weight, great lamp for the price.
on 4 April 2014
I purchased this to replace an ancient halogen desk lamp as it was really unuseable.

I decided to buy a Lloytron, and found this model was usually 17pounds on amazon and other sites, then found this listing (purchased it for 11.73). It arrived next day and I was wowed by the quality. I purchased an energy saving E14 bulb and while its not as bright as my halogen, its pleasant to not be blinded every time I mistakenly look at the bulb lol. It was very easily assembled (you just inset the lamp section into the base and twist til it clicks). While not really really bright, it definitely gives enough lighting for me to be able to use my keyboard in the lounge with no other lights on, so very happy. The glossy black colour is very attractive and easy to clean. The lamp is reasonably heavy and the feel is nice and heavy, it doesn't feel nor look like a 'cheap' lamp at all.

I would recommend this lamp to anyone, I have already purchased another one for the bedroom.
on 10 November 2014
I've had the item only for around a week, but so far I am really impressed with this lamp for its price! I've been to various different shops looking for a lamp and some are around £25+ and really aren't as nice as this one seems to be.

Be prepared though, this doesn't seem to take the bulb it says it does! I searched for a compatible bulb on amazon and when it came (with the lamp) it didn't fit! so we had to run to a shop and spent around £10 buying 3 different bulbs just so we could get one that would fit, and they all did. We just judged it by eye and it seemed to work.

It's very flexible which is perfect as a desk lamp, and seriously really helpful. Some reviewers are saying the build quality is poor, but I don't see it. It seems extremely well build, especially for its price!

Also, the bulb I use just doesn't get hot. We had it on over night (so around 8+ hours) and I could touch the bulb safely. Although, I wouldn't advise you do the same, it's just nice that I don't have to worry about burning my hands when maneuvering the lamp around. I wish I could tell you the bulb we're using, but we have discarded the box, but it was about £3 from Tesco.
on 2 December 2014
great lamp for drawing work The only downside is that is does not come with a bulb but actually nowadays I guess that is an advantage for most as most of us use energy saving ones.
I've got a 7 watt spot in mine however it will take up to a 9 W fine for my needs. For the money it is an unbelievable price and looks very good; colour everything.
There was a few small scratches at the back of the lamp where it had been assembled but you don't see them and what concerns me is that it works and works well.
on 18 May 2016
I ordered this lamp for my desk at home and I came across this one day and decided to order it because of the nice design and very reasonable price. Since buying it I have been very satisfied with the overall lamp. The design is very nice and looks good in any part of the house which is great. The light from the bulb is good as it provides sufficient light even in the dark. The bulb that the light came with has not run out yet which is another added bonus.
on 27 January 2015
Don't waste your money. Needed this lamp for extra light on my desk for an urgent project. It arrived promptly, BUT the lamp and base fit together with a plastic flange, the first time I tried to adjust the lamp this flange shattered. As I was on a deadline, rather than go through the hassle of returning it, I just used epoxy to glue the lamp to the base. Not very pretty now, but does the job. This flange is a major design weakness so I would not recommend this lamp.
on 19 December 2014
Bought this lamp for my desk so I can study in darker times of the day, received the lamp in excellent condition and good packaging. It was ready for use straight out of the box and was not hard to set up as the lamp was already put together (although the base had to be put on but no screws required which is a bonus). The lamp provides adequate spread of light which is very good. The structure is very stable (no loose stands or anything).
My only niggle with this product is that bending the wire in certain positions (without a lot of force or twisting) can result in the light flickering on and off, although this is not a problem for normal use.

Overall, very satisfied with product and would recommend it!!
on 18 October 2013
Very few things are absolutely perfect and there are two points which I think should be noted, namely: The heavy base is not fixed to the bottom of the lamp, the light part just fits onto a hole in the base so anyone could lift it and drop the base. The other point concerns the lack of a suitable bulb when it is supplied, this can take some time to obtain as it is a small screw fitting.
The reason I bought it was for use when tying trout and salmon flies as some of them can be intricate and require good lighting. This lamp is just right for this kind of work and it comes at a very reasonable price