1,041

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.
1717 comments| 692 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2015
I was struggling to decide whether to purchase this alarm clock or one of the more expensive models. I read many reviews on various different wake-up lights and in the end I thought "try the cheap option and see how it goes" ... I'm now glad that I didn't spend more money on a more expensive model. Some of the reviews of this alarm clock led me to believe that it would be "noisy" - I suspect the reviewers received defective units as I am a light sleeper and with previous alarms/devices I would awaken the instant that I heard a familiar "click" or "buzz" from the device. This light definitely does not emit any noise.

I find that I wake up around 20 minutes into the 30-minute long cycle (the light takes 30 minutes to adjust from completely off to completely on). So I have set the "alarm" time for the light at 6:10am (meaning that the light will begin illuminating at 5:40am and will be at full brightness at 6:10am) and have set my phone alarm for 6:00am. This seems to work well for me as the light wakes me up shortly before the alarm sounds. On full brightness, this light easily matches the brightness of the 11W LED (60W equivalent) ceiling light in the bedroom.

I only have 2 gripes with this product. The first is that the buttons are a bit "clicky". The second is that in order to turn the display off you must hold the "-" and "+" buttons until the clock emits a loud beep! Not good when your partner's already asleep and you forgot to turn off the display! This is the main reason for not marking the product as 5-star.

The positive aspect of this light, which far outweighs any negatives, is that I wake up far more naturally with this light and don't suffer with the groggy feeling that used to accompany waking up to an alarm in the pitch black.
0Comment| 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2015
Clichéd but this has literally changed my life. I wake up in the morning now and I am actually awake and can get up and do things. Really amazing
on 20 November 2016
What a refreshing SMART alarm clock.

This product arrived in a high quality package and included were an instruction manual which is simple and easy to read and a 42 watt bulb.A UK power cable is also included so no need to worry about adapters..

This device excels well on many fields. Firstly, acting as an alarm clock as well as an audible alarm and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply replace it with this product.

In my experience, this product is much more difficult to operate compared to a traditional alarm clock. I would advise customers not to bin the instruction manual in case they get lost at points when using the product.

The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. However, I have noticed that these buttons are quite noisy when pressed, which is a bit of a bummer especially when you're in bed working the alarm clock.

PLEASE NOTE - The top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, However, vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate BUT I would be vary not to have this product on for too long. (The bulb that is).

Overall, this is quite an excellent bit of kit considering the relatively cheap price compared to other smart alarm clocks. This product aims to stimulate natural sunrises and it does just that, therefore no longer making me heavy-headed in the morning.

If you found this short review useful, please vote "YES" as it helps me out a lot! Thank you.
on 19 January 2014
I love this item , I always awake just as the light comes on and then have 30 minutes of snooze time before the alarm. No more groping for the alarm in the dark after being rudely awakened. I now can get out of bed feeling a lot more alert and able to cope with the hectic mornings and busy workday.
on 6 December 2016
This alarm clock is AMAZING because:
- I used to hate waking up when it was dark, and now it is never dark!
- It used to take me ages to get out of bed, and with this alarm clock I feel more energised as soon as I wake up
- I feel happier all day because of it!

Features I like:
- The sunrise is so gradual that my eyes adjust before I even wake up so I don't have that horrible dazzling moment when I switch the main light on
- I put the sunset setting on when reading in bed, and it helps me to feel relaxed. I put my book down when it gets too dark to read which means I don't stay up too late reading.
- The back up alarm bleep function is good because I never seem to wake up with just the light
- The light turns off autoatically after an hour, so on the odd occasion that I have forgotten to turn it off, it's not going to waste too much energy.

Features I don't like quite so much:
- It was quite complicated to set at first, and you have to remember to set it every night (very easy if you wake up at the same time each day though as you simply press the middle button)
- The bleep sound is horrible. I wish I had invested in the more expensive version with bird sounds/ radio. I have a radio alarm too, so it seems a bit silly that I didn't just buy the more expensive one in the first place.

But it has revolutionised my winters. If you struggle to wake up in the morning, this is a must-buy!
on 27 October 2014
Very difficult to use, and became faulty after a few months. Would not recommend at all and you are far better sticking with a SAD lamp and using this then messing about with this. Now in the bin and seriously don't waste your money !
on 3 January 2013
bought this to aid winter blues early rising in the darkness. The light part is great. It acutally does make you wake up more naturally. BUT, the alarm!!!! AGH!!! it's the most grating over loud piercing blast you have heard in ages. all the good work of the light wasted by the SHOCK TACTICS of the alarm
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We've used a Philips Wake-Up Clock Radio for some time but the downside with that clock is that the bulb is not replaceable (i.e. when the bulb goes the whole unit is dead if it's outside of warranty). I was really keen to try the Lumie. It's more basic than the Philips unit that we are used to which has all sorts of sounds to wake up to (normal alarm, radio, birdsong, etc.) and the brightness that it reaches can also be changed. With the Lumie it always increases to the maximum brightness over the 30 minute period prior to the option alarm sounding. Although the functions are limited it does exactly what you need in a wake-up clock and I've found it great to wake up with over the last week - I actually set the alarm time for 15 minutes after I want to wake up and I find that always wake up 15 minutes into the illumination period - you might find you need full brightness to wake you so try it out to see what suits. I love the fact that I never have to wait to hear the alarm, the light wakes me gently before any noise is needed. You can actually turn the alarm noise off so it's only the light that works - for new users it is probably best trying the clock out a few times before you rely on just the light!

I couldn't imagine trying to use just a normal alarm clock to wake now, I used to find it really difficult to get up in the dark, now the light gently rouses me and I feel refreshed rather than grumpy in the morning! I also like the sunset mode, it's a nice way to gently get to sleep.

I would highly recommend this clock, it is well priced with a user-replaceable bulb and I would say this is the best way to wake up in the morning!
55 comments| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2011
I bought this item after Google-ing about the winter doldrums (I live in London, England!) and found the reviews on this product to claim an increase in energy and to feel somewhat refreshed when waking up. Much to my surprise the claims are true! I love my light and think it's a great buy. I feel more energetic and generally don't wake up in a slump on these long winter mornings. I would most definetly recommened this product to anyone thinking of trying a dawn simulator. It is cute on my night stand and is easy to use. Even though the light is not majorly strong it is still nice to wake up to SOME light around your face.

I was torn between purchasing this Lumie light or the ever-so-expensive Philips brand and must say that I am glad I went with Lumie. There were cheaper options as well but it is true that you get what you pay for and I am happy to have invested the £60 to get this!

Definetly makes these UK winters somewhat bearable lol.

If you are thinking of getting this light - DO!!
11 comment| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse