TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.
1616 comments| 587 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2015
I was struggling to decide whether to purchase this alarm clock or one of the more expensive models. I read many reviews on various different wake-up lights and in the end I thought "try the cheap option and see how it goes" ... I'm now glad that I didn't spend more money on a more expensive model. Some of the reviews of this alarm clock led me to believe that it would be "noisy" - I suspect the reviewers received defective units as I am a light sleeper and with previous alarms/devices I would awaken the instant that I heard a familiar "click" or "buzz" from the device. This light definitely does not emit any noise.

I find that I wake up around 20 minutes into the 30-minute long cycle (the light takes 30 minutes to adjust from completely off to completely on). So I have set the "alarm" time for the light at 6:10am (meaning that the light will begin illuminating at 5:40am and will be at full brightness at 6:10am) and have set my phone alarm for 6:00am. This seems to work well for me as the light wakes me up shortly before the alarm sounds. On full brightness, this light easily matches the brightness of the 11W LED (60W equivalent) ceiling light in the bedroom.

I only have 2 gripes with this product. The first is that the buttons are a bit "clicky". The second is that in order to turn the display off you must hold the "-" and "+" buttons until the clock emits a loud beep! Not good when your partner's already asleep and you forgot to turn off the display! This is the main reason for not marking the product as 5-star.

The positive aspect of this light, which far outweighs any negatives, is that I wake up far more naturally with this light and don't suffer with the groggy feeling that used to accompany waking up to an alarm in the pitch black.
0Comment| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2015
Clichéd but this has literally changed my life. I wake up in the morning now and I am actually awake and can get up and do things. Really amazing
on 30 May 2016
I'll start by saying that I am not a morning person. It's not that I'm a heavy sleeper, I just struggle to get up and prefer to snooze for way too long.

Sick of being almost late at work on a regular basis, I'd read a lot about these "sunrise" type alarm clocks and decided to get one to see if it made any difference. My worry was that the light would not be bright enough to wake me up.

To my surprise I found that I usually wake up about half way through its 30 minute "sunrise cycle". This on its own doesn't stop me from going back to a snooze, but when my alarm does go off a little later I find that I get up quite easily - instead of being jolted out of the semi-coma I'm normally in.

Not only do I get up easier but I actually feel more awake and in a better mood, every day, which is fantastic.

The only downside is, as others have pointed out, is that the controls are a little cumbersome and I dont think the booklet explains how to use it very well. Having to remember to set it every night is a little frustrating too. I also think its slightly more expensive than it needs to be.

Overall, it makes it easier for me to get up and puts me in a better mood for the day so I have no regrets in buying it.
on 3 February 2014
I have now had 2 of these, the second a replacement sent by Amazon customer services (excellent service by the way). Both kept losing time - 3 mins every few days. The first time around it took me a while to realise this - thankfully my husband has a radio alarm clock - otherwise it could have been disastrous. Wonder if anyone else has had this - is it a faulty batch? A shame as the sunrise feature is very good...might have to try another make though, don't want to keep having to send back Lumies!
on 19 January 2014
I love this item , I always awake just as the light comes on and then have 30 minutes of snooze time before the alarm. No more groping for the alarm in the dark after being rudely awakened. I now can get out of bed feeling a lot more alert and able to cope with the hectic mornings and busy workday.
on 18 January 2016
The first couple of nights I used this, it didn't make any difference at all. I just rolled over to where I couldn't see it and slept on. After moving it into a better position I definitely started to see the benefits. While I still need an alarm as the light doesn't fully wake me, it's made getting up so much easier. Instead of being jerked from a deep sleep by my alarm I now find that I'm half awake when the alarm goes off and don't need to snooze at all. I feel more refreshed when I wake up and generally feel more alert throughout the day.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We've used a Philips Wake-Up Clock Radio for some time but the downside with that clock is that the bulb is not replaceable (i.e. when the bulb goes the whole unit is dead if it's outside of warranty). I was really keen to try the Lumie. It's more basic than the Philips unit that we are used to which has all sorts of sounds to wake up to (normal alarm, radio, birdsong, etc.) and the brightness that it reaches can also be changed. With the Lumie it always increases to the maximum brightness over the 30 minute period prior to the option alarm sounding. Although the functions are limited it does exactly what you need in a wake-up clock and I've found it great to wake up with over the last week - I actually set the alarm time for 15 minutes after I want to wake up and I find that always wake up 15 minutes into the illumination period - you might find you need full brightness to wake you so try it out to see what suits. I love the fact that I never have to wait to hear the alarm, the light wakes me gently before any noise is needed. You can actually turn the alarm noise off so it's only the light that works - for new users it is probably best trying the clock out a few times before you rely on just the light!

I couldn't imagine trying to use just a normal alarm clock to wake now, I used to find it really difficult to get up in the dark, now the light gently rouses me and I feel refreshed rather than grumpy in the morning! I also like the sunset mode, it's a nice way to gently get to sleep.

I would highly recommend this clock, it is well priced with a user-replaceable bulb and I would say this is the best way to wake up in the morning!
55 comments| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2014
Green indicater is SO bright you cant get to sleep in the first place so
absolutely unnecessary to be woken up!!

Cannot believe such an expensive clock doesnt have a dimmer control
for the green indicator light which is such an extremely bright luminous green it
looks like a green lazor across your room, if even refects off the walls if
you try n turn it over
on 3 January 2013
bought this to aid winter blues early rising in the darkness. The light part is great. It acutally does make you wake up more naturally. BUT, the alarm!!!! AGH!!! it's the most grating over loud piercing blast you have heard in ages. all the good work of the light wasted by the SHOCK TACTICS of the alarm