Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive playlist - Elton John Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

1,157

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.
1717 Comments| 780 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2015
I was struggling to decide whether to purchase this alarm clock or one of the more expensive models. I read many reviews on various different wake-up lights and in the end I thought "try the cheap option and see how it goes" ... I'm now glad that I didn't spend more money on a more expensive model. Some of the reviews of this alarm clock led me to believe that it would be "noisy" - I suspect the reviewers received defective units as I am a light sleeper and with previous alarms/devices I would awaken the instant that I heard a familiar "click" or "buzz" from the device. This light definitely does not emit any noise.

I find that I wake up around 20 minutes into the 30-minute long cycle (the light takes 30 minutes to adjust from completely off to completely on). So I have set the "alarm" time for the light at 6:10am (meaning that the light will begin illuminating at 5:40am and will be at full brightness at 6:10am) and have set my phone alarm for 6:00am. This seems to work well for me as the light wakes me up shortly before the alarm sounds. On full brightness, this light easily matches the brightness of the 11W LED (60W equivalent) ceiling light in the bedroom.

I only have 2 gripes with this product. The first is that the buttons are a bit "clicky". The second is that in order to turn the display off you must hold the "-" and "+" buttons until the clock emits a loud beep! Not good when your partner's already asleep and you forgot to turn off the display! This is the main reason for not marking the product as 5-star.

The positive aspect of this light, which far outweighs any negatives, is that I wake up far more naturally with this light and don't suffer with the groggy feeling that used to accompany waking up to an alarm in the pitch black.
0Comment| 244 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2015
Clichéd but this has literally changed my life. I wake up in the morning now and I am actually awake and can get up and do things. Really amazing
on 23 January 2017
This has changed my life and the way I wake up.
I struggle with depression, so getting out of bed isn't the easiest for me anyway - however this clock has made a huge difference!
Waking up gently with light means waking up is a much more pleasurable experience, and I feel less tired in the mornings.
on 22 October 2014
I've only used this for a few days, but I LOVE the feeling that I'm waking up to a sunny day! Even though consciously I know it's dark and windy and cold outside, the light seems to fix itself on my subconscious and I wake up with that happy feeling you get when it's a lovely day outside... and that feeling doesn't go away. The manufacturer's description has all the lovely science behind this, I just know that it's much easier to wake up naturally, as I do in the summer months, as opposed to the attack-by-alarm-clock feeling of winter.
on 19 January 2014
I love this item , I always awake just as the light comes on and then have 30 minutes of snooze time before the alarm. No more groping for the alarm in the dark after being rudely awakened. I now can get out of bed feeling a lot more alert and able to cope with the hectic mornings and busy workday.
on 11 August 2014
When I first bought this I would have given in 5* as it worked brilliantly. However the bulb only has a 6 month warranty and the base has a 2yr warranty. The clock broke just outside its warranty. The cost for repair is £20 + postage to them (must be special delivery which will be at least £10) and then postage back to me £6. The customer services manager tells me that the clocks last for about 2 years and he thinks that's reasonable. I disagree and I'm not willing to spend on average £30 a year for an alarm clock!
on 5 March 2017
works fine. One draw back is that the time is very brightly lit. No problem if the alarm is set to go off in the morning because the light to the clock turns off. However, if you're sleeping in the next day and the alarm is off, there is no way to turn the clock light off except by turning it off at the main. It then forgets the time and you have to reset. This gets tedious
on 20 November 2016
What a refreshing SMART alarm clock.

This product arrived in a high quality package and included were an instruction manual which is simple and easy to read and a 42 watt bulb.A UK power cable is also included so no need to worry about adapters..

This device excels well on many fields. Firstly, acting as an alarm clock as well as an audible alarm and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply replace it with this product.

In my experience, this product is much more difficult to operate compared to a traditional alarm clock. I would advise customers not to bin the instruction manual in case they get lost at points when using the product.

The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. However, I have noticed that these buttons are quite noisy when pressed, which is a bit of a bummer especially when you're in bed working the alarm clock.

PLEASE NOTE - The top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, However, vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate BUT I would be vary not to have this product on for too long. (The bulb that is).

Overall, this is quite an excellent bit of kit considering the relatively cheap price compared to other smart alarm clocks. This product aims to stimulate natural sunrises and it does just that, therefore no longer making me heavy-headed in the morning.

If you found this short review useful, please vote "YES" as it helps me out a lot! Thank you.
on 2 December 2011
Good product. I found the manual very intelligble (contrary to what I read in other reviews prior to purchasing). Have been trying it for a week now and am still discerning whether it is the sunrise light that wakes me up or the excitement of the alarm clock(have noticed I dream more often and as a result have felt more awake in the morning). Only down side to the alaram clock is the alarm clock's function (beep tone) where one is woken up by a rather harsh beep (takes away the subtleness of the light), and no way to turn the volume of the beep down.